Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Kfireblade

Default Stating custom firearms

So, I have a TL 5 character who I think wants to use something a bit bigger then any of the TL 5 revolvers in high-tech, I think maybe a .50 out of a gun a bit bigger then the Colt .45. Getting it shouldn't be that big an issue I don't think, visit a good gunsmith and have him custom make the gun, but have no idea how I would then stat it out?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
elaxter

Default Re: Stating custom firearms

For a .50 cal revolver I would just use the stats for the Ruger Super Redhawk (RSRh). Reduce the damage by 1 (so it's 5d-2 pi+) to reflect poorer quality propellant (unless this isn't an issue) and change the reload time to whatever seems appropriate. Range is that of the RSRh. RoF should match other TL5 revolvers. ST is definitely 12. Bulk is -3. Stats like weight, cost, max shots, etc. are up to you.

That should have you set.
elaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
So, I have a TL 5 character who I think wants to use something a bit bigger then any of the TL 5 revolvers in high-tech, I think maybe a .50 out of a gun a bit bigger then the Colt .45. Getting it shouldn't be that big an issue I don't think, visit a good gunsmith and have him custom make the gun, but have no idea how I would then stat it out?
Something like this? ;)

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/eng...r-hand-cannon/

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Ya, something along those line, probably with a barrel length more in line with the long colt and 6 chambers not 5.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaxter View Post
For a .50 cal revolver I would just use the stats for the Ruger Super Redhawk (RSRh).et.
No. No black powder revolver will be loaded to even half the p.s.l. of the especially in the .454 Casull that's featured in HT.

The _extremely_ rare but not custom-made gun your PC wants is the .577 Trantor already mentioned. It has a write-up on p.13 of Adventure Gus and stats in the table on p.18.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/adventureguns/

Hans research is impeccable and reading Adventure Guns beats the heck out of jsut making stuff up yourself.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No. No black powder revolver will be loaded to even half the p.s.l. of the especially in the .454 Casull that's featured in HT.

The _extremely_ rare but not custom-made gun your PC wants is the .577 Trantor already mentioned. It has a write-up on p.13 of Adventure Gus and stats in the table on p.18.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/adventureguns/

Hans research is impeccable and reading Adventure Guns beats the heck out of jsut making stuff up yourself.
I don't think so, I just looked at it and its less powerful then the .45, I would imagine because of a combination of its shorter barrel length and the cartridge not being powerful enough to really send the bullet down range with enough power. The acc of 1 is also not great, means a VF version would still only be acc 3 instead of 4.

Last edited by Kfireblade; 04-02-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Kfireblade

Although, that's probably actually a great place to start still. If I work backwards I can use the barrel shortening rules from tactical shooting to lengthen instead, and then it would probably be within the realm of reason to get one also custom made with an extra chamber on the cylinder and designed for a longer and maybe like, 30%, more powerful cartridge. It would just be slightly bigger (well, significantly in terms of barrel length) and heavier.

Last edited by Kfireblade; 04-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
If I work backwards I can use the barrel lengthening rules from high-tech . . .
Got a page reference for that?

Quote:
and then it would probably be within the realm of reason to get one also custom made with an extra chamber on the cylinder and designed for a longer and maybe like, 30%, more powerful cartridge.
Completely custom cartridges are expensive and take time to develop. A revolver in the .557 Snider cartridge that was used in Snider carbines (Adventure Guns, p. 25) would do about 3d (0.5) pi++ with a hollow-point bullet. I think that's the parent case for the .577 Boxer cartridge that the Tranter fires. This gun will be huge, expensive, and recoil like a startled mule, but if that's what you want . .
Quote:
The acc of 1 is also not great, means a VF version would still only be acc 3 instead of 4.
Sadly, you can't make a Very Fine (Accurate) version of a gun unless its basic Acc is at least 4. See p. 79 in High-Tech.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
FrackingBiscuit

Quote:
I don't think so, I just looked at it and its less powerful then the .45
Don't forget that the Trantor is huge piercing, not large piercing. Colt M1873 averages 12 damage, Trantor averages 18.
FrackingBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #10
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Got a page reference for that?

Sadly, you can't make a Very Fine (Accurate) version of a gun unless its basic Acc is at least 4. See p. 79 in High-Tech.
Oh, huh, I don't read most of the books cover to cover so I'd missed that. Quality rules in basic set do let you, and that's just what I'd always rolled with.

Tags
firearms, guns, hightech.