Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #291
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Spoiler:  

Vassarious checks out the security and proceeds to bypass what he needs to to remain undetected, enters the apartment, plants the bugs and gets out...

Spoiler:  

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-04-2021 at 09:37 AM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #292
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll grab a hold of that sword arm with another two arms.

So that leaves me at:
-> Two holding the torso
-> Potentially two holding an arm
-> One holding a knife
-> And one free

He jerks his arm away from the grasping tentacles and then attempts to break away... he rolls a 10... success by 10 on a ST attempt, and by 5 on a wrestling attempt... I think you need an 11 or lower to beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious checks out the security and proceeds to bypass what he needs to to remain undetected, enters the apartment, plants the bugs and gets out...
Vassarious arrives in elemental form... its 22 stories off the ground, and the building seems to be sealed and pressurized. However, slipping into the door behind someone is quite easy, either as an elemental or as a human.

Vassarious can try slipping up the building through the vents as an elemental or switch into human form and take on security traditionally. At what stage of the climb does V change form

Quote:
Current HP: Down 6 points (I think)
Current FP: Full

The Hybrid form has hourly regeneration, but you had said regeneration doesn't transfer (Non-reciprocal recovery), so does shifting between air form and the genesis form mean he has to heal that damage each time he resumes the regenerating form, or does he just have the damage when in non-regenerating forms? Did enough time pass while communicating and researching for any regeneration to take place?
V has the damage in non-regenerating forms... plus needs to heal it at some point in a regenerating form.

I'd say you've had enough time to heal two points of damage while arranging your job.

Quote:
(I failed to specify the template V was in, so I think you were assuming plain human when you assessed the 5 points of damage... In the future, I'll be sure to specify, but if I forget, you can assume I am using the Genesis form with cosmetic tweaks so V is ready for trouble.)
fair enough.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #293
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He jerks his arm away from the grasping tentacles and then attempts to break away... he rolls a 10... success by 10 on a ST attempt, and by 5 on a wrestling attempt... I think you need an 11 or lower to beat him.
Don't I get a +5 for two hands (B371)? Anyway:
Quote:
[173] 21-12-06 18:43:03 GMT
Counter-break free
3d6
2 + 4 + 2 = 8
Well he's stuck anyway. Assuming he doesn't have an extra maneuver up his sleeve, I'll proceed.
Let's try that takedown again:
Quote:
[174] 21-12-06 18:46:05 GMT
Takedown
-3d6 +21
- 5 - 1 - 4 + 21 = 11
And I'll also try grabbing at his arm:
Quote:
[175] 21-12-06 18:48:13 GMT
Judo (-2 for arm)
3d6 <= 15 : 1 + 6 + 2 = 9 ... success
And cutting at his neck with another arm:
Quote:
[176] 21-12-06 18:50:18 GMT
Knife (at -5 for neck)
3d6 <= 9
5 + 5 + 2 = 12 ... failure
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #294
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Vassarious can try slipping up the building through the vents as an elemental or switch into human form and take on security traditionally. At what stage of the climb does V change form
Vasarious will slip through the door and through the building in air form and will try to navigate the vents into the apartment and evaluate the security system before taking a solid form.
Spoiler:  
Old 12-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #295
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Don't I get a +5 for two hands (B371)? Anyway:

Well he's stuck anyway. Assuming he doesn't have an extra maneuver up his sleeve, I'll proceed.
Yes, you get +5.

Quote:
Let's try that takedown again:
He is forced down by your superior strength and speed, and is now prone.

Quote:
And I'll also try grabbing at his arm:
Note: you only have -1 to aim because this is a grab and penalties are halved. You also might want to consider using deceptive attack here. he feverishly defends, and his arm is still free.

The knife of course misses.

Kunnifax pummles Halcyone's body, trying to strike something vulnerable. Despite being at -4 to attack, he hits. That's potentially five damage. (its 2d-1, not 2d+1)

Quote:
Vasarious will slip through the door and through the building in air form and will try to navigate the vents into the apartment and evaluate the security system before taking a solid form.

Vassarious makes it into the suite at the top. Extensive security keeps people out from the outside, and the entrance areas have cameras and mics watching them. V isn't sure what they are hooked up to, but at least one area is "clean" lacking them. It's obviously a room for talking in. V isn't sure yet what the cameras are hooked up to... a personal recording system, or a remotely monitored one.

Go ahead and describe how Vassarious overcomes the cameras and places their own bugs. You've already made the roll for overcoming the security system.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 12-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #296
TGLS

Quote:
Kunnifax pummles Halcyone's body, trying to strike something vulnerable. Despite being at -4 to attack, he hits. That's potentially five damage. (its 2d-1, not 2d+1)
I'll deflect his fists with a free arm:
Quote:
[181] 21-12-07 23:41:08 GMT
Judo Parry
3d6 <= 11
4 + 3 + 2 = 9 ... success
By two.

Now on to a pin attempt:
Quote:
[182] 21-12-07 23:50:06 GMT
ST (+3 from more hands)
3d6
5 + 3 + 6 = 14
Well that probably didn't work.

Grab for the arm:
Quote:
[183] 21-12-07 23:51:38 GMT
Judo (-1 for arm, -4 for deceptive attack)
3d6 <= 12
3 + 1 + 1 = 5 ... success
Slash at the neck:
Quote:
[184] 21-12-07 23:53:41 GMT
Knife (at -5 for neck)
3d6 <= 9
2 + 6 + 1 = 9 ... success
Old 12-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #297
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

He roll's a 12... that's a success by 8 for him, and by 10 for you... He's pinned! and "helpless"

No defenses, no actions but to break free.... once every 10 seconds. at -10

The arm is now grappled... and the knife hits the throat.

The fight is pretty much over. What will you do with your immortal victim?

Old 12-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #298
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious will make sure he knows where the cameras are and if possible, simply take on a solid form out of sightlines to take a form that he can access the equipment from (behind furniture or counters).

While disabling the cameras entirely is an option, it would likely generate a security alert of some kind. Generally, footage is not checked unless there is an event to prompt such a review, so Vassarious elects to let them run and try to be as unnoticeable as possible if he needs to cross the camera views.

Vassarious sets down the remaining bugs and takes the form of a small chameleon, camouflages themself, and sneaks about placing the bugs in optimal positions. If they can get into the walls, he will place them on the backsides of electrical outlet plates and other thin barriers they find that would be thin enough for the bugs to do their work while never entering the sightline of the cameras. If he is forced to cross a camera view, they will be as small as possible and use camouflage to avoid detection.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-08-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:19 AM   #299
TGLS

Quote:
He roll's a 12... that's a success by 8 for him, and by 10 for you... He's pinned! and "helpless"
Actually it's a regular contest, but because of how normalized regular contests are it's the same result. Go figure.

Quote:
No defenses, no actions but to break free.... once every 10 seconds. at -10

The arm is now grappled... and the knife hits the throat.

The fight is pretty much over. What will you do with your immortal victim?
I'll try to interrogate him (questions like, "Why did the emperor send you to kill me?" and "What were you told about me?"). Something tells me he isn't going to be to willing to talk. Unless he says something startling, I'll proceed with decapitating him.
Oh, I should probably include an interrogation roll:
Quote:
[186] 21-12-09 13:20:27 GMT
Memetics! (as interrogation)
3d6 <= 15
5 + 2 + 4 = 11 ... success
Old 12-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #300
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Vassarious will make sure he knows where the cameras are and if possible, simply take on a solid form out of sightlines to take a form that he can access the equipment from (behind furniture or counters).

While disabling the cameras entirely is an option, it would likely generate a security alert of some kind. Generally, footage is not checked unless there is an event to prompt such a review, so Vassarious elects to let them run and try to be as unnoticeable as possible if he needs to cross the camera views.

Vassarious sets down the remaining bugs and takes the form of a small chameleon, camouflages themself, and sneaks about placing the bugs in optimal positions. If they can get into the walls, he will place them on the backsides of electrical outlet plates and other thin barriers they find that would be thin enough for the bugs to do their work while never entering the sightline of the cameras. If he is forced to cross a camera view, they will be as small as possible and use camouflage to avoid detection.

Nicely done. Vassarious places all of the bugs. Will he inform his contact the job is done before he leaves the building or afterwards?

Quote:
Actually it's a regular contest, but because of how normalized regular contests are it's the same result. Go figure.
Good catch... I thought that was a little quick.

Quote:
I'll try to interrogate him (questions like, "Why did the emperor send you to kill me?" and "What were you told about me?"). Something tells me he isn't going to be to willing to talk. Unless he says something startling, I'll proceed with decapitating him.
He seems startled about something, hesitates for a moment, and then says "What did you do to the emperor? He's Gone"