Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #651
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Eric, I know you are super busy, but if you could make a output method that mimics the housestyle for GURPS you'd be my personal hero. I use your sheet to double-check my work - but I still have to hand fill everything in. It'd save a ton of time for me if you could create a way to output it the standard way.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #652
adimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It's still alive...
That's good to hear :)

Eric I think there is some bug in the types of weapons that can be used per TL.
TL-10 can't select a UV Laser. (as a workaround I switch the ship to TL-11 choose the UV-Laser and than back the TL to 10).

Also I have a suggestion for a new feature and that's an double over-sized system. Basically a system of a ship two size categories larger.
For example a star probe where 9 parts out of 20 are it's sensors package.
Or the Deathstar where the main planet killer weapons is not just a spinal cannon. Such a system needs to have 3 components in each of the hull sections.

Adi
adimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #653
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
If you're still looking for things to add to an update for the spreadsheet I have an idea. In the rules it has the option to make antimatter based reaction mass cheaper ($6000 a ton I believe) under some circumstances. How about adding that to the fuel tank options? I think the rule was intended for societies that had access to cosmic power &/or total conversion technology. I'd like to have the option available for a less advanced society that uses antimatter technology as their primary power source and have gotten good at producing it. As it stands if you built an spaceship with say an antimatter thermal rocket a full load of fuel ends up costing many times more than the ship itself. $12,000,000 a ton for antimatter catalyzed hydrogen is pretty steep, I really can't even see a military spending that much. Maybe you could list it as "(Cheap) Antimatter Catalyzed Hydrogen" and have it be compatible with the appropriate reaction drives.
I'll look into this, but note that in the Campaign Options tab you can set a cost multiplier for any of the listed fuel types (as well as adding fuel types of your own). The option for Fuels is off to the right and down a bit, but it is there. This will let you set the cost to whatever you'd like. Also note that it is possible load just the Campaign Options section when loading a ship, so you can easily import your Campaign options from ship to ship.

NOTE: I just noticed that the cost listed in the Campaign Options tab after multiplication is incorrect (it's multiplying the cost by the cost multiplier twice). However, this is just the display in that tab; the cost in the Design Table tab will be correctly multiplied only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Eric, I know you are super busy, but if you could make a output method that mimics the housestyle for GURPS you'd be my personal hero. I use your sheet to double-check my work - but I still have to hand fill everything in. It'd save a ton of time for me if you could create a way to output it the standard way.
I'd love to be able to do that, but I don't think it's really possible for a large number of reasons. The house style places the listing for Weapons and Habitat cabins within the main system, and getting that alone working seems rather difficult. Also, my naming conventions differ from the housestyle, largely to make some systems easier to find in the lists. The amount of work required just seems huge for a relatively minor benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimar View Post
Eric I think there is some bug in the types of weapons that can be used per TL.
TL-10 can't select a UV Laser. (as a workaround I switch the ship to TL-11 choose the UV-Laser and than back the TL to 10).
I'm not seeing that. What version of the sheet are you using (both version number of the sheet and Excel or OpenOffice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimar View Post
Also I have a suggestion for a new feature and that's an double over-sized system. Basically a system of a ship two size categories larger.
For example a star probe where 9 parts out of 20 are it's sensors package.
Or the Deathstar where the main planet killer weapons is not just a spinal cannon. Such a system needs to have 3 components in each of the hull sections.
I'll have to think on that. It should be possible and not too tough.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #654
adimar

Quote:
I'm not seeing that. What version of the sheet are you using (both version number of the sheet and Excel or OpenOffice).
Sheet version: Version 2.0 RC 9, Excel 2010
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34nrqhzsiv...06.43.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2nordbfei...03.22.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pl2eyrgu4...05.06.png?dl=0

Adi
adimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #655
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'd love to be able to do that, but I don't think it's really possible for a large number of reasons. The house style places the listing for Weapons and Habitat cabins within the main system, and getting that alone working seems rather difficult. Also, my naming conventions differ from the housestyle, largely to make some systems easier to find in the lists. The amount of work required just seems huge for a relatively minor benefit.
Okay. Thanks for all the hard work anyways. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 AM   #656
Taneli

Hi,

Any idea if it would be a feasible idea to convert this to Google Spreadsheets?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #657
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Any idea if it would be a feasible idea to convert this to Google Spreadsheets?
I have no idea, but I also have no wish to try. The sheet relies heavily on the use of Macros for various features, and trying to get that kind of thing working on yet another spreadsheet sounds awful tiring. The simple fact is that it works fine in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, which is free, cross platform, and even available in Portable versions (meaning you can install it to and run it from a USB stick). There's little reason in my mind to pursue another option, and if I were going to pursue another option it would likely be ditching spreadsheets altogether and creating a standalone program. It is a spreadsheet mainly because it started out a simple project and ballooned from there.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #658
ericbsmith

GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet: The Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBXDDud9g4

I've been messing around with this for a couple days, and finally put together an Introduction. I will likely follow this up with videos addressing each of the sheets, showing some of the advanced options and uses of the spreadsheet.

Are there any particular points you'd like to see me address? Any questions you'd like answered? Suggestions, comments, etc?
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #659
davester65

Eric, here's an idea. You know how you have oversized weapons mounts that take up three spaces and how if you combine three sensor suites you get the next size suite? How about allowing that for other things. Like say control rooms or even passenger seating in SM+3 spaceships. This might be more realistic for SM+3 ships. Doing it for habitats would make squeezing a cabin into say an SM+5 ship a little easier as well. Just a thought.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #660
ericbsmith

You already can do that, if you're using my optional rules. But instead of joining together to be a single "larger SM" system they just provide partial systems - SM+4 Habitats provide 0.3 slots, SM+3 provide 0.1 slots (and I have some cramped bunkrooms & crew cabins that can fit in 0.5 habitat slots). Most systems simply join together and add together their capacity; it's only system that scale with SM (such as Sensors and their Scan rating) that need special handling. Some systems even have split stats - Hangar Bays add capacity when you combine 3+ together, but their bay doors only go up +1 SM with three combined.

Honestly, most systems that need or could use a larger SM version are already available in the sheet, or automatically combine into the larger SM version when you put 3+ together. Even Force Screens, where you can vary the way dDR stacks together - do they simply add dDR together or do they combine to provide a larger SM version (which provides less dDR, but for some universes Force Screens may not be "stackable" like Armor is).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-22-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet