Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
dcarson

Default Re: Minimum device Complexity for reading JPGs? BMPs? MP3? Text?

Real time adds complexity. Taking minutes or even longer to unpack a jpg can be fine but audio or video takes a lot more speed. From my interesting quote file.

A friend of mine and I just calculated that if he stored his half-hour TV program (he does infomercials) on 400-byte/meter paper tape with at a width of 8 bits, his commercial (saved as an AVI) would take 16.1 million meters of paper tape. To be played back in real time, it would need to travel in excess of over twenty thousand miles per hour.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Real time adds complexity. Taking minutes or even longer to unpack a jpg can be fine but audio or video takes a lot more speed. From my interesting quote file.
Yes. Wanting stuff done in realtime is often what costs Complexity. Barring the need to juggle around large amounts of data (in a sufficiently fast CPU cache-like storage), even a puni computer can do anything - given enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
A friend of mine and I just calculated that if he stored his half-hour TV program (he does infomercials) on 400-byte/meter paper tape with at a width of 8 bits, his commercial (saved as an AVI) would take 16.1 million meters of paper tape. To be played back in real time, it would need to travel in excess of over twenty thousand miles per hour.
How fast is that relative to lightspeed?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Another one came up yesterday: complexity for 'reading' voice. As in, identifying the language spoken and/or converting it to plain text. Former is less important than latter, but knowing both would be nice.
As Anthony says, this began about 1997 though it is still not 100% reliable today. I don't know of any apps that identify multiple languages from audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Edit: voice synthesis from text is another interesting one. And translation. UT plants translation at C3-C5 depending on fluency level achieved, but I keep hearing urban legends about pocket audio translator devices existing in the early 90s/late 80s, though I'm very sceptical of their fluency level.
Ray Kurzweil invented general text-to-speech in 1976 with a table full of specialized devices, but that would still fall under C-1.

Real-time voice translation depends on the above, not-yet-100% speech-to-text technology, but I've seen a recent demo where a guy gave a speech in English with a ~1/12 word error rate conversion to text, and a ~1/8 character error rate translation to Chinese, plus a voice recognizably his read the Chinese text despite him not speaking Chinese himself. So, C5 might represent that performance on something like a mini today.

I recall voice translators sold by Sharper Image or DAK-style ads back in the day, but the ads said you typed the English word and got a foreign word in text plus a synthesized "bon.jour." or whatever. Someone may have floated an early version that let you record your own voice for input comparison or output or both, but vocab would have been tiny, <1000 words, possibly <250 as I dimly recall.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How fast is that relative to lightspeed?
Really slow. About 0.003% of the speed of light.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Really slow. About 0.003% of the speed of light.
Thanks for calculating that.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complexity, computers, program, software