Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Chacteristic foods of your campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
And presumably, Marines have to be trained in surviving on plants and animals?
I'm reminded of James H. Schmitz's "The End of the Line," set in a far future where everyone has lived on vat-grown tissues for so long that eating any natural organism is a death sentence. Except that there are mutants with superhuman digestive powers. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
Phantasm

Liquid Plutonium, a drink for dragons and others of a supernatural constitution, seems to pop up a lot in the last few years.

An alternative in my last Star Wars game was a Krayt Dragonfire, made with genuine Hutt Sauce, among other ingredients.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
jason taylor

I imagine mead drunk at Departure and Homecoming(a trading people's substitute for sowing and reaping) as mead comes from a "trading animal".

Game is eaten on any ritual occasion and especially on a war patrol. Hares are an easy game to enclose in a park(hunters have to buy a limited number of bullets, limited time or other fixed rules to give the hares a chance).

Blood-red wine is for military units after a successful mission.

Spiked coffee is for weddings.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-26-2015 at 05:29 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Dead Monky

I suppose the signature food of my game world would be rahk. It's made in large vats in which people throw all organic waste (and I do mean all). The vats use a combination of magic and chemistry to render it all down into a bland, if nutritious, surimi-like mush. It's a staple food of poor people, travelers, and of course adventurers. It's also the source of a lot of jokes during games.

Last edited by Dead Monky; 01-26-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Minor rewrite to better clarify intent.
Dead Monky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Kalzazz

Dwarven Vodka is a staple in my fantasy, dating back to around 2001 or so when looking at the Earthdawn map we decided Throal looked to be somewhere around the Ukraine, so thus, Dwarven Vodka!
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm reminded of James H. Schmitz's "The End of the Line," set in a far future where everyone has lived on vat-grown tissues for so long that eating any natural organism is a death sentence. Except that there are mutants with superhuman digestive powers. . . .
Ironic considering how humans are essentially fragile herbivores with an "unnatural" taste for meat.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Last monster the party killed, seasoned with garlic. On a stick.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I run a fantasy city police campaign a couple of times a year, in a not-too-serious manner, for murder mysteries. I noticed that it has a couple of characteristic foods - bacon sandwiches and take-away pies - which aren't surprising for street-level policing, although the latest murder victim's pie-buying habits did supply a clue.

A THS campaign I played also had characteristic cuisine - the newest Chinese restaurant in town, whatever it served - but that was a PC's hobby.

Do your campaigns have characteristic food?
In a few points in my world, characteristic foods pop up. In a future setting in that world, early 22nd century, the most expensive food in the world is an imported (from off-planet) truffle, so expensive that it's literally worth many times its weight in platinum, and mainly consumed on Earth by royalty and the very highest aristocrats and wealthiest tycoons. On its planet of origin, it's considered 'poor folks' food'.

One of my NPC characters is an immortal (or nearly so) woman, who often teases her modern-day American husband and children about being 'food wimps' because they are so finicky about what is acceptable food (in millennia of life, she's seen every imaginable food preference and prejudice come and go). For their part, they've learned never to trust a 'just try it' from her without confirming exactly what it is they're sampling first.

That same family drinks a lot of lemonade, sort of a running joke.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That in turn reminds me of an old running joke on the old Buck Rogers TV show. In the 25C almost everybody (at least in the civilized high tech cities) lives on 'food disks' of processed plant matter. Buck Rogers is willing (and even eager) to eat natural plants and to eat meat, which creates a simultaneous revulsion and fascination even among his friends.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
That in turn reminds me of an old running joke on the old Buck Rogers TV show. In the 25C almost everybody (at least in the civilized high tech cities) lives on 'food disks' of processed plant matter. Buck Rogers is willing (and even eager) to eat natural plants and to eat meat, which creates a simultaneous revulsion and fascination even among his friends.
Bujold had a scene about that in one of the Barrayaran novels, from Cordelia's viewpoint, IIRC. But that was "don't eat natural food," which is a common sf trope (it's in Heinlein's Future History, for example). It wasn't "dare not eat natural food lest you die."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, food