Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

[QUOTE=Anthony;2485888
I will say, however, that being zeroed to 1 yard instead of 2 yards would be a big improvement.[/QUOTE]

If you did that only Halfings would count as SM+0 creatures and only if they weren't close enough to spherical.

It might work better if creature SM was based off weight rather than a linear measurement anyway. Longest dimension is not necessarily the easiest stat to research. Bio-Tech comes close to being weight-based now.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #22
Anthony

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you did that only Halfings would count as SM+0 creatures and only if they weren't close enough to spherical.
Eh, just base SM for irregular shapes based on both long and short -- so humans are +2 for height and -2 for width, net 0.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:27 PM   #23
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It might work better if creature SM was based off weight rather than a linear measurement anyway. Longest dimension is not necessarily the easiest stat to research. Bio-Tech comes close to being weight-based now.
Volume would be a better option - a Marvel Comics Asgardian shouldn't be any easier to see or attack than a human of comparable size, despite canonically weighing 3x as much (which would be +1 SM).
Old 05-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Powers of ten would be good. Big Eyes Small Mouth uses that for ranges.

If we're going to have finer subdivisions, I have to say I kind of like the decibel scale (1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6.4, 8, 10), but that's subject to the same criticisms as the current speed/range scale, I suppose.

But I think that making sure steps of x10 fit into the scale would be convenient for avoiding complicated calculations.
If doing that I would like the range table to be more unified and with a built in setting switch.
For example we have the SSR featuring prominently but the Long Range Table tucked away under the magic system.
I would prefer a range section that listed what we now call Regular Spells/Malediction 1; SSR; Long Range; and Line of Sight or the telepathic; plus the distance penalties for Warp.
Consolidate all that into a Range section and state the general function/purpose of each. Then offer a suggestion that they can be bumped up or down for different play styles (longer range in a cinematic campaign or perhaps Ultra Tech, for example). Then rewrite the Range modifiers to synch up.
Possibly add a cost like a UB to use better or worse range mods to replace using ACC for Weapon Master or Gun Slinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
In my experience as someone who periodically tries to drag friends into playing GURPS, mechanical complexity once you start playing has never been the issue for me (except maybe when it comes the more free-form magic systems). It's always been players experiencing decision-paralysis during character creation. For some players, occupational templates help a lot—but for others, even that's too many decisions up front. To fix that problem, something like Gaming Ballistic's Delvers to Grow needs to be a core SJGames offering.
I agree that the front loading of character creation is the hard part of a GURPS game for many people.
Once you are used to it all you really need is a list of appropriate "everyman skills" or skills and advantages appropriate to a particular role. That helps avoid forgetting something important to the character concept.
I would redo Delvers to Grow with that in mind and offer it in the core book(s) and recommend it for supplements that expand on a character (Like the Denizens books).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
That's exactly why the CIA came up with the Glomar Response "can neither confirm nor deny."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
It's interesting to see who from this forum are not talking about this, as SJG is pretty much contracting all the books out to writers who frequent this forum...
To both these. The "No Comment" line exists for a reason as said above.
Once you break that you effectively undercut its value.
As for writers I think I have seen 3 of them already in this thread, and its only a day or two old. Kromm is staff so would not be expected to reply even if he wasn't away from his computer doing his move.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #25
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Volume would be a better option - a Marvel Comics Asgardian shouldn't be any easier to see or attack than a human of comparable size, despite canonically weighing 3x as much (which would be +1 SM).
Volume is rarely a number that you can directly look up for real-world creatures and objects, whereas length, width, height, and weight are pretty commonly available. For most uses of GURPS SM, what you really want is cross-sectional area.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:59 PM   #26
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Volume would be a better option
The sandworms object. And you don't want to get them angry.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:01 PM   #27
Willy

Letīs wait and see!

There are so many reasons why we need to get a new Edition or at least a revised Edition of it like SJG did with the fourth Ed. , that listing them would be a very long post.

There are also a lot of hints that SJG is working on something big for quite some time. Not only Dr. Kromm posts but also from marketing among else. You donīt sell your stuff at a big discount at BoH or with 50% off at sales if you donīt plan somewhere in the future something new.

Sadly I have to admit, GURPS 4 Ed made a lot things right Imho, but also a lot things wrong, a point we have often discussed here. Like keeping the old messure system or more important making it more streamlined. Which is one reason why I prefer 3rd over the 4th Ed. Especially the Mass Combat System and the whole GURPS Space products

I personally will wait and not buy a new Gurps line until I have taken a serious look how it works.

Even if we get a new line remember itīs just the beginning of the work, you need a lot of products besides the Basis Set to be a true Generic User Roleplay System. 4 Ed is still lacking a Vehicles book and has only fan work bestiarys and that of Gaming Ballistics, which is great work.

I really donīt think that SJG will put that effort and staff you need to have for such a project now, itīs binding a lot of money for a long time and the pay off will take some time.

Another problem is, in my thinking, that another troubled start like at the beginning of 4th Ed, could be the last nail to GURPS coffin.

Last edited by Willy; 05-25-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #28
edk926

Right now, GURPS has literally 2 editors and have to make Kickstarters to pay for half of their planned releases. Somehow I don't think they'll ever be given the people or budget for a 5E. That said, it's very possible they are working on another licensed product along the lines of Girl Genius or Discworld. Or possibly another DFRPG like game for a different genre.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:17 PM   #29
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Right now, GURPS has literally 2 editors and have to make Kickstarters to pay for half of their planned releases.
For what it's worth, I don't think this is how SJGames looks at their crowdfunding. Even as a much smaller company, I am about 50-50 on projects I need crowdfunding to help get the art over the crest to projects I only use to size the print run.

Kickstarter is almost beyond compare in the RPG space for generating buzz and collecting and accelerating orders into one batch. While the long tail or "rent" flavor of decades ago is gone, being able to bulk order print and shipping helps both company and customer. It's just efficient.

I could have released my current project straight to retail, having funded all the art and a few hundred copies for initial printing internally. My efforts in the past have convinced me that this is unwise; Kickstarter is always better.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:48 PM   #30
Stormcrow

If starting with character creation instead of the "how to play" stuff is perceived a such a problem, why not start reading with Campaigns and go back to Characters later?
Closed Thread