Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #661
davester65

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
You already can do that, if you're using my optional rules. But instead of joining together to be a single "larger SM" system they just provide partial systems - SM+4 Habitats provide 0.3 slots, SM+3 provide 0.1 slots (and I have some cramped bunkrooms & crew cabins that can fit in 0.5 habitat slots). Most systems simply join together and add together their capacity; it's only system that scale with SM (such as Sensors and their Scan rating) that need special handling. Some systems even have split stats - Hangar Bays add capacity when you combine 3+ together, but their bay doors only go up +1 SM with three combined.

Honestly, most systems that need or could use a larger SM version are already available in the sheet, or automatically combine into the larger SM version when you put 3+ together. Even Force Screens, where you can vary the way dDR stacks together - do they simply add dDR together or do they combine to provide a larger SM version (which provides less dDR, but for some universes Force Screens may not be "stackable" like Armor is).
I know about all of that, although control rooms are an exception to that. They don't seem to combine like sensors do. Also the reason I was asking is because with an SM+4 ship you get 1 passenger seat to a space, but with an SM+3 ship you also get one passenger seat per space. I just figured it should have to be three spaces for one seat at SM+3.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #662
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
I know about all of that, although control rooms are an exception to that. They don't seem to combine like sensors do. Also the reason I was asking is because with an SM+4 ship you get 1 passenger seat to a space, but with an SM+3 ship you also get one passenger seat per space. I just figured it should have to be three spaces for one seat at SM+3.
I believe my reasoning there is that at SM+3 Passenger Seating no longer includes access space - hallways, bathrooms, etc. They're more like the seats in a van or car than those in a bus or plane.

Otherwise you could only get about 5 seats in a SM+3 vehicle (leaving only 5 slots for armor, fuel fank, engine, wheels, and cargo). That pretty much makes it impossible to build something similar to your average town car (which just happens to clock in around SM+3 and 3 Tons with passengers and cargo).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-22-2015 at 08:54 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #663
davester65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I believe my reasoning there is that at SM+3 Passenger Seating no longer includes access space - hallways, bathrooms, etc. They're more like the seats in a van or car than those in a bus or plane.

Otherwise you could only get about 5 seats in a SM+3 vehicle (leaving only 5 slots for armor, fuel fank, engine, wheels, and cargo). That pretty much makes it impossible to build something similar to your average town car (which just happens to clock in around SM+3 and 3 Tons with passengers and cargo).
Okay, I hadn't thought of it that way. Although the thing I mentioned with control rooms would be a nice touch for whenever you do the next update.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #664
TJA

Wenn i change my system settings to EN (english) and also set Excel 2010 to english, i still get lots of ERRORs under "Shop Systems" ...

Any idea?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #665
ericbsmith

Are you using American English with a . for a decimal place and , for thousand separator?
Kaboom-baya.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #666
TJA

I set my Windows 7 to "EN" and Excel to English (USA) and i now have a "y" right from my "t". Seems to be English.

But, wenn i enter 10.0 it is left-oriented and adding 1 gives an error.
It does not seem to accept the "." as decimal-point.

Last edited by TJA; 03-03-2015 at 04:20 PM.
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #667
TJA

Ahhh.
I found a setting in the Excel options ... what signs should be used for decimal point and optical barrier for thousands ...

I changed this and tested again:

Still those ERRORS - adding a screenshot.

Edit: Cannot find a way to add a screenshot here.

:-O
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #668
ericbsmith

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 10
Please Note: This RC is for Excel only. There have been a lot of changes made to the macros which will take some time to implement in OpenOffice. In the meantime I see no reason to delay the release of the Excel version update.

-Removed the capability to import ships from the v2 Beta and v1.x versions of the sheet. You should still be able to import ships from all v2.0 Release Candidates.
-Improved handling of 'Shorter Numbers' throughout, including their use in the Output sheet. This should improve usability of larger SM ships.
-Improved Output sheet formatting, especially the HTML tags which have been bugged for a while.
-Added a few more options from RPK's Traveller Spaceships rules (including the Features section at the top and Sandcasters for Missile Launchers)
-Under System Options renamed the 'Modular' column to 'Options 1'
-Added 'Underground' option to Options 1. This can be applied to any system in a ship with the 'Building' feature.
--Corrected oversight where Underground didn't increase ship cost.
-The 'Save Ship' button will now save the entire Workbook file once the ship has been saved into the Save Sheet
-Added Aux Craft worksheet that allows you to add some basic statistics for vehicles to a Save Sheet, which you can then later assign to Hangar Bays, Upper Stages, or Vehicle Docks
--Added the Life Pod, Drop Capsule, and Stealth Capsule from the Spaceships Designers Notes via the Aux Craft worksheet
-Recreated the Auxiliary Craft (Utility Truck, Air Car, & Grav-Sled) using the rules from Spaceships. All craft are SM+3.5, Lwt. 6 Tons (unload weight under 5 tons); added a Utility Helicopter to the vehicles as well. The end result of the redesigns is that cargo capacity went down slightly but cost went down significantly.
-Tweaked the way that the Building Orientation option works, and properly added a cost for Underground systems (previously there was no cost associated with underground systems). Now you must individually assign systems as being underground; Once you've selected the 'Building' option in the Switches & Features section the 'Underground' option will become available in the System Options section, under Options 1.
-Added Cargo Manifest section to the Design Table that allows you to designate the contents of the various Cargo Holds
-Added Semi-Ablative footnote for Ice & Stone Armors, Force Screens, and Armor with the following option
-Added Semi-Ablative option for Laminate Armors (including Nanocomposite, Diamondoid, and Organic). See Alternate Rules page of Spreadsheet for full details
-'Added Jet Engine - Electric Turbofan' to systems. This is based loosely on the stats from GURPS Vehicles Expansion 1.
-'Added Jet Engine - Super Fusion Air-Ram' to systems. This has performance characteristics more favorable compared to the Fission Air-Ram.
-Reorganized Habitat cabins (in the drop-down menu) to be a little more clearly laid out
--Habitat cabin menus now have headers similar to Ship Systems
--All Garages, Establishments, Laboratories, and Craft Shops have been given a section Header. Most have been renamed to simplify their name.
--Habitat modules that are too large to fit in the ship will now be removed from the drop-down selection menu (e.g. if the ship has 8 cabins available then Large Labs, Large Craft Shops, Sickbay Clinics, and other similar systems that take up 10 cabins will no longer show up in the drop-down menu).
-Fixed odd bug when calculating Effective SM
-Fixed bug where Super Missiles was not available as an option for Missile Launchers
-Added/Fixed +3 Acc to Cosmic Powered Electromagnetic Guns, Warp Missile Launchers, Grav Guns, or Super Missiles (p. SS1:68)
-Corrected sAcc of Warp Missile Launchers to be +17/+18 (was incorrectly TL-8/TL-7)
-Added missing Warp Missile range from Warp Missile Table (p. SS3:36)
-Tweaked damage table for most beam weapons. This mostly only affected the +0.5SM beam weapons, and only changed some of the damage values slightly, however a significant error was fixed in the Square Root of Destruction Dam2 entry for 600MJ and every x100 power increase thereafter (60 GJ, 6TJ, 600TJ, etc).

Excel 2000
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (3.7MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (1.8MB)

Excel 2007
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (4.8MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (4.7MB)

OpenOffice 3.2.0/3.3.0/LiberOffice 4
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (3.4MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (3.0MB)
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #669
ToeFinger

I have been planning to run a mecha campaign for some time, and like the look of the spreadsheet but can't get the thing to work. I would like to start using this spreadsheet soon but can't get past selecting SM.

I have used OpenOffice v3.3.0 both with and without macros enabled, but the AN254 box for selecting SM only show Err:502 in the drop down menu. Is there some way to solve this problem?

Also, this is my first post on this forum.
ToeFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #670
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeFinger View Post
Is there some way to solve this problem?
Without knowing anything else, I would guess that the most likely cause is that you are using a Windows region setting in which the period (.) is not used as a decimal separator, the comma (,) is. The only way that I know to fix this particular problem is to set the Windows Regional Settings to use the period as the decimal separator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeFinger View Post
Also, this is my first post on this forum.
Welcome to the forums.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet