Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 07-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #31
43Supporter

Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I was more disagreeing with 43 that bikes can be written off as impossible
Hence the caveat about "smart bikers" -- it's a question answered in one of the ADQs, in the article "Bikers Are People, Too", and in one of the "Backfire" letters.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #32
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Hence the caveat about "smart bikers" -- it's a question answered in one of the ADQs, in the article "Bikers Are People, Too", and in one of the "Backfire" letters.
Bikers are People Too by Larry Sewell ADQ 3/2, p. 31
Old 07-17-2021, 01:39 AM   #33
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
Fair, and Honestly I thinking more in my own Campaign where most of the police are RCMP and how that give better communication, they have quality vehicles, they are stretch thin and given direction to keep travel routes open over over all policing. That likely is kind of unique also corruption is at an all time low.

Currently the Groups constant thorns in the RCMP are going to be groups that either are based in the US, as Huge amounts of settled Canada is in almost a single charge of the border or those for various reason can go to ground into populations or because they can create doubt of connection between the father organization and the raiders, or occasionally all of the above.
It sounds like the RCMP could reasonably have a central pool of aircraft to call upon but these would be dispersed around (probably one airfield per province in the capital). These aircraft here can be well defended and deployed out to dissuade large scale build-up of bandits of all kinds.

I am sure if a more local force needed a small aircraft they could request the assistance of the citizenry and most forces would be on friendly terms with someone with a crop duster that could be used for aerial observation (and that would remove the need for the police to have a trained pilot).

Does your campaign feature the traditional ruined cities that are a feature of CW in the USA. If not it wont be so easy for bike gangs to hide. I am sure my impression of Canada is wholly stereotypical so you will be the best judge of where large gangs could hide out and if they can hide safely.

Remember all a gang needs to hide from air-based attack is some camo netting (and anti-radar netting for the vehicles). You can't bomb what you can't see :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #34
43Supporter

Quote:
It sounds like the RCMP could reasonably have a central pool of aircraft to call upon but these would be dispersed around (probably one airfield per province in the capital). These aircraft here can be well defended and deployed out to dissuade large scale build-up of bandits of all kinds.
I'm picturing something like what EDSEL has (had?) -- each county (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is) has a base, with some number of squadrons based thereon; squadron size is probably 4-8, with about every third or so squadron being "ash and trash" rather than combat.

Quote:
Remember all a gang needs to hide from air-based attack is some camo netting (and anti-radar netting for the vehicles). You can't bomb what you can't see :)
Tell that to the Japanese forces in the Pacific in WW2; or the Iraqis during the '90s.

That's why I love CBs -- "See that mapsheet? Not any more.... >:) "

79er

Old 07-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #35
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:

I am sure if a more local force needed a small aircraft they could request the assistance of the citizenry and most forces would be on friendly terms with someone with a crop duster that could be used for aerial observation (and that would remove the need for the police to have a trained pilot).

Does your campaign feature the traditional ruined cities that are a feature of CW in the USA. If not it wont be so easy for bike gangs to hide. I am sure my impression of Canada is wholly stereotypical so you will be the best judge of where large gangs could hide out and if they can hide safely.

Compared to the USA it is pretty sparsely populated there lots of bush areas to hide in.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #36
43Supporter

Quote:
Compared to the USA it is pretty sparsely populated there lots of bush areas to hide in.
Also makes it easier to find and remove them -- look for traces of their presence; and if they're out in the boonies where no one cares, one doesn't have to worry so much about "innocents".

"What was working for you can work against you."
[Ace Hunter, _MegaForce_]

:)

79er

Old 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #37
swordtart

Quote:
Tell that to the Japanese forces in the Pacific in WW2; or the Iraqis during the '90s."
There are plenty of counter examples, but it would be tasteless to enumerate them. I am unaware of occasions when single aircraft went out on hunting expeditions for ground forces where the location of the enemy hadn't been established via other means.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #38
swordtart

Quote:
...if they're out in the boonies where no one cares, one doesn't have to worry so much about "innocents".

:)
Equally if no one cares why bother hunting them. CW forces are generally to one degree or other mercenary. They need to turn a profit. Any games where one player enjoys unlimited resources is generally a waste of time.

The larger the area an enemy can hide in, the greater the amount of off-mission time the aircraft has to spend. CW doesn't have satellites pinpointing the baddies position. If you have tracked them using ground forces (the stereotypical role of the Mountie) then you can plaster them, but the game is about the finding not the denouement. CW isn't that game either since it is a game of tactical car combat and hide and seek isn't really covered in the rules.

So. Either your scenario is set-up where you know where the enemy are and just whale on them whack-a-mole style, or it is set as some sort of hot pursuit where resource limited Mounties finally close with a broadly equal enemy force. The former is a waste of an afternoon the latter could be entertaining but only of there is genuine peril for the good guys.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #39
juris

Where does your campaign take place? Now I'm thinking Ice Road Truckers with guns... Two words - napalm mines

Quote:
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #40
swordtart

Quote:
Sounds like ideal bandit territory. Fortunately Mounties are fabled as masters of this terrain also and according to tradition can track their quarry for weeks. Perhaps this is what has re-established the reputation of the mounties in your game. Rather than being regular cops they have embraced tradition, honour and duty and as a result are getting that reciprocated by the public.

They don't have that much in the way of resources, but that makes them lean. If you were making a film of the game, that would be the story, not some air operation that is over in seconds because the goodies have all the best toys.

If you pare down your resources it means you can make your biker gangs a bit more hungry too. Bikers armed with SAMs doesn't fit with my image of CW.

The closer you stay to the low end of the tech tree, the more victory relies on tactics rather then tooling.