Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #31
bob2cow

Default Re: Stratiges

Also share victories whenever possible it really help with your relationship next game.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #32
Munchykin

Think the best strat so far was on the first page with the munchkinly way of staying in the background and then exploding to the win. Like most other card games it's most importantly a matter of timing and card parity. You want to use the minimum number of cards to get the maximum effect. Don't waste 3 cards just to stop somebody that's level 3 from killing a level 1 monster that the only bad stuff is that he has to lose his footgear, which he doesn't have any of to begin with. Wait until Curses make a difference before playing them, don't just fire them off once you get them. Save them until they're in the middle of a fight that they're winning before pulling the rug out from under them and making them spend even more cards to win.

Always try to stop the highest level player from running away with the game. Band together with other low level players to try and catch up if one person is pulling away. I usually try to keep the levels as even as possible, while saving the big, scary, game changing cards until things get really close at the end. By then a players attack power is usually so out of control that you can't increase the monster high enough that they can't kill it, so any card that instantly changes the battle is invaluable at this time. Polymorph Potion, Annihilation, Friendship Potion, anything that makes them run away, etc...

Once you get the basics down it's really just about the timing.
Munchykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #33
Teddy

Undercutting other players when someone is seeking a helper is another effective strategy.

Player A: Yo bro, you want to help for three treasures against the Plutonium Dragon?

Player B: Ahh....

Me: Yo G, I'll do it for two.

That way, nothing changes for player A, Player B isn't getting two treasure, you're getting a treasure and player A will be happy that he's getting another treasure and will probably choose you in the future.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
Slave Monkey

Keep "big" usable-once-only's in your hand if you can(i.e +5's or better). Then people won't know if you can mess them up or not.
Slave Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #35
Nerftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave Monkey View Post
Keep "big" usable-once-only's in your hand if you can(i.e +5's or better). Then people won't know if you can mess them up or not.
Or, when you don't have any good curses/enhancers in your hand, keep the maximum number of cards in your hand at all times to make people think you can destroy them.

Remember that you don't have to discard until the end of your turn. So if you have items you can't use in your hand, you can put them into play to avoid discards.

The downside to this are "Discard your entire hand" abilities/curses can take out a lot of cards. So it's really not a good strategy for wizards, since it makes the Charm Monster ability more expensive.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #36
chronojinx

Default Re: Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrasz View Post
My girlfriend generally acts like the girlfriend who is made to come along to play games and doesn't really care about winning. She acts kinda bubbly and helps and messes with everybody a little bit to make it look like she's just trying to have fun. People generally don't go after her and are willing to help cause she's the cute silly girl.

She's ruthless.
old post but this is so true, my wife does laps around everyone, and wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
Or, when you don't have any good curses/enhancers in your hand, keep the maximum number of cards in your hand at all times to make people think you can destroy them.
As I was scrollin' down the page I was just thinkin' this very thing to reply.

I like to keep a neutral alliance with everybody throughout the game, this is sort of difficult being I am the most Munchkiny person in my group of friends. They are constantly against me. I keep Mask of Munchkin in my bag to pull out for the win. I utilize "Reversal of Fortune Scroll" at the end of the game.
chronojinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
bob2cow

Never get to attached to an item!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #38
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2cow View Post
A few tips that help me win.

Monsters that dont require wandering monsters to join the fight play them.

Look for small seemingly insignificant things that can win you the game.
if your playing with santa monsters or goth monsters then this is especially true. It is amazing how quickly they can pile up!
person A plays wandering monster card with santa monster.
person B chooses to add santa monster from their hand.
person C plays +5 enhancer
person A plays mate card on enhanced monster

Person D is stuffed!!!
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #39
Trsevener

I do have one suggestion about stratiges - never get too hung up on one. I think you have to be able to adapt to whatever is happening in the current game. Last time I played I was so stuck on one idea and how I was going to win with this stratigy that I completly missed the opportunity presented on what turned out to be my last turn, and lost the game in because of it.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #40
HK416

I would suggest, not be the first to be high level (7+). Better be the low lvl, so you get the "charity" cards.
In my group, people are very open with "who has a gun/headgear/etc", then some is like "i do, its awesome. has 10+ dmg.. wooo" then BOOM, cursed. :)
So, shutup about your gear, untill you have to "prove" anything.

And the big fear with our group, are aginst thiefs. Myself, im an agressive thief. Perhaps not a good idea, but alot of fun when and if you succeed. :) but i prefer wizard, the joy of charming.
HK416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin, strategy