Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #91
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Space/Spaceships] TL9 nomad fleet - playable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
The thing that bothers me about a lot of Sci Fi with poeple being in space for long periods is that atmosphear is happily vented here and there. If you think about atmosphear is a valueble resource to a space based society and losing it would be very troublesome if it's not easy to replace.
Which is another reason to have the mining and refinery systems.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #92
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
The thing that bothers me about a lot of Sci Fi with poeple being in space for long periods is that atmosphear is happily vented here and there. If you think about atmosphear is a valueble resource to a space based society and losing it would be very troublesome if it's not easy to replace.
When is it vented? Every airlock I've seen cycles the air back into the ship, it doesn't vent it. The only "venting" I know of is maneuvering thrusters, and well, that's what water ice is for. Crack it for Hydrogen and O2. If you have completely closed systems, you never need new resources at all.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #93
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
When is it vented?
In skiffy movies.
Quote:
Every airlock I've seen cycles the air back into the ship, it doesn't vent it.
Yeah, that's kind of why they are called "airlocks". :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #94
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

OK, it's hard to believe, but I'll actually try to use this idea as the main campaign for the time being (with COC frozen again). The setting I picked is based heavily on Star Control (set after the events of SC2, with the campaign resembling the SC3 setup in many ways) - I'm modifying it for playability. Ship TLs are bumped to 10 (to get most of the neat systems), but personal-scale items will be kept closer to TL9.

Information for those who have no idea what SC is like (synopsis):
Spoiler:  

Races that will be involved in the campaign (with spoilers for those who don't know SC):
Earthling/Human (meh)
Chmmr
Spoiler:  

Yehat
Spoiler:  

Ur-Quan Kzer-Za (Green) and Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah (Black); size downplayed for purposes of playability to SM+0 to SM+2.
Spoiler:  

Syreen
Spoiler:  

Arilou exiles
Spoiler:  

Androsynth (yes, Androsynth)
Spoiler:  

The campaign is set during the events of SC3's introduction, specifically:

The war is over, the Ur-Quan are defeated, and are in a situation somewhat resembling that of the Germans between WWII and now. All would be well, but in some sort of galaxy-spanning phenomenon, Hyperspace becomes inaccessible. Communication between the various homeworlds and colonies is broken.
(This is where the exact events of SC3 are interrupted, but the theme/storyline stays pretty much the same.)

Turns out that he Androsynth weren't destroyed, but rather were displaced into another dimensional 'pocket'; the 'collapse' of Hyperspace had the side effect of letting them escape their 'prison'. And time spent there was not wasted. They discovered no less than three other forms of hyperspace-like phenomena: subspatial wormholes, pockets, and a Hyperspace-like dimension they called W-Space (no relation to Quasi Space of SC2, but something different).

This whole set of discoveries were not without exactly new - much of this was gained through the research of a giant precursor vessel found in the pocket dimension. Upon return to their devastated colony world, and realizing that rebuilding it, given their reduced population and limited resources, would a problematic and slow process, the Androsynth decided to contact the other races of their faction. Their first contact, to the big surprise of everyone involved, was a mixed fleet of Arilou and stranded Ur-Quan in an uninhabited system. It took quite a while for them to fill each other in on all the news. In fact, the Arilou captains decided that the situation was such that they decided to reveal some of their hidden knowledge about the nature of space in the hopes of overcoming the current hyperspace crisis.

Together, they travel to the only naturally occurring portal to Quasi Space, where, in a spatial pocket the Arilou homeworld is located. The Arilou captains were the only ones allowed to approach the planet. As they later explained, the council decided that the captains in question created a risk for the Arilou, and thus they were exiled - allowed interact with other races with no limits, but deprived of hidden knowledge and technologies.

The Androsynth proceed to fly through several more races' systems in the hopes of strengthening the fleet before its journey in search for the source of the hyperspatial anomalies. They attempt to gather as many ships as they can carry with them with crews that are reasonably capable in diplomacy, research, unusual situation, and tend to ask questions before shooting.

Thus, the flagship, along with one typical ship from each of the eight races, jumps through a seasonal wormhole that the scientists believed leads to the source of the anomaly.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #95
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I'm intending to adjust production speeds so that new ships aren't made trivially fast, yet their construction and repair is reasonable on the campaign scale (say, couple months). I'm currently trying to construct SC2 ships using SS rules as close to the spirit of the original as possible, and expecting to put them between SM+6 and SM+10 or 12. Flagship probably larger, and fighters SM+4.

I'm intending the PCs to take positions of moderate to high rank. Some prime roles I'm thinking of (with a hope to make different players take different roles):

CAG (for the Ur-Quan fighter squadron, preferably an Ur-Quan too)
Chief of scientific research and/or engineering (may or may not be a single person)
Diplomatic representatives (no more than one per race)
Flagship XO and/or other ship captain.
Landing party and/or infantry commander of some sort.

Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 12-05-2010 at 06:01 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nomad fleet, self-sufficiency, space, spaceships