Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #41
zoncxs

Default Re: [OOC] Villains

edited my first post with my character sheet.
I should find room for snatcher or payload and gizmos for them extra "WHERE DID HE GET THAT ROCKET LAUNCHER FROM?!?!" moments.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #42
momothefiddler

Does super-science exist? If so, is it purchased separately from High TL or included?

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #43
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Hmm... re-reading the rules I think the limit for IQ was 20 for normals. And while I think there was something in Dracula about his intelligence, its not really the most iconic power. I wonder if the special exercises perks are valid choices? I could always get talents too. (A lawyer talent for example.)
I guess I can go with special exercises, limited up to three levels. And Power-Ups 3 does have a couple Talents that give bonuses to Law.

Quote:
Also part of the thing with making a lawyer in GURPS is its... a skill. One skill. If combat was decided by a skill roll, it would have similar issues. So if the characters main skill set is law... its gonna be a bit boring. Note how her main skill set it vampirism followed by magic followed by gadgeteering. All the exciting stuff is outside the trial.
The Defense Attorney template in GURPS: Mysteries has Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Psychology, Public Speaking, Research, and Writing among his skills. And an attorney who habitually defends truly heinous monsters should have skills for jury tampering, witness intimidation, and simply making evidence disappear, since arguably there's such a thing as a prosecution case so tight that no legal technicalities will stop it.

Think of Wolfram and Hart from Angel. Their lawyers have a lot more going for them than just really high Law skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Does super-science exist? If so, is it purchased separately from High TL or included?
Yeah, include it in High TL.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #44
Michael Thayne

Quote:
The mechanics. I let vampiric disadvantages fall under the category of "racial template" and hence did not count them towards the disadvantage limit.
Spoiler:  
I'm confused by what you did here with the disadvantages. You're within the disadvantage limit even with the vampire disadvantages, I think. Also, shouldn't you have some kind of secret?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
]
I confess, I'm not totally seeing how this works on a worldbuilding level. "One of the most beloved, powerful, and well-connected heroes... any of bullet proof, extremely fast, heals quickly, and probably at least two of those"? Already planning on at least one of those.
and probably two. The point is the Hero is unusually death resistant in the first place. The Target would have other abilities as well to make him as powerful as he needs to be. The point is to make it hard. I don't know if I should build the character or suggest Ideas or just leave it up to you.

Quote:
On the other hand... I'm envisioning a world where it's not-uncommon for heroes to come back from the dead... would Death want all of them back? That could be interesting. Or your character could just be a crazy supernatural being who sees itself as having a coherent agenda, but doesn't really, and has fixated on one particular hero for no good reason. Not sure I want to do the "soul fighting" thing, but not sure that's a necessary detail, there could be some other plan for preventing the hero's friends from bringing her back.
Soul fighting isn't essential. Binding the soul after death may be enough, and then journeying to the land of the dead (not sure if that should be background or an active ability).

The Death would be fixated on one particular hero. I'd prefer for this to be for a especially offensive comeback: perhaps the hero personally insulted the head death when coming back, or even gave his word to come back after saving the world and is taking advantage of the loophole "I never said when". The Target could also be a repetitive offender to a greater degree than anyone else (feeble man keeps coming back because death has agreed to reject his soul and finds it amusing).

On the other hand, the death would find any hero coming back from the dead offensive, and might have the quirk of knowing all the deaths and returns of the heroes by heart.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #46
Lamech

Hmm... actually no, I was assuming both the mage part and the vampire part got publicly revealed as part of the scuffle with Ravenman. Hmm... I have an idea, after killing him in addition to destroying his soul, and attacking his reputation, she sued his estate for the cost of the spell used to kill him. It probably came up during her testimony. ("Shouldn't you have been knocked out by the sleeping gas?" "Nope I'm a vampire. Check my medical records. I have a prescription for blood three times a day.") Although that partially depends on how vampires are treated. Hmm... maybe she can act as a flagship for vampires not always ripping people's throats out. And doing pro-bono work.

Oh and I thought the disadvantage limit was -50. Hmm... maybe I'll add a few more.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #47
LemmingLord

Are there many vampires??
Old 05-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #48
Lamech

I just made the one vampire. The ally group is supposed to be normal humans.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #49
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
and probably two. The point is the Hero is unusually death resistant in the first place. The Target would have other abilities as well to make him as powerful as he needs to be. The point is to make it hard. I don't know if I should build the character or suggest Ideas or just leave it up to you.
Leave it up to me. :)

Quote:
Soul fighting isn't essential. Binding the soul after death may be enough, and then journeying to the land of the dead (not sure if that should be background or an active ability).

The Death would be fixated on one particular hero. I'd prefer for this to be for a especially offensive comeback: perhaps the hero personally insulted the head death when coming back, or even gave his word to come back after saving the world and is taking advantage of the loophole "I never said when". The Target could also be a repetitive offender to a greater degree than anyone else (feeble man keeps coming back because death has agreed to reject his soul and finds it amusing).

On the other hand, the death would find any hero coming back from the dead offensive, and might have the quirk of knowing all the deaths and returns of the heroes by heart.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Hmm... actually no, I was assuming both the mage part and the vampire part got publicly revealed as part of the scuffle with Ravenman. Hmm... I have an idea, after killing him in addition to destroying his soul, and attacking his reputation, she sued his estate for the cost of the spell used to kill him. It probably came up during her testimony. ("Shouldn't you have been knocked out by the sleeping gas?" "Nope I'm a vampire. Check my medical records. I have a prescription for blood three times a day.") Although that partially depends on how vampires are treated. Hmm... maybe she can act as a flagship for vampires not always ripping people's throats out. And doing pro-bono work.

Oh and I thought the disadvantage limit was -50. Hmm... maybe I'll add a few more.
Vampires definitely aren't treated well in general. Maybe it could be "merely" negative Reputation/Social Stigma if you really want to go the non-secret route.

By the way, what's the hinderance for Unkillable? And the weakness is to sunlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Are there many vampires??
I was planning on there being a fairly large urban fantasy aspect to the setting, so for some value of "many," yes. Not sure how large a value, though.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Leave it up to me. :)
Asking permission on various aspects of death: The base idea of an supernatural and immortal spirit of death is turning out to be quite expensive (600 points for just basic idea). In addition, I want to check if I'm allowed to do the following:

using affects substantial or selective affects substantial at all, and in particular using it on ST. Also, If I do that am I allowed to take always insubstantial at the same time (I suspect not, its not really limiting).

Immune to Soul and Death magic: he doesn't have a soul, and death magic doesn't apply to him. since at lest two of us have planned on that sort of thing.

Should he have a patron in the form of Death and/or the ability to travel to some realm where the dead are kept (or at least some safe box where the heroes can't touch him, but he can't really make progress against them)?

Can different forms of travel be alternate abilities: for example warp, walk on air, and jumper?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
regeneration, unkillable, villains