Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2022, 02:07 AM   #1
Plane

Default Zombies and Doorknobs

Recent TV has got me thinking - what sort of IQ rolls and DX roll should be required to do things like turn doorknobs?

It's the type of thing we take for granted for your average IQ 10 / DX 10 human so I'm guessing a +10/+10 sort of thing where you normally handwaive it for an average PC (if you ever crit-failed you'd just succeed a second later) but in terms of edge-of-sapience things like zombies, the rolls could be interesting.

It might also come up in situations where magic or injury temporary befuddles someone into a state where they might struggle with those things, or maybe if there's slippery viscera on hands/doorknob where you can't quite get a grip, or maybe you don't reach for the doorknob properly in bad lighting.

In cases where you need to quickly open a door, quickly lock a door, etc then succeeding or failing in 1 second instead of 2-3 could become important in escaping a horde, or a horde opening a door and sticking a limb through before you can barricade it properly.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:18 AM   #2
Juan

Default Re: Zombies and Doorknobs

I would go for IQ 5/6 (which is ok for a chimpanzee and a young child) as enough to turn a doorknob with no roll needed.

In some films we see zombies unable to recognize doors as what they are; so not an IQ problem but a knowledge problem. They just cannot remember what a door is. There are other examples of zombies using machinery, guns and the like.

What memories do a zombie keep should be the issue here.

Last edited by Juan; 10-12-2022 at 06:34 AM.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It might also come up in situations where magic or injury temporary befuddles someone into a state where they might struggle with those things, or maybe if there's slippery viscera on hands/doorknob where you can't quite get a grip, or maybe you don't reach for the doorknob properly in bad lighting.

In cases where you need to quickly open a door, quickly lock a door, etc then succeeding or failing in 1 second instead of 2-3 could become important in escaping a horde, or a horde opening a door and sticking a limb through before you can barricade it properly.
If the character knows how to turn a doorknob, I would say a DX roll would be good enough. Margin of failing translating directly into seconds needed to open the door; margin of success could translate into the character closing again the door in order to hinder the chase.

Last edited by Juan; 10-12-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
Varyon

Failure to recognize a doorknob as such is simply a failure of knowledge; this is generally going to be a GM call, although I suppose IQ to realize what it is could come into play (personally, I'd be disinclined to try to game that out, as it's similar to rolling against DX - undoubtedly at a sizable bonus - to not fall when leisurely walking over normal terrain). Failure to turn a doorknob would generally only be if you're rushing things - typically because you're trying to do it as a free action (generally while doing something else, like Evaluating or using All Out Defense against the monster after you), but it could also be part of having failed a Fright Check. A straight DX roll to do it as a free action might not be out of the question. For creatures with No Fine Manipulators - or the variant that crabs and many zombies should have, where your Fine Manipulators can be used for grabbing stuff but not really manipulating it - may need a straight DX roll to turn a circular doorknob even as a Ready. Door levers are easier, probably giving a +4 in either case.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
RyanW

Ideally, the solution that is decided on should also be flexible enough to handle velociraptors.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
Rolando

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Ideally, the solution that is decided on should also be flexible enough to handle velociraptors.

And drunk people
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
and other clever girl dinos
Old 10-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
David Johnston2

I think the only thing that keeps cats from using doorknobs is their lack of manual dexterity and cats do not have a high IQ. Typically zombies can't handle doorknobs because regardless of IQ considerations they act as if they are in a permanent state of berserker rage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
That's the scene I was thinking of when I suggested door levers (by which I mean the door handles you can turn by simply pressing down on them, rather than needing to grip them and turn) giving a bonus to the check. Of course, outside of the Jurassic Park setting, velociraptors would also need to pass a Jumping check or similar to get up high enough to reach the door handle.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:40 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That's the scene I was thinking of when I suggested door levers (by which I mean the door handles you can turn by simply pressing down on them, rather than needing to grip them and turn) giving a bonus to the check. Of course, outside of the Jurassic Park setting, velociraptors would also need to pass a Jumping check or similar to get up high enough to reach the door handle.
Yeah, the 'velociraptors' in Jurassic Park are more like smart, featherless utahraptors, IIRC. I guess 'velociraptor' just sounds cooler.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors, ladders, locks, nuisance roll, zombies