Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Otaku

Default [Supers] Undetectable As A Super

This came up while trying to build a Supers character I've had lurking in my head for the last decade or two. The short version is that, when not actively using their Super powers, they don't "register" as a Super to the in-setting means of detecting supers/super powers.

For example, if another character has Detect that works on any trait with the "Super" Power Modifier,* it wouldn't actually work on the Super I've been trying to build unless he's actively using his powers. The same goes any technology that can detect traits with the "Super" Power Modifier.

This effect seems a bit to valuable to argue for it as "fluff". Would it be some form of Invisibility? Or maybe use Alternate Form if the form without any powers already enjoys this benefit? Yes, this means he'd need time to transform into the super-powered version of the character, but I was debating doing that anyway.

*If this isn't a kosher option for Detect, feel free to let me know how to model a similar effect.

Addendum: The character I'm designing is not for any specific campaign. Just an idea that popped into my head some time ago, and something finally got me to the point of "...okay, let's build him in GURPS." The good news/bad news is that means I can't tell you things like "The GM said this is okay." or "That is off limits."
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 02-23-2023 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added Addendum
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [Supers] Undetectable As A Super

Canonically, this would be Obscure 10 (Detect Supers; Stealthy +100%) [40] with a further Limitation for only working on yourself (I think Thaumatology: Sorcery put it at -10%, which would reduce the cost to [38], but I could be misremembering). Always On -50% might be appropriate (reducing cost by [10]), although a lesser Limitation value may be more fair considering it can be turned off; perhaps -20% (saving [4]) would be better? Regardless, you'd probably set it as an Alternate Ability to the Metatrait that represents all of your character's powers - basically you can switch between having the Obscure and having all of your powers. Most likely the Obscure will cost less, reducing cost to 1/5th. Putting it all together, it's probably Obscure 10 (Detect Supers; Stealthy +100%; Always On -20%; Self Only -10%; Alternate Ability x1/5) [6.8], which rounds up to [7].

If there are multiple distinct means of detecting supers, you may want to toss on one or more instance of Extended +20% to cover additional means. It's up to the GM if these means are sufficiently-distinct to call for it.

If you think hiding from something that detects supers is less useful than being invisible or inaudible, you could adjust the base price of Obscure.

Last edited by Varyon; 02-21-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
JulianLW

From Thaumatology: Magical Styles, this perk:

Quote:
Secret Mage

You’re trained at minimizing your magical emanations. For the purpose of the Aura spell (p. B249), your Magery and associated magical advantages and perks are “secret” traits, comparable to lycanthropy, vampirism, etc. Thus, your magical gifts only show up on a critical success – or when you use them visibly. This also affects Detect advantages that can sense mages.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
From Thaumatology: Magical Styles, this perk:
Honestly, this is probably priced more fairly than my Obscure build. Obscure isn't a great fit for this - it has the same base cost regardless of if you're blocking vision or a vague detection ability, it's priced assuming it's an area effect, and so forth - but is the only real building block we have for stuff like this. My first assumption was a Perk anyway, so this works better.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #5
Otaku

I thank both of you for your answers! The Perk sounds good to me, but I'll keep the Obscure build just in case.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Immunity to Detect might be useful as well. That might be at the [5] level, and might be at the [10]

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:35 PM   #7
David Johnston2

One approach to being undetectable is "This is the X-Men universe and there are mutant detectors everywhere. But they only work on mutants and I'm not a mutant. I'm an alien or a magician or a cyborg or something with another power modifier so rare that nobody's on the look out for it."

In other words a literal Unusual Origin probably only worth 5 points because while they aren't on the lookout for aliens with superpowers they are on the lookout for superpowers. But that wouldn't be an "I'm only detectable when using my power"
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:51 AM   #8
Otaku

First, let me state that I edited my original comment: I wanted to be clear I'm just making this character for the fun of it.

Second,
since the character is a work-in-progress and I like it when generic, universal answers can help others, I'm trying not to go into too many character-specific details. I will share some of the details unlikely to change, as talking around them is proving cumbersome. The character's superhero name is "Stick Shift", and he's a Speedster using Alternate Forms to model different "Gears" of his speed. "Neutral" is his normal human state, and the idea is that one of its benefits is while in Neutral, stuff that can detect Supers will "see" him as a normal human.

Third, I have read ericthered's response, and I will keep it in mind. Thanks, eric.

Fourth, I have read David Johnston2's comment, and you did me a favor, David. :) I debated citing how mutants are (were?) handled in Marvel Comics, but I worried it would be too confusing. I think I can build on what you said.

Imagine a Stick Shift is a mutant in the Marvel Comics setting. When something like a Sentinel or Cererbro or [insert character with mutant-detecting powers] interacts with Stick Shift while he's "in Neutral", Stick Shift registers as a baseline human (flatscan). When he's in any other Gear, however, he'll be detected as a mutant (as just being in a gear other than Neutral is "using his powers").

Again, the character I'm working on is just a generic "Super", but I'm building him assuming a setting where the "Super" power modifier is worth -10%. It may seem like "Why would it matter if 'stuff' can detect him as a Super while obviously using his powers?" Like I said, just being in a Gear is "using his powers". I am also assuming a "kitchen sink" setting, so even when he's running around at superhuman speed, knowing he's a Super (with the Super, -10% Power Modifier) and not a different Power Modifier is important. Oh, and that he's not an illusion being used to trick whomever or whatever is doing the detecting.

Hopefully I have made things more clear instead of less. >.> Thank you all again for weighing in; feel free to keep the discussion going if you have more to add. :)
Old 02-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #9
Anaraxes

If all the super abilities are hidden in the AFs, then you might get away with No Signature on the base form cost of 15. (In human form, there's nothing else to mask until you change; the only weird ability you have at that point is exactly the ability to change.) Only 3 points that way, but still more than the Perk.

Certainly arguable that you should have to pay to mask the whole point pool as well. That would make more powerful supers easier to detect, or else more expensive to hide.

If the setting is such that you need to hide from the Sentinels, then it's probably too cheap to let the supes easily hide for a point or three.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:35 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If all the super abilities are hidden in the AFs, then you might get away with No Signature on the base form cost of 15. (In human form, there's nothing else to mask until you change; the only weird ability you have at that point is exactly the ability to change.) Only 3 points that way, but still more than the Perk.
No Signature on Alternate Form would just mean it's not obvious when you change form that you've done so. Reinterpreting No Signature as "the character doesn't scan as having this ability to foes who can discern that" is a pretty decent idea, however.

With Alternate Form in play, there's another option available - put Super -10% on all of the abilities he gets access to when in any Gear above Neutral, but don't put Super -10% on Alternate Form itself. When not "transformed," he doesn't actually have the Super modifier at all, and thus won't scan as such. Note this will also mean the character can technically switch into First Gear (or higher) even when in a situation where his powers are suppressed... he just won't be able to use any of that form's special abilities.

I do still feel the Perk is the most fair, however.

Tags
alternate form, detect, invisibility, supers