Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #131
terranstrider

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

[PHP]This thread is primarily about my Spaceships spreadsheet. If you want to discuss designing deck plan please feel free to start a new thread to do so. [/PHP]
Will do.

Thanks very much for making your spreadsheet available. It's an enourmous benefit to my campaign, in particular the output format greatly reduces preperation time for space combat.
terranstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #132
DaltonS

I just downloaded the Open Office version and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just a couple of items from Spaceship 7 to tack onto the wishlist.
  1. An option to use Smaller and Larger systems as per page 4. The former could be more easily done by stacking the hull sections vertically rather than side-by-side. (That would also make it visually less cluttered.)
  2. A "Hyperdynamic Hull" feature could be added to both ship and campaign options.

I want to design ships for my hyperspace rule set that will fit into my Hyperverse tech sequence (radiation screen => hyperdynamic field grid => reactionless drive => "hypersink" cloaking => jump gates to hyperspace => hyperjump stardrive).

Dalton "who finds the sheet ans interesting as the ships" Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #133
Flyndaran
Untagged

I keep getting errors from nearly everything I try to do.
I'm using the open office one.
It keeps saying scripting framework error occurred while running the Basic script.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #134
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I keep getting errors from nearly everything I try to do.
I'm using the open office one.
It keeps saying scripting framework error occurred while running the Basic script.
Stupid macros. I thought I had this set to be fixed in a macro before I saved to Open Office, but apparently I didn't save the sheet with the stripping macro intact.

Anyway, I've just corrected the open office sheet and this should no longer be a problem.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #135
thesmiths4

Sorry if I missed this in the stack of posts, but have you ever considered modding the sheet for the Gurps Vorkosigan ship design rules? (Necklin Rods, different weapons and shield systems, etc.)
thesmiths4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 AM   #136
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmiths4 View Post
Sorry if I missed this in the stack of posts, but have you ever considered modding the sheet for the Gurps Vorkosigan ship design rules? (Necklin Rods, different weapons and shield systems, etc.)
I don't think anybody's asked, and I just haven't had time to do anything like this anyway. I haven't even read Vorkosigan.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #137
SalsaDoom

Eric! :D

Thank you again for this awesome spreadsheet, it makes my life so much easier when it comes to making ships (I make a lot). Especially thank you a million times over for expanding the sizemod up to +30 :) I make use of that ability frequently ;)

Additional thank you for adding the SS7 rules! :D

Now if I could have options for half-modules or even quarter modules.. ;)
Or actually a really sweet option would be for the ability to "trade up" or "trade down" weapons... in my campaign ships tend to run rather large, for example, a Battleship-sized ship is SizeMod +24, which works great until I realize that I'm dealing with literally 10,000,000,000 peripheral guns :) Somewhere between 50,000 and 160,000 would be fine, lol. Right now I make the ship in Excel 2k, then export and tweak it through a few programs manually. Its still massively more simple :) Thanks again Eric!

EDIT: Speaking of exporting, is there an easier way to do this? I'm looking for some fairly simple HTML output ideally... actually the exact stuff thats printed. If only windows could print to html or something.

Last edited by SalsaDoom; 11-27-2010 at 11:15 AM.
SalsaDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #138
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaDoom View Post
EDIT: Speaking of exporting, is there an easier way to do this? I'm looking for some fairly simple HTML output ideally... actually the exact stuff thats printed. If only windows could print to html or something.
Excel 2010 can export to HTML, but a generic HTML printer is probably impossible since printers tend to deal with the file as usually PostScript, XPS, PDF or a simple image while HTML needs to know the complexities of the underlying formatting. (Mostly so it can make a mess out of it, the best HTML code is hand HTML code.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #139
SalsaDoom

Hmmm, thats largely true. Even linux can only print to pdf or ps. pdftohtml from the poppler-utils package mangles the output in ways that make me sad.

Right now I use a windows tool called PDFCreator from sourceforge, which works quite well. Then I copy it to my linux machine, where I use a awful little program called 'pdfedit', it does the job but is somewhat ancient, crufty, and rather slow. Its quite a bit of work just to tweak some numbers around. If I could export the data I wanted (ie the printed area) to another spreadsheet or anything that could be edited it would be a lot easier.

EDIT: Actually you can, I think I instinctively over-engineered my solution. You do have to re-adjust the formatting but you can select and copy the data into another excel2k spreadsheet and edit it.

Last edited by SalsaDoom; 11-27-2010 at 12:14 PM.
SalsaDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #140
panton41

My biggest complaint about this spread sheet is that it doesn't have the most useful format for presentation. The worksheet page is excellent and works well for on-screen presentation, but for a printout it doesn't fare as well. (Tons of "extra stuff" on the sides that doesn't fit well.)

If I were to overhaul it I'd probably remove the second spaceship form at the bottom and put the extra settings there and have an additional book that was a printer-friendly version that repeated the data from the worksheet.

That said I've batted the idea of an actual program to do this for a while, but it's kind of fizzled. I'd like to do it in a cross-platform language, but Java doesn't support some of what I want to use and I don't know Python that would probably be my #1 choice. (Plus Python isn't the most cross-platform of languages when it comes to building a GUI.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet