Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Toa Kraka

Default Large Projectiles

Standard GURPS projectiles are typically pretty small--around SM -10 from the front. But what about an SM -2 boulder thrown by a giant (not Overhead, but in a low trajectory), or an SM +1 Naruto-style fireball sailing along the ground? It seems to me that such an Innate Attack should have some sort of limitation to reflect the fact that the user:
  • Can't shoot through arrow slits;
  • Fires a large, slow (relative to arrows/slingstones), and easily-visible projectile; and
  • Must aim very carefully in dense forests.
On the other hand, there's a benefit to the attacker in wide-open spaces, since the projectile is large and hard to dodge. I can imagine a system whereby a ninja would have his Ally (No roll required; Explosive; Flammable; Minion; Summonable) attempt to Slam his target, but that seems rather overcomplicated.

Maybe SM could be subtracted from attack rolls in forests and/or added to defense rolls all the time? But that still leaves the question of how much the limitation should cost.

(Of course, if this has already been covered in a book I don't have, please feel free to enlighten me.)
Toa Kraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Large Projectiles

I there any specific reason you want to complicate things? I'm asking because from your post it seems to be more theoretical than an actual problem in your games.
Remember that the rules are still an abstraction not a physical exorcise.

Anyway, to answer your actual questions.

For bullets. People do not dodge the actual bullet so its size doesn't matter. They dodge the gun pointed at you. This is also why there are optional rule that outright forbid dodges against bullets unless it's within your perception range (See GURPS: Tactical Shooting).

If you want the innate attacks to be more or less easy to dodge you could simply add a modifier that does exactly that. But in general and certainly based on your examples, I think it will cancel out.
The fireball is big an visible (easy to notice and avoid) but really big (hard to get far enough away from). Same with the boulder (big, but slow).

---

[edit ]Projectile size will matter if you can Parry the attack, but matters not for dodging.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
[edit ]Projectile size will matter if you can Parry the attack, but matters not for dodging.
it matter in wither the attack should be cr, or some type of pi. but that not so much modifier bur choosing the right base ability.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Toa Kraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Projectile size will matter if you can Parry the attack, but matters not for dodging.
Okay, I see that the Parrying Heavy Weapons sidebar on B376 kind of deals with that--I guess an ST value could be assigned to the attack (perhaps based on its speed and mass?)--but what about the problems that I outlined in the bullet points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
It matters in determining whether the attack should be Crushing, or some type of Piercing; but that's not so much modifier as choosing the right base advantage.
All the attacks in question are definitely Crushing Attacks. I'm not trying to relate wounding modifiers to projectile size--rather, I'm endeavoring to relate some sort of (probably negative) modifier to projectile size, reflecting the bullet points in my initial post.

As for the slowness of the projectile, it almost seems as if it should be based on Guided somehow, but without Concentration or redirection of the attack...or maybe not.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toa Kraka View Post
On the other hand, there's a benefit to the attacker
The main RAW benefit is the Large Area Injury.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Toa Kraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The main RAW benefit is the Large Area Injury.
Oh! Yes, exactly! But there doesn't seem to be a modifier that accounts for putting that on anything other than an Area Attack, Cone, or Explosion, and an Area Attack just doesn't match a Fireball that's moving horizontally.

Now that you've reminded me of this rule's existence, that Ally option is looking more desirable: Want a Fireball Technique? Summon up the fist of an SM +7 Fire Elemental!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toa Kraka View Post
Oh! Yes, exactly! But there doesn't seem to be a modifier that accounts for putting that on anything other than an Area Attack, Cone, or Explosion, and an Area Attack just doesn't match a Fireball that's moving horizontally.
It's automatically an effect of an attack with a big enough SM difference. This balanced by the fact that it's harder to hit with by the same difference.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
JCurwen3

It seems like at a certain SM difference any piercing attack should change to a crushing attack (and the various pi, pi-, pi+, etc scaling up and down).

If we visited a world where humans were planet-sized (and somehow this made sense) and all their guns were scaled up accordingly, if they shot at a regular sized human the tip of the bullet would be larger than the area of a regular human body. Or, if you'd shoot a bullet at a microbe...

And, I suppose, it's the other way around too.

Unless I'm really off on my reasoning here, which is totally possible.

Tags
naruto, ranged