Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Co-writing with ChatGPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
My feeling is that using an AI to generate content isn't much different from using a dice rolling system to generate content. For example, you might create a dungeon and roll dice to see if there are creatures in a room, what they are, if they have treasure, what the treasure is, and if the treasure is protected by traps; or you might roll dice to create an imaginary solar system, or to make up an alien race; or you might create superheroes with random rolls. I've experimented with all of those.
Generated content is always going to be inferior, but so far I'm finding the ChatBot really good at finding unexpected ideas to build content on, and for fleshing out the corners. I'm finding it pretty good at helping me build bridges between my ideas.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:51 AM   #12
Embassy of Time

Quote:
For example, you might create a dungeon and roll dice to see if there are creatures in a room, what they are, if they have treasure, what the treasure is, and if the treasure is protected by traps; or you might roll dice to create an imaginary solar system, or to make up an alien race; or you might create superheroes with random rolls.
You need a looot of tables to look things up in for that, and I basically expect the AI to be all those tables. It has to be heavily curated, yes, but I want to see how far it can be pushed, and what weird stuff it creates beyond that.

Last edited by Embassy of Time; 02-06-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy of Time View Post
You need a looot of tables to look things up in for that, and I basically expect the AI to be all those tables. It has to be heavily curated, yes, but I want to see how far it can be oushes, and what weird stuff it creates beyond that.
In my copy of Dungeons and Dragons, copyright 1974, the second volume, Monsters and Treasure, is 40 pages long---and those pages are half the size of a standard sheet of printer paper. That doesn't seem all that much.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #14
The Colonel

Quote:
I asked it to interpret a line from a Joni Mitchell song, which I quoted. It gave me a detailed explanation of the symbolism based on the line's being part of her song "For Free." Unfortunately it was a line from "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow." It appears that it sometimes just makes things up . . .
Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:39 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So I went ahead and tried to get ChatGPT to build a campaign setting and generate some monsters for me.

It... performed better than that than every other task I've given it. This is not a high bar.

I wasn't happy with what it gave me. I was able to get some better results out of it eventually, but what it really did is kick-start my own creative process and I ended up coming up with some of my own setting idea that had nothing to do with GPT's super-generic stuff.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:59 PM   #16
Lovewyrm

That prospect is about as appealing to as using an Alexa like device to co write something.
ChatGPT is software as a service and proprietary and heavily filtered and curated.

Perhaps one of the many 'oracles' for role playing out there could help?
Things you roll for on tables, with dice, that sort of thing. They don't spy on you (at least the books don't)

And unless you know every single aspect of those works, the result is just as random as if chatgpt would have presented it.
Well, not exactly as random, I think that thing IS a bit more intelligent focus wise, but maybe you catch my drift here.

Would you for sure 100% know if chatGPT didn't use one of those supplements and pretended it's its own idea?
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:55 AM   #17
Embassy of Time

Quote:
In my copy of Dungeons and Dragons, copyright 1974, the second volume, Monsters and Treasure, is 40 pages long---and those pages are half the size of a standard sheet of printer paper. That doesn't seem all that much.
40 pages is still a lot to write as a tool for a single campaign, and if I understand you right, that is for one type of adventures in one genre. I still doubt chatGPT will work true magic, but it seems like a possibly great tool for some basic content!
Old 02-13-2023, 03:48 PM   #18
Embassy of Time

(From this thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
It's not the NPL (Natural Processing Language) that those "IA" use that do the magic but the data used to train it. So if you feed em all the fantasy fiction ever existed you can obtain a pretty decent "hallucination" machine that will spat out an infinite number of decent hooks.
It seems to do okay adventure seeds, but it REALLY needs the questions to be asked right! It still feels like there is something in there, it juuuust needs unlocking....
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The "apply them right" part involves paying OpenAI/Microsoft quite a lot of money. They don't want it to be too useful in its free form, since that would reduce their ability to make money off it.
I bet there are better versions behind thick paywalls, but I am not writing off this discount version just yet!
Old 02-13-2023, 05:28 PM   #19
korbeau

Just adding my experience with ChatGPT on this topic.

I ask him "What rpg rules do you know? The 10 games you know best?" and GURPS was at the top of the list. "The gurps system is the one you know the most?" I've reply and this was his answer:

"Yes, among the roleplaying systems I know, GURPS is the one I know the most in depth. GURPS is a generic role-playing system that allows you to create characters of any type of role-playing game genre, from fantasy and science fiction to historical games, horror games and superhero games. hero. It has detailed rules for fights, talents, powers, and campaigns. GURPS is a versatile roleplaying system that can be used to create campaigns of any type of roleplaying genre.

My knowledge of GURPS is based mainly on the information contained in the books "GURPS Basic Set: Characters" and "GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns" which contain the basic rules for creating characters, campaigns, and the rules for the different genres role-playing games. I have not been trained in the GURPS supplements, which can provide additional information on topics such as specific roleplaying game settings, advanced technology items, magical powers, and historical campaigns. It is important to note that my knowledge is dated from my last update which dates from 2021, there may be new features or changes in the GURPS rules since then."

I've appreciate the chat about GURPS with him.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #20
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
I have not been trained in the GURPS supplements .
Uhm.... It gave me a list of adventure seeds for GURPS Reign of Steel at one point. ChatGPT don't know what ChatGPT don't know, it seems!