Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
scc

Default [Powers] ER Only Energy Recovery On Regeneration

So Powers gives us the FP Only -0% Modifier for Regeneration, Powers also gives us the Energy Reserve advantage that can power Powers instead of FP, presumably Regeneration regenerates ER at the same rate as ER.

But that's not the situation that I'm interested in. I'm interested in the situation where a Werewolf regains his Luna Energy during a full moon or a Succubus her sex energy during sex. Now these are both situations that are so limiting that they immediately run against the -80% limit on Limitations, but it's still a good idea to ask.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [Powers] ER Only Energy Recovery On Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
But that's not the situation that I'm interested in. I'm interested in the situation where a Werewolf regains his Luna Energy during a full moon or a Succubus her sex energy during sex. Now these are both situations that are so limiting that they immediately run against the -80% limit on Limitations, but it's still a good idea to ask.
For the werewolf: Accessibility, 25% of the time, Duration of the Full Moon, -30%.

For the succubus: Accessibility, Only with Assistants, 1 Assistant, -5%.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
"Only while playing an instrument" is canonically -20%, and I think sex would be about as restrictive if not more so.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
I'm interested in the situation where a Werewolf regains his Luna Energy during a full moon or a Succubus her sex energy during sex.
Quote:
I think you got this from PU8p5 (right column) reference to halving B143's basic point value for Maintenance? Thaumatology 199 also references it...

I don't think this is meant to be used in isolation though, since it begs the question "assist with what?"

I think (from left column) sex should clearly call for a -10% for "requires gestures", and if you require assistance they would need to commit to similar gestures.

Requires gestures seems a lot like PU8p17's "requires ready" except that instead of requiring a specific maneuver choice, you could probably fit your gestures into other maneuvers so long as the required limbs aren't pinned.

To use magic as an example: you can perform gestures during a Concentrate maneuver, so it clearly doesn't require an "attack" or "ready" or "change posture" to move yourself (or objects involved in a ritual) in the ways that 'requires gestures' call for.

That said: I kinda like the idea of it having SOME limited cost, such as using up your step for the leg movements and using two arms' parries for the hand movements.

GURPS Magic fans, does that seem like overkill? I like this house rule because it creates an extra reason why mages would prefer to use two-handed staffs in combat even if they only need to parry once per turn against a single foe: MA123's "Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons" rule would only mean -2 to parry instead of -4 for a 1H weapon.

if it doesn't use up a parry (-4 cumulative) in the very least the hand should be -1 to parry derived from the -2 to DX you get for "doing two things at once" (usually just for Move and Attack)

Taking a -5% for "while conscious" also seems like an appropriate baseline, as most people don't have a way of making their body do gestures whilst unconscious (though there might be a spell to get around that).

Together that comes up to -20%.

Other good ways to save points would be to add -10% for PU8p17's "requires skill roll" (doing Requires DX roll floated to Erotic Art perhaps)

Maybe another -10% for PU8p5's "Only while using (ability)" if you have some advantage that would require this to operate. (like for example require Flexible?) which only means that if the other advantage is lost or switched off somehow (like Affliction : Negated Advantage) that you can't use Regeneration until you get it back.

If getting you up to -40% isn't enough, you might even squeak by with the cheapest (-10%) version of "only while moving" which requires moving at 1 step per second, but that would at least you to require roll back and forth between 2 hexes, so it would prevent the sex from activating the regenerating if tied to a bed, for example and you couldn't change hexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
"Only while playing an instrument" is canonically -20%, and I think sex would be about as restrictive if not more so.
for the Leech advantage "Requires sexual intimacy" is a -25% accessibility you can take on top of something which already receives a full -30% discount for Contact Agent (total -55%)

I don't know how well that precedent for an Attack advantage would translate to a passive (non-targeted) ability like Regeneration though since the implication there (present in the fluff text if not the crunch of the modifier name) is obviously "sexual intimacy with the target I'm specifically Leeching" not "sexual intimacy with anyone, even if not the target I'm touching the skin/cotton of"

- -

I think you're referring to B110's "only while playing a trumpet" which we should note is "this specific instrument" not "any instrument whatsoever" which would probably be worth fewer points.

I'm wondering if we can actually build that -30% from other bits...

PU8p5's "requires material components" is a base -10% for needing to hold something specific. I think "a musical instrument" is already probably closer to "an agate" than "a rock" in rareness/specificity, so maybe you could take the extra -5% (total -15%) for "extremely rare" if GM is generous.

I'm sure I've seen this -10% applied for "holding a staff" (ANY staff, not a specific one like Gadget or even a subject of the the Staff spell) but I can't remember which book/page (this ring a bell for anyone?) which is probably somewhere between "an instrument" and "a trumpet" in rarity.

"any instrument" might even be broader than "a stick" since in theory any object might qualify as percussion (ie improvised drumstick) so perhaps instead of "any instrument" having meaning (essentially "any object", meaningless) you'd instead stick to classes of professional instruments like "any woodwind" or "any brasswind"

Should a trumpet qualify as "extremely rare" ? I imagine trumpets (or even brass instruments as a whole) are harder to get your hands on than "a wooden stick" or whatever qualifies as "staff" as a material component for practicing magic (perhaps it requires some expertise fashioning it, ie can't use a branch/mop as an 'improvised staff' to access your Magery?)

There's a -10% for "requires gestures" (you need to finger a trumpet to play it) but I'm thinking perhaps only -5% since you can play a trumpet one-handed (you'd need to pin BOTH hands not just one) and also because pinning your legs wouldn't impede a trumpeteer.

So let's say -20% for those two? As for the last -10% since you actually need to PLAY the trumpet (not just hold it and do the fingering) that seems pretty much like the -10% for Accessibility: REquires Magic Words also on PU8p5... reaching a -30%

If we need to round out 5% you could always assume Accessibility: Only while playing a trumpet might have "requires IQ roll" built in, replacing IQ with B211's "Musical Instrument" skill as appropriate to the instrument you're using (any instrument if -10% trumpets only if -15% was my wager) if you interpret "play" as "blow and finger skillfully" not just "blow and finger randomly"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
I'd make that "Accessibility, Only during sex, requires one or more assistants, -20%."
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
So Powers gives us the FP Only -0% Modifier for Regeneration, Powers also gives us the Energy Reserve advantage that can power Powers instead of FP, presumably Regeneration regenerates ER at the same rate as ER.

Pyramid #4/3 has your answers.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I'd make that "Accessibility, Only during sex, requires one or more assistants, -20%."
probably best to list those separately, so -5 for conscious, -5 for gestures, -5 for assistant also doing gestures, maybe -5 for the gestures requiring physical contact with one another?

Not sure normally how far apart you helpers can be
Old 07-11-2021, 03:57 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Not sure normally how far apart you helpers can be
Thinking it over, I'd use "participants" rather than "helpers." I'd assume they have to be fairly close to fit on the same surface (bed).
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #9
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Pyramid #4/3 has your answers.
(Finds page 14 easy enough) Those numbers don't look right, because unless there's something I'm missing, Triggered Recharge is always an Enhancement, not a Limitation. If you assume that there's a -70% Limitation for Special Recharge, most of those are still a net increase.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Plane

Quote:
(Finds page 14 easy enough) Those numbers don't look right, because unless there's something I'm missing, Triggered Recharge is always an Enhancement, not a Limitation. If you assume that there's a -70% Limitation for Special Recharge, most of those are still a net increase.
I assumed author just forgot to mention these are taken with the -70% from Special Recharge, because otherwise I don't understand why anyone would take the +30% version since 1 per 10 minutes is how ER recharges by default (you're not gaining anything)

Considering 1 energy/second bleed is -80% on P119 (only an extra -10%) it seems like "Energy Discharge" might be meant to replace that? It changes -10% to be 1 per 10 minutes while 1 per second is now assigned -30% ... actually the difference is even more extreme since you get x2 for rare/difficult meaning that's -20% and -60% respectably, and still avoidable whereas P119's -80% loss isn't avoidable in any way.

Tags
energy reserve, regeneration