Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default How do you handle Affliction: Destiny?

What it says on the tin. Sure, 'I would not allow the ability to afflict someone with a Destiny ad or disad at all' is a valid response, but if you did allow it, how would you handle it? After all, an Affliction is usually temporary, and Destiny is something that needs to be worked into the campaign. Celtic Myth is full of people (some of them close enough to mortal to make plausible PCs) who can place a geas on others, and a geas (geis, gesa) in that sort of setting is a variant of Destiny, so the question is somewhat valid for that setting, as well (even though those are usually permanent).

(For clarification, I'm not assuming that 'allows Destinies as Afflictions at all' is in any way equivalent to 'allows PCs to afflict any Destiny which they can think of.' Forbidding unbalancing, game-breaking, or otherwise fun-killing abilities is part of the GM's job.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, question