Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Onkl

Default Telegraphic Attack on an unaware target?

Hi guys

Reading and rereading the rules for a telegraphic attack, one question did get stuck in my head, although I didn't see it written explicitly:

Can you only use a telegraphic attack on an opponent who is aware that you are attacking him?

Since telegraphic attack is the opposite of deceptive, and since no one would use a deceptive attack on an unaware opponent (since he doesn't get to defend himself anyways), how is it balanced to be able to use telegraphic in this instance?

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Juca

Default Re: Telegraphic Attack on an unaware target?

Well, I think that it is quite the contrary: it is best to use a telegraphic attack on an unaware target. It is not that you are elluding your target, you are taking more time to "aim" your attack, leading it with more cautiong and, in general, trading the quickness to attack for more precision, as the attack is more obvious to your opponent, it is easier to defend it, if he knows that you are attacking him, which is not the case...
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
aesir23

Yes, you should allow Telegraphic Attacks on unaware opponents.

Not only is this realistic (since there's no reason why you couldn't line up a precise but accurate attack just because your opponents not looking) but it also makes the sneak attack a more effective tactic and opens up new viable character types as a result.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Yes, you should allow Telegraphic Attacks on unaware opponents.

Not only is this realistic (since there's no reason why you couldn't line up a precise but accurate attack just because your opponents not looking) but it also makes the sneak attack a more effective tactic and opens up new viable character types as a result.
First rule of surprize...don't be.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi guys

Reading and rereading the rules for a telegraphic attack, one question did get stuck in my head, although I didn't see it written explicitly:

Can you only use a telegraphic attack on an opponent who is aware that you are attacking him?

Since telegraphic attack is the opposite of deceptive, and since no one would use a deceptive attack on an unaware opponent (since he doesn't get to defend himself anyways), how is it balanced to be able to use telegraphic in this instance?

Cheers

Onkl
Depending on your stance on these sorts of things, Dungeon Fantasy makes this canonical:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF2:12
He gets +4 to hit because he can afford to be completely telegraphic against an opponent who canít see him; this helps offset the -3 for vitals (x3 injury), -7 for skull (+2 DR but x4 injury), -8 for chinks in torso armor (halve DR), or -10 for chinks over the vitals or skull (half DR and extra injury). The victim gets no defense.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:

Cheers

Onkl
The balance goals, such as they are, for GURPS combat don't rule out (indeed, likely demand) making it fantastically painful to get caught unaware in combat. And Telegraphic Attack being the obvious right thing to do against unaware targets (unless there's someone else to defend them) doesn't in any way invalidate other combat options which are useful in other circumstances.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Onkl

Okok, you got me beat. In my book it just made sense, to only get the attack bonus when the defense bonus can be used as well..

Thanks for your insights.

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
since no one would use a deceptive attack on an unaware opponent
Actually I can think of an instance where you might use Deceptive Attack against an unaware opponent: when trying to hide the attack from onlookers, whether to prevent someone else from defending or alerting him, or to deliver an attack that isn't recognized as such (like a spy injecting a poison).

As a GM, I would apply the same Deceptive/Telegraphic modifier to Perception rolls to see the attack.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Grouchy Chris

You also might use Deceptive Attack on an unaware target in order to overcome another opponent's Sacrificial Parry.

Tags
attack, deceptive, telegraphic