Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2023, 12:31 PM   #541
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
the planet is functionally "on its side," with the moons orbiting at a roughly constant distance from the system's star. r.
if you mean like Uranus that doesn't work. Uranus is on it's side compared to most of the planets with a 90 degree tilt but it doesn't point it's "North Pole" continuously at the Sun. That changes where it's pointed by orbital position/time of year. I don't know if it's even possible to have such a "fixed" polar direction.

Over a few million (or maybe tens or hundreds of) years any moons of the polar-centric GG would end up in that planets equatorial plane and with their poles pointed in the same direction. So they'd have perpetual brigthsides/darksides and you'd really have to have that atmospheric superrotation.

It doesn't appear to take special events to "flip" planets like this though. Theory says Venus used to spin in the same direction as most of the planets until chaotic influences caused it to flip 180 degrees and spin "backwards".

This won't ever happen to Earth because our Moon stabilizes things.

If you want say "Magic!" just remember that it has to be really big Magic! and longlasting too.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:00 PM   #542
adm

Another issue I would note is that large gas giants hoover up a lot of asteroids and comets etc. Note the number of impact caters on many of those moons, or on the "outside face of Earth's moon.

Not a lot of fun.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:23 PM   #543
ehrbar

If you assume the star is the Sun, the gas giant is the mass of Jupiter, the orbital distance is 1 AU, and the orbital radius of the gas giant is near enough to circular as makes no difference, you get a Hill sphere radius of about 0.07 AU, or 10 million km (assuming I didn't screw up my calculations). In practice, stable satellite orbits are generally closer than half of the Hill sphere radius, or in this case about 5 million km of the gas giant. Of course, the further out you are from the gas giant, the more variation you get in solar distance during the time going around the gas giant, and the longer it takes (giving more time to cool off when far from the Sun, and more time to heat up near the Sun).

You can play some tricks, of course. Drag the gas giant's orbital radius out to Martian distances, then give the planet-moons atmospheres thicker than Earth's (for more greenhouse forcing, more insulation, more convection, and more shielding from the gas giant's magnetosphere-related radiation), for example.

Keeping the planet-moons spinning at roughly once per 24 hours rather than getting tidally-locked to the gas giant could help a lot, and magic could do that. Sure, it'd be big and powerful magic, but you can have it operating down at the solid inner core of the planet-moons where nobody can get at it or examine it. Giving the planet-moons their own powerful magnetic fields as a consequence of the magical rotation of their cores to help shield them from charged particles interacting with the gas giant's magnetosphere, too.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:34 PM   #544
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar View Post
I have it operating down at the solid inner core of the planet-moons where nobody can get at it or examine it. Giving the planet-moons their own powerful magnetic fields as a consequence of the magical rotation of their cores to help shield them from charged particles interacting with the gas giant's magnetosphere, too.
If the cores are solid rather than molten you can run an iron bar from pole to pole and magnetize that. Leave a few meters sticking out at each end and paint them candy-stripe red and white if you have dubious sense of humor like mine.

This would give you a much bigger and stronger magnetic field than Earth's and no rotation would be required. With the GG's magnetic field to feed them the Van Allen belt-equivalents would be much more intense than Earth's.

You would get he fantastic view back in the form of polar auroras though.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 PM   #545
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If the cores are solid rather than molten you can run an iron bar from pole to pole and magnetize that.
True.

I was assuming Earth-type geology complete with a molten outer core and a solid inner core, but that's of course not the only possible arrangement.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:10 AM   #546
Prince Charon

Poll remains open for now, partly because the discussion is interesting, and might be ongoing. That said, the votes so far (if I'm counting correctly) are four for 6, two for 1, and one each for 2, 3, and 4.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 AM   #547
TGLS

6) But also one of the "moons" is an ancient (not necessarily capital A ancient) space station that deflects hazardous asteroids and comets.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #548
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Over a few million (or maybe tens or hundreds of) years any moons of the polar-centric GG would end up in that planets equatorial plane and with their poles pointed in the same direction. So they'd have perpetual brigthsides/darksides and you'd really have to have that atmospheric superrotation.

I don't think that gives you bright-sides and dark-sides though. You do get the tide locking effect, but it locks to the planet, not to the star, and I think planets are generally far enough away from their moons that the moon still gets a lot of light from the star.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #549
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I don't think that gives you bright-sides and dark-sides though. You do get the tide locking effect, but it locks to the planet, not to the star, and I think planets are generally far enough away from their moons that the moon still gets a lot of light from the star.
The moons would be in the same situation as the planet with one pole perpetually pointed at the star just like the planet (which i am still not sure is possible).
Old 03-28-2023, 10:21 AM   #550
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The moons would be in the same situation as the planet with one pole perpetually pointed at the star just like the planet (which i am still not sure is possible).
I don't think its possible either: Uranus gets full sun coverage over the course of its year. You would get some pretty extreme seasonal cycles though. Normally I'd say extreme seasons is a downer, but these are supposed to be desert elves, and I think they're nomadic? So it could be a fun bit of color.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding