Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #681
Daxon Khaed

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Can someone please explain how I can output this to a useful document preferrably a pdf or jpg of a sheet

I also need to know how to save a ship to the saved ships area and then have the document be blank again so I can create another ship

Last edited by Daxon Khaed; 04-18-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Daxon Khaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #682
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxon Khaed View Post
Can someone please explain how I can output this to a useful document preferrably a pdf or jpg of a sheet
Get yourself a PDF Virtual Printer such as Bullzip, which will allow you to "print" to a PDF file from any program.

Quote:
I also need to know how to save a ship to the saved ships area and then have the document be blank again so I can create another ship
Which program and version of the program are you using (Excel/OpenOffice) and do you have Macros enabled? Macros are absolutely necessary to save within the sheet and must be enabled to do so. I believe I've discussed enabling Macros in both Excel and OpenOffice previously in the thread. In either case, once Macros are enabled you can use the Save Ship and Load Ship buttons at the top of the Design Table to save and load ships.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #683
Daxon Khaed

Im using openoffice 4.1.1

Macros are enabled, and it will save

I need to know how to revert the form back to a blank state after I save a ship

Also I'm working in the habitats section how do I delete individual rows without screwing up the table
Also need to remove some rows in the weapons systems section, having a hard time figuring out how to do that

Also is there a reason why Force Screen: wings and energy only dont work together?

Last edited by Daxon Khaed; 04-18-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Daxon Khaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #684
ericbsmith

Quote:
I need to know how to revert the form back to a blank state after I save a ship
There is a Reset Ship button in the upper-right corner of the Design Table that will reset to a blank state.

Quote:
Also I'm working in the habitats section how do I delete individual rows without screwing up the table
Also need to remove some rows in the weapons systems section, having a hard time figuring out how to do that
You can select multiple cells and delete the contents; the main thing is that they must all be user input cells. You can either click and drag to select multiple cells or hold the CTRL key and click multiple cells to do this.

Quote:
Also is there a reason why Force Screen: wings and energy only dont work together?
Force Screen: Wings requires that the force screen interact with the physical air in order to act as wings; it doesn't make a whole lot of sense if Energy Only, which cannot affect physical objects, can affect the air enough to press against it and act as a wing.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #685
davester65

Sorry to be a pest, but how is the latest version for Open Office coming along? I'm looking forward to it.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #686
ericbsmith

It's coming along, but taking time. I've done some work on the conversion, but recently stumbled across a particular change I can make that seems to significantly increase the speed of cell writes in OpenOffice by about a factor of 10 in my testing. That is, I can write 10,000 cells in about 2 seconds instead of 20 seconds (why is 10,000 cells important? That's about the maximum number of variables that get filled by a ship, though a typical ship will only have a few hundred to a thousand variables filled, depending mostly on how full the Campaign Filters are used). When implemented I'm hoping that it will speed up the time it takes to Save and Load ships in the sheet, which always irked me with it's slowness.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 04-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #687
davester65

Oh, okay. I thought that was because my computer is kind of slow. I guess that'll be worth the wait. Thanks.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #688
scc

OK, playing around with the OOo V2 RC9 and noticed some things.

It would be nice if there was some faster way to add systems in bulk, the design I'm working on includes 10 Jump Gates and that was something of a bear.

Some way to clear choices for Center slots if change my mind would also be nice

The Vehicle Dock Capacity row is wrong.

On the mention of Jump Gates Option 3 is available for them, listing what appears to be all fuels, even things like wood.

I've got the feeling there's something else, but I can't figure out what but
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #689
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It would be nice if there was some faster way to add systems in bulk, the design I'm working on includes 10 Jump Gates and that was something of a bear.
Make sure Tools -> Cell Contents -> AutoInput is checked. Once AutoInput is enabled you can then add the first system in the column, go to the entry box for the second and start typing the name and the spreadsheet will auto-complete the name; hitting enter twice will normally take you down to the third entry where you can start typing again. If you haven't entered one of that type of Ship System yet but you know the full name of the Ship System you want to add you can just type it into the entry field and the sheet will accept it.
As an important note, go to Tools -> Autocorrect Options -> Options (tab) -> uncheck "Replace Dashes." If you don't change this option OpenOffice will change the " - " I use as a separator in Ship System names into an endash.

Quote:
Some way to clear choices for Center slots if change my mind would also be nice.
In RC9 you can delete entries by sheet section - so you can remove all entries in the Ship Systems or the Habitats section, etc. In the current Excel version I expanded on this allowing you to delete not just by sheet section but also by hull section, so you can remove Front Habitats or Center Ship Systems or Rear Weapons; or even all Center entries (Options/Systems/Habitats/Weapons/etc). This will follow to OpenOffice once I get it ported over.

Quote:
The Vehicle Dock Capacity row is wrong.
What, specifically, is incorrect?

Quote:
On the mention of Jump Gates Option 3 is available for them, listing what appears to be all fuels, even things like wood.
This is true of all FTL drives and Reactionless Engines, and it is to allow you to assign a fuel of your choice to the engines. This is likely to be a campaign level decision. By default it simply includes all available fuel types.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 04-23-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #690
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
Oh, okay. I thought that was because my computer is kind of slow. I guess that'll be worth the wait. Thanks.
Just a further update, but my testing in LibreOffice suggests a speed up from ~57 seconds to ~5 seconds to complete a write operation. I really am hopeful this will speed things up greatly for ship load/save/delete operations once I can fully implement it. The problem is... well... there's still a lot of rewriting to do to fully implement it.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet