Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2021, 03:42 AM   #1
MrFix

Default Multiple Projectiles: Extremely Close Range

B409

When firing a shotgun at 10% of 1/2D or less, you don't resolve the attack with the ROF modifier for multiple projectiles, but just multiply damage and enemy DR by 4.

Question, do you also discard the ROF to-hit bonus that comes naturally with shotgun's 9 projectiles? Or do you still retain it?

I found it weird that if the bad guy is 5 yards away, I get +2 to hit him from ROF, but if he comes up to 4 yards for 40 1/2D weapon, I get only +0, but that's how some at my table have read it.
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:06 AM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Multiple Projectiles: Extremely Close Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
B409

When firing a shotgun at 10% of 1/2D or less, you don't resolve the attack with the ROF modifier for multiple projectiles, but just multiply damage and enemy DR by 4.

Question, do you also discard the ROF to-hit bonus that comes naturally with shotgun's 9 projectiles? Or do you still retain it?

I found it weird that if the bad guy is 5 yards away, I get +2 to hit him from ROF, but if he comes up to 4 yards for 40 1/2D weapon, I get only +0, but that's how some at my table have read it.
You don't apply the RoF multiplier to RoF, and therefore a single shot of nine pellets would indeed do x4 damage with no bonus to hit. Yes, that does meant that there's an odd break-point between 4-yards (net -2 to hit) and 5-yards (net +0 to hit). However, to hit with four pellets at 5-yards does require a 3-point margin of success, and allowing for the +2 from RoF that's still harder than getting a hit at 4-yards with the 'single' blast.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #3
MrFix

Cheers. If anyone else knows a book-source elaborating on this issue, or seen a Krommpost etc, please post it. Until then I suppose I'll use Rupert's solution.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
B409

I'm not sure why it's unintuitive. The bonus to hit comes because the multiple projectiles have dispersed over an area, and there is an increased chance that the target is within that area and will get hit by one or more projectiles. But if you're at close range, the projectiles haven't dispersed (much) and the area is relatively small.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
MrFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not sure why it's unintuitive. The bonus to hit comes because the multiple projectiles have dispersed over an area, and there is an increased chance that the target is within that area and will get hit by one or more projectiles. But if you're at close range, the projectiles haven't dispersed (much) and the area is relatively small.
Mainly because ROF otherwise applies at any range. Firing 5 shots from M4A1 increases chance to hit because of volume of fire, giving +1 to hit. This +1 to hit is given even at 1 yard away, where reasonably these 5 shots would not spread/disperse at all, be it due to recoil or failures of marksmanship, unless you're literally swinging it mad like wild swing.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
RyanW

Quote:
Mainly because ROF otherwise applies at any range. Firing 5 shots from M4A1 increases chance to hit because of volume of fire, giving +1 to hit. This +1 to hit is given even at 1 yard away, where reasonably these 5 shots would not spread/disperse at all, be it due to recoil or failures of marksmanship, unless you're literally swinging it mad like wild swing.
The pellets of a shotgun shell are within a sphere a few inches in diameter at 5 yards. With an M4, the first shot is 80 yards downrange before the second shot leaves the weapon. The "boomstick" range of a shotgun is where the pellets are so clustered together that they function like a big spongy slug than individual pellets.