Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-23-2021, 04:44 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Real Life Cities in Your Campaign

My Laundryverse campaign was mostly set in present-day London, some of it in bits that I knew very well from having lived there as a child. London will have a suitable spot for almost anything.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
sgtcallistan

Default Re: Real Life Cities in Your Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Okay, ITT, we discuss what cities out of real life we use as settings for our games.snip (For the sake of the thread, we'll be counting "renamed" or "fictionalized" (ala Liberty City in GTA4 as a stand-in for the real NYC) real life cities as counting.)
ship.
Have used my home county in a game: our celto-viking Northmen went to the country across the great west river, and found people who's language we can puzzle out, are in the throes of a religious schism (cities of Cantwaraburh 'the unconquered sun' v Hrothcaister 'the undefeated sun' sects) in a region that is also divided by a middle river into two areas which have traditionally had differing-in-detail law codes.
Naturally, the two different divides do not coincide, and the local landowners fund religious / learning institutions in competitions of piety, while looking to have cheap foreign wars to fund all this.
We've pursued a high-risk, 'all or bust' plan of kidnapping the military overlord's favourite daughter, hostaging one of the local magnate's princes, and have done our level best to show them that our ways are better, even allowing a sun temple in our capital (though the High King ain't wot he used to be).

All of this is happening in a land based upon my home county of Kent in England, as if the Celts were 'just across the water'.
It's all underpinned with very profitable trade both ways that everyone stands to lose from if a real fight starts.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cities, hot spots, locations, setting