Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
Plane

Default expanding Fatigue Attack (hazard)

B104 initially defines six enhancements for Fatigue Attack

1) Dehydration
2) Drowning
3) Freezing
4) Missed Sleep
5) Starvation
6) Suffocation
A seventh (Heat) also got added in PU4. Are there any others anyone's aware of?

They all seem to have three components:

1) the benefit of being harder to regenerate the lost FP in certain circumstances
2) the drawback of being easier to regenerate the lost FP in certain circumstances
3) the drawback of certain foes being immune due to traits that don't make you immune to wild Fatigue Attack
Drowning/Suffocation are both 0%. The only difference I can see on B437 is that First Aid is needed to clear water from lungs to recover a Drowned person from Unconsciousness.

The distinction on B436 is the rate (drowning gets SOME air, at most you lose 1 FP per 5 seconds) at which you lose FP, but I don't know how that would matter since Fatigue Attack determines rate of depletion.

I was thinking about other things which affect FP loss in special ways and how those might be defined as Hazards too. FP loss is grouped into "exertion, heat, etc." and "spent to power psi or magic" on B55 (Fit+VeryFit) and B159 (Unfit+VeryUnfit)

So if we had Fatigue Attack (Hazard: as if you spent it on magic/psi) then it wouldn't recover faster from Fit and wouldn't recover slower from Unfit.

Fatigue Attack (Heat) clearly would be affected by those traits. I'm not sure if this would apply to the base six Hazards since the "etc" is somewhat vague. Did we ever get a clarifying statement as to any explicit inclusions / exceptions to this?

Other ways you might have custom FP regeneration could be for example limitations applied to Regeneration. You can limit what basic regeneration (HP) works on by nature of injury (MA47 "crushing" or "unarmed" damage only, for example) so limiting regeneration of FP by nature of what depleted the FP seems like it could also be an option in design. Like regeneration (FP +0%; only fp spent on spells -10%) or something along those lines.

The complications of that are probably why Energy Reserve and Regeneration (ER +0%) got used instead.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drowning, fatigue attack, hazard, regeneration, suffocation