Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
nerdvana

Default Re: Psychic Character Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If you provide a list of what you want to do, and your point budget for powers, we'll be better able to help.
I second that and also suggest that you consider what you want to be able to do in the long run and what you would be satisfied doing at the beginning (think about how characters in CRPGs and other TTRPGs tend to develop over time... i.e. leveling up!)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
icefyer

So far I've got a budget of about 300 points with some basic disadvantages like Very Fat, Social Stigma: Psionics level 1, with Chummy and Weirdness magnet for flavor and Can't Harm Innocents version of Pacifist. I've already implemented the earlier Healing idea with AOE, selective area with a focus required to use the ability. I might either get the Recover Energy spell or Control Breath skill to represent meditation to restore fatigue. Not sure which I should go for, if either at all. Went for a decent IQ of about 14 with the others at their defaults, pumped my fatigue up to 20 since the character relies a lot on his powers. Honestly not sure if that's enough.

As for what I'd want to do, would it help if I posted a snippet of the backstory? So far all I've got other than fluff is that he's the team's medic and resident expert of mind-over-matter, Green Lantern style when not counting the healing, so he might bind someone in psychokinetic ghostly-looking hands reaching out of the ground zombie-hand style to hold someone in place or might gag someone with a similar construct with the properties of duct tape across their face. So he basically relies almost exclusively on his powers when not doing something strictly skill-based like, say, piloting a ship.

If that point seems high, we've also got that mage I mentioned earlier who casts magic through his guns and a mecha pilot, Titanfall style with a bit of technomancy.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot about the racial benefits. I've got an idea of how to stat immunity to toxins, but not sure about, say a tail that helps balance or an inborn scientific ability.

Last edited by icefyer; 11-17-2014 at 05:05 PM.
icefyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefyer View Post
... not sure about, say a tail that helps balance or an inborn scientific ability.
Try the Perfect Balance advantage, and a Talent for scientific skills. Power-Ups 3: Talents has examples, but it's not hard to roll your own.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Also (and I hope this doesn't sound trite) I would ask your GM to help you because any GURPS GM should be aware of how easily it can be overwhelming to a new player.
- Give any and all required assistance to all players, during character creation, short of actually creating the characters for them, ought to be a mandatory element of Code of Honor (GM). But it isn't (and most GMs don't have CoH anyway).

As for GURPS Psionic Powers, which Sir Pudding referred to, I get the impression the OP isn't using it, but I think he ought to. It's an excellent resource.

Also, there are supplements to GURPS Psionic Powers. I haven't read them closely (to put it mildly), but it's my impression that one of them is heavy on Templates and on slot-in abilities for Templates. I don't know which one, but given how few supplements there are in the Psionic Powers series, it's easily to determine which one (or to determine that that particular supplement doesn't exist and that I'm misremembering).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
So far I've got a budget of about 300 points with some basic disadvantages like Very Fat, Social Stigma: Psionics level 1, with Chummy and Weirdness magnet for flavor and Can't Harm Innocents version of Pacifist. I've already implemented the earlier Healing idea with AOE, selective area with a focus required to use the ability. I might either get the Recover Energy spell or Control Breath skill to represent meditation to restore fatigue. Not sure which I should go for, if either at all. Went for a decent IQ of about 14 with the others at their defaults, pumped my fatigue up to 20 since the character relies a lot on his powers. Honestly not sure if that's enough.
In addition to, or rather than extra FP, consider an Energy Reserve. The parallel regeneration can be invaluable.
Quote:
Green Lantern style when not counting the healing, so he might bind someone in psychokinetic ghostly-looking hands reaching out of the ground zombie-hand style to hold someone in place or might gag someone with a similar construct with the properties of duct tape across their face. So he basically relies almost exclusively on his powers when not doing something strictly skill-based like, say, piloting a ship.
There's only so much Green Lantern you can get on 300 points. The primary ability is Telekinesis with Visible. You can use Bindings and Afflictions or Innate Attacks as Alternative Attacks to round it out.
Quote:

Edit: Oh, almost forgot about the racial benefits. I've got an idea of how to stat immunity to toxins, but not sure about, say a tail that helps balance or an inborn scientific ability.
See "Resistant", "Talent" and as mentioned before "Perfect Balance" all in the Basic Set.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation