Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #81
Emerikol

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

I guess it depends on just how good the stuff cut was. If it was really good I would advocate it appearing somewhere for sale. If it was not that big a deal then I understand fully and it went as it should have went.

I do think the micro-transaction idea is a good one for pdfs. I also like that extra stuff that didn't make it into low-tech appeared later in pdf format. So I don't know if it is working overall but I hope it is as it seems like a good approach to me as a consumer. I like the ability to buy exactly what I want and skip what I don't.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #82
hal

GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT LEFTOVERS - things that were cut...

Or

GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT RELOADED - for those who really want it to be complex.

or

GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT 2 - Boldly going where 1 stopped.

Nah, best that I quit while I'm behind.

;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:57 AM   #83
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I also like that extra stuff that didn't make it into low-tech appeared later in pdf format.
I'm not entirely certain what this is referring to, but if it's the Low Tech Companion volumes, that's not how it happened. The core book and the companions were planned for and written simultaneously. From the very beginning, the idea was that we'd write a broad treatment of preindustrial technologies and divide it into volumes with specific purposes. The main volume is where all the adventuring gear would go, with companions for design systems, background information, and gear with less relevance to adventuring (agricultural equipment, musical instruments, etc.) in separate, specialized volumes. It was in no way "extra," left over, or cut from the main volume. While we were moving some bits of text back and forth until fairly late in the process, it was conceived of more or less as you see it from the ground up.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #84
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I'm not entirely certain what this is referring to, but if it's the Low Tech Companion volumes, that's not how it happened. The core book and the companions were planned for and written simultaneously. From the very beginning, the idea was that we'd write a broad treatment of preindustrial technologies and divide it into volumes with specific purposes. The main volume is where all the adventuring gear would go, with companions for design systems, background information, and gear with less relevance to adventuring (agricultural equipment, musical instruments, etc.) in separate, specialized volumes. It was in no way "extra," left over, or cut from the main volume. While we were moving some bits of text back and forth until fairly late in the process, it was conceived of more or less as you see it from the ground up.
Yeah I probably over spoke on that. Even though it was planned vs spontaneous, I still like the way it works.

If you had all of it in mind though from the start, you still separated what would go where. Maybe the term "cut" makes it appear as an afterthought of editing for space which I agree is not true in this case.

I am eagerly awaiting Biremes and Triremes to be published. I am hoping it covers more than just warfare. I'm mostly interested at the moment in figuring out trade routes in my world. What is being traded and where, etc.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #85
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I guess it depends on just how good the stuff cut was. If it was really good I would advocate it appearing somewhere for sale. If it was not that big a deal then I understand fully and it went as it should have went.
I cut an entire chapter because I needed the space. That'll appear elsewhere at some point even if it's just my blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT LEFTOVERS - things that were cut...

Or

GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT RELOADED - for those who really want it to be complex.

or

GURPS REALM MANAGEMENT 2 - Boldly going where 1 stopped.

Nah, best that I quit while I'm behind.

;)
Heh. I actually conceived Realm Management as *four* books. The main book and three volumes for more in-depth treatment on genres: a fantasy volume, a modern volume, and a sci-fi volume. They would build on RM's concepts and add new ideas, rules, etc. That assumes that RM actually makes money and is well received.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #86
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I cut an entire chapter because I needed the space. That'll appear elsewhere at some point even if it's just my blog.
Good to know

Quote:
Heh. I actually conceived Realm Management as *four* books. The main book and three volumes for more in-depth treatment on genres: a fantasy volume, a modern volume, and a sci-fi volume. They would build on RM's concepts and add new ideas, rules, etc. That assumes that RM actually makes money and is well received.
That is cool and interesting. I hope Realms does well. I've bought my copy. I would buy fantasy and sci-fi for sure.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #87
Christopher R. Rice

It's sold well enough and gotten plenty of reviews/stars I just hope that when/if it gets uploaded to DTRPG that it breaks beyond GURPS to other gamers since it's pretty generic. It's a description of a thing and pretty self-contained.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #88
Emerikol

Quote:
It's sold well enough and gotten plenty of reviews/stars I just hope that when/if it gets uploaded to DTRPG that it breaks beyond GURPS to other gamers since it's pretty generic. It's a description of a thing and pretty self-contained.
So many GURPS sourcebooks fall into that category. The chapter in GURPS space (3e as I haven't got 4e yet but probably will when I play a sci-fi campaign) about generating star systems is pretty awesome and really useful for any sci-fi campaign that covers a lot of star systems.

I'd say City and Boardrooms and Curia both fall into that cross game usefulness too. From a purely profit outlook GURPS has always had some people who buy stuff and never use the actual game system. I fell in that camp a long time ago. More from the inability to get away from the fantasy campaign than a lack of desire to try it out.

I really appreciate also how knowledgeable writers are for GURPS. They often are very highly credentials. I could see buying a sourcebook just to learn about something. GURPS Japan or GURPS Egypt for example.

I'm not sure how they market in this space though. A lot of people assume it's very game specific and don't even consider buying a worldbook when in reality it would likely be useful whatever system they are using.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:26 AM   #89
Been

Had a good example of gurps books in other systems last night.

Playing WHFRP and we had agreed to clear a dwarf mone for a boats hold worth of coal.

Gm was looking slightly harried as he didn't know how much that was worth.

Luckily I have a copy of lowtech on my google drive, quickly found the value of coal and back of the envelope calculation of hold volume and we were 50gp better off.
Been is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:47 AM   #90
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Been View Post
Had a good example of gurps books in other systems last night.

Playing WHFRP and we had agreed to clear a dwarf mone for a boats hold worth of coal.

Gm was looking slightly harried as he didn't know how much that was worth.

Luckily I have a copy of lowtech on my google drive, quickly found the value of coal and back of the envelope calculation of hold volume and we were 50gp better off.
This is akin to the tongue in cheek comment regarding the version of GURPS in the Five Earths Setting: "GURPS, the most popular RPG you will likely use only as a supplement/expansion to what you already use."
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realm management