Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Star Trek Orions

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
True, I will note that ADB's Prime Directive addresses this, while there is an Orion Pirate Template in the core rule book, they have a separate one in PD:Federation that lacks the Dis Ads and some Ads in the core rule book. With more advertised in the upcoming PD:Orion Pirates.
Yeah, you need to make a distinction between racial template and cultural quirk. Even then the Orions probably only disrespect other people's laws.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
*shrug* The ones from Enterprise are considered canon, and utilized in other Star Trek media. It makes them more interesting, too, rather than just being extremely generic 'attractive alien females'.
The series finale makes the canonicity of anything in ENT nicely dubious (clarification: I dislike ENT nearly as much as I despise Abramstrek). As for being interesting, that's debatable.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
The series finale makes the canonicity of anything in ENT nicely dubious.
Yeah, people who hate Enterprise kind of wish that was true even though the rest of the episodes were obviously not holodeck games just because there were no players there. However, Enterprise is obviously not the real past of either TOS or TNG because it was established in Enterprise that history had been tampered with notably by bringing a lot of future tech back into the past. Thus, it's only the real past of the Nutrek movies.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
BaronVonStevie

I was quite willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the new Trek films after the 09 one. You can sympathize with "hey we want to reinvigorate it! we want to save it." before a film like that gets put out there with the name Star Trek slapped on it. After Into Darkness, I began to change my tune; not because the movie was bad, but because the movie highlighted how three films is just not enough to make Star Trek really Star Trek. You can't put three films together... especially when one of them is kind of a lazy tribute film... and expect it to encompass Star Trek.

Enterprise though... phew... definitely okay with the feel of it; it was a return to episodic "go to the planet and solve the problem" Star Trek. I hated the premise; that there was a captain before Kirk who was basically Kirk and a ship called Enterprise before the Enterprise that was basically the Enterprise. That's silly. The show is watchable, but that's silly.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
, it's only the real past of the Nutrek movies.
It's not that. The NX-01 was very sensibly built in orbit.

You'd need something like a nanovirus that lowered the IQ of everyone in the galaxy by 30 pts.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
BaronVonStevie

I remember complaining about Kirk in the new films; how not smart he is... how terribly over the top his immaturity is. At that point, you find out who actually watches Star Trek and who is kind of new to it all. They act like Shatner was playing this frat boy in outer space. They miss the Kennedy overtones, the Horatio Hornblower overtones... Kirk is supposed to be an explorer and a philosopher... and a cowboy.

Then you get this appeal to the "alternate universe" part. Well, this Kirk never had a dad so he's rash... okay... so that's the reason? I want to know if this is a choice with the character that's even worth it. Kirk had a purpose on TOS. In the new films he is literally just a frat boy in space.

btw nothing against Chris Pine. That guy does a fine job. It's just the script makes Kirk *so* stupid.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
adm

JJ-Trek's real problem are the poor scripts. The tech looks good, the actors are spot on, given what they have to work with (although I prefer the serious Scotty to the comic relief Scotty), the special effects work wonderfully. All of that just needs a story worth telling.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
BaronVonStevie

Doohan had time on the first show to play both a serious and a funny Scotty... then in Wrath of Khan you saw the ultra serious Scotty and in Voyage Home, of course, you got the ultra silly Scotty. Pegg is just going for yucks (and, again, totally fine with the casting. I think we were all really happy when we heard he was cast in the role).

but yeah, totally agree with the scripts being bad. I'm actually in camp of throwing out the "alternate universe" idea. I just say they should have retconned stuff with no explaination and said "this is what Star Trek should stand for in the 21st century". I really could care less about canon and making it exciting shouldn't have to mean making it for idiots. No winks and nods to fanboys at all... no dumbing it down. Just give me something worthy of the name. JJ is evidently the wrong guy for it. After Into Darkness, I don't have much of an opinion of him.

Beyond that? Yeah, the cast is fine and the style of it is pretty cool. I love the Enterprise. Kirk and Spock have this cool partnership. A lot of it works, but it's very superficial.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
True, I will note that ADB's Prime Directive addresses this, while there is an Orion Pirate Template in the core rule book, they have a separate one in PD:Federation that lacks the Dis Ads and some Ads in the core rule book. With more advertised in the upcoming PD:Orion Pirates.
Okay, here is my second pass. I've made non-pirates/slave girls less overtly piratey/slave girly. I added the Sex Pheromones from Bio-Tech (thanks Langly). I prefer escalating Enthrallment contests to the whammy of a Slave Mentality affliction.

I still think there should be a better why to say "[- 5] Intolerance (Legal System)".

ORION MALE TEMPLATE (5 PTS)
Attributes
[ 10] ST+1 B14

Advantages & Disadvantages
[ 0] Cultural Familiarity (Orion) B23
[ 0] Language: Orion -- Native B24
[ 5] Resistant -- Disease, +10; +8 to all HT rolls to resist, x0.5. B81
[- 5] Intolerance (Legal System) -- Scope: Common, -5. B140

choose at least -5 points from:
[- 5]Compulsive Spending -- CR: 12 (Quite Often), +20% Cost of Living Increase. B129
[-15] Greed -- CR: 12 (Quite Often). B137

Orion - Optional [5 pts]
[ 5] Radiation Tolerance -- PF: 2, +5. B79

PIRATE LENS [6 pts]
[ 2] Cultural Familiarity (Federation) -- Alien, +1. B23
[ 6] Language: English -- Spoken (Native), +3; Written (Native), +3. B24
[ 15] Patron -- Orion Syndicate, +30; Appears quite rarely (6-), x0.5; Equipment (Stolen tech from multiple species), +100%; Minimal Interventions, -50%; Unwilling, -50%. B72
[-12] Duty (Orion Syndicate) -- FR: 6, -2; Extremely Hazardous, -5; Involuntary, -5. B133
[- 5] Social Stigma (Known Criminal) -- -1 Reaction, -2 for cops & judges after public denouncement or visible sign. B186

ORION FEMALE TEMPLATE (20 PTS)
Attributes
[-10] ST-1 B14

[ 0] Cultural Familiarity (Orion) B23
[ 0] Language: Orion -- Native B24
[ 4] Appearance -- Attractive, +4. B21
[ 28] Orion Female Pheromones 1 -- Lecherousness (12) (-5 if Beautiful, -10 if Very Beautiful), +15%; Accessibility (only on most races attracted to your gender), -20%; Area Effect 1, +50%; Emanation, -20%; Scent-Based, +150%. 2yd range, HT to resist, 1m/MoF. BT48
[ 5] Resistant -- Disease, +10; +8 to all HT rolls to resist, x0.5. B81
[- 7] Lecherousness -- CR: 15 (Almost All The Time). B142

Orion - Optional [5 pts]
[ 5] Radiation Tolerance -- PF: 2, +5. B79

Notes
Human females reacted negatively to Orion female pheromones, experiencing headaches, and Denobulan males found their sleep cycles interrupted by them. Vulcans were immune to effects of the pheromones. -- "Orion" Memory Alpha

GREEN ORION SLAVE GIRL LENS [28+ pts]
[ 2] Cultural Familiarity (Federation) -- Alien, +1. B23
[ 6] Language: English -- Spoken (Native), +3; Written (Native), +3. B24
[ 5] Charisma 1 -- +1/level to Influence rolls. B41
[ 1] Skill Adaptation (Persuade--Dancing at 12+, Suggest--Sex Appeal at 12+, Captivate--Erotic Art at 12+) Enthrallment prerequiste not Public Speaking at 12+. MA51

upgrade [4 pts] Attractive from the Orion Female Template to one of these:
[ 12] Appearance -- Beautiful. B21
[ 16] Appearance -- Very Beautiful. B21
[ 20] Appearance -- Transcendent. B21

Skills
[ 1] Dancing - 9 DX-1 B187
[ 1] Sex Appeal - 9 HT-1 B219
[ 1] Erotic Art - 9 DX-1 B192
Enthrallment (Prerequisite skills must be at 12+) B191
[ 1] Persuade (1m, 2 FP, Dancing) - 8 Will-2 B191
[ 1] Suggest (20m, 6 FP, Sex Appeal) - 8 Will-2 B191
[ 1] Captivate (30m, 8 FP, Erotic Art) - 8 Will-2 B191

Notes
Unless DX and HT are at 13, the Enthrallment prerequisites--Dancing, Sex Appeal, and Erotic Art--will need to have more than 1 point put into them.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-24-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added discussion text before templates/lenses
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
David Johnston2

I still hate "intolerant: legal system" And why would a pirate have CF Federation? In fact NOT having CF Federation would actually do a good job of representing that they'd bump heads with Federation authorities.

Tags
cultural templates, occupational templates, racial template, racial templates, sci-fi, star trek