Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: What makes a god?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Which makes me wonder if a bunch of enterprising theoclasts could divide a god up into parts and eat the bits so as to create a pantheon.

It might have a lamentable tendency to over-write the murderers own personalities though.
I think this is the premise of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere. Not that the conspirators get along, nor that we have anything resembling the full story at this point.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #42
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
On the other hand, Eru Iluvatar doesn't seem to consider the Valar "gods", and I'm not sure they think of themselves that way either, even with their given areas of responsibility. And Manwe called Melkor brother, once upon a time...
That may be the point. For monotheists the gods worshipped by other religions are "false" gods even if their objective reality is unquestioned and their considerable supernatural power is verifiable. Dragon Age has a lot of entities worshipped as gods that include the elven and old gods, dragons, and spirits. All of those things definitely exist as real things. They are just rejected by the monotheistic religion as "false gods" while ironically their own "one true god" probably doesn't exist.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #43
SolemnGolem

There's a fun novel, Towing Jehovah by James Morrow, which deals with the Almighty's death and splashdown into the Atlantic, where a miles-high humanoid corpse is floating and must be recovered.

At one point, the trawler crew towing the god carcass up north run out of food so they saw off bits of the divinity to cook and eat for survival.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #44
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
"I couldn't eat a whole one..."

Which makes me wonder if a bunch of enterprising theoclasts could divide a god up into parts and eat the bits so as to create a pantheon.

It might have a lamentable tendency to over-write the murderers own personalities though.
The example I had in mind did far worse than that.

If anyone's interested in what the hell I am on about it's to do with the plot of the game at :
https://www.fallenlondon.com/
...best to keep a spare character in case you find out.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:37 AM   #45
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Why was my first thought the use of tupperware to convert the world to atheism?
FANNY CRADDOCK: Well, darlings I couldn't find an authentic recipe for God Stew but it's a good, strong flavoured meat so throw in whatever vegetables you have available, a couple of bay leaves and some chopped thyme and cook in stock (nymph if you've got it) in a low oven for several hours until done. Season to taste and eat straight away. If you're going to can or freeze it get it sorted into containers and sealed up before it cools or it will be trying to reform.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #46
Inky

The Colonel: Oh, I wondered whether that could be something to do with Fallen London! I've never even tried Seeking Mr Eaten's Name but, you know, something about the turn of phrase.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #47
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
The Colonel: Oh, I wondered whether that could be something to do with Fallen London! I've never even tried Seeking Mr Eaten's Name but, you know, something about the turn of phrase.
And now ... you must go North.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, gods, religion