Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #51
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Just scrolled through my comp copy. I can't wait to create a few examples. What I can say now is that the finished product delivers more than what the playtest already seemed to promise.
Well done, thank you.
You were super helpful when I was writing it, Michele. Thank you. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
Could I use this to approximate a game of Birthright but for GURPS?
Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'm sure the author would love to know what boxes it doesn't tick for helpful ideas for a possible future supplement.
Always interested in stuff where I may have missed something obvious or something that can go into a later book.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #52
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Realm Management

I was also a playtester and it's quite satisfying to see how the book improved from playtest to publication.

One thing I'm kicking myself for not thinking of during the playtest葉he mechanics for the Threaten action are interesting, but feel like they have some potential to produce illogical results用articularly if multiple small nations "gang up" on a much bigger one. I'm not sure that, say, simply applying the difference in realm size as a modifier to the quick contest is the right solution擁t sometimes makes sense for small nations to punch well above their weight class in international diplomacy. Maybe some penalty for repeatedly threatening round after round and never making good on your threats? Not sure.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #53
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I was also a playtester and it's quite satisfying to see how the book improved from playtest to publication.

One thing I'm kicking myself for not thinking of during the playtest葉he mechanics for the Threaten action are interesting, but feel like they have some potential to produce illogical results用articularly if multiple small nations "gang up" on a much bigger one. I'm not sure that, say, simply applying the difference in realm size as a modifier to the quick contest is the right solution擁t sometimes makes sense for small nations to punch well above their weight class in international diplomacy. Maybe some penalty for repeatedly threatening round after round and never making good on your threats? Not sure.
I'd probably just say each nation adds a +1 myself. And yeah, this is something I could have elaborated on more if I had the space (which I didn't really).

Become a Patron!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #54
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd probably just say each nation adds a +1 myself. And yeah, this is something I could have elaborated on more if I had the space (which I didn't really).
This isn't a bad idea, but there's also the issue of one tiny nation using Threaten on a great power while one or more of its friends take more concrete actions against the great power on the same turn容specially if the tiny nation's leader has a high Intimidate skill for some reason. Narratively, I don't see anything wrong with that trick working once to represent a feint or distraction, but you'd think the bigger power would wise up eventually.

And like I said, I don't mind small nations being able to sometimes punch above their weight class in international diplomacy. Lots of international organizations use a "one member state, one vote" rule that ignores differences in population, GDP, etc. And single member of a group of loosely-allied nations can engage on saber-rattling on its own in a way that a province of a big nation can't. It's just that as-written Threaten seems to go overboard in that direction.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #55
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
Could I use this to approximate a game of Birthright but for GURPS?
If anything, Realm Management is even more flexible than BR. The Birthright system was very map-dependent, and you absolutely had to have an arbitrary map with arbitrary settlement and ley line numbers on it for the system to mean anything. RM goes beyond that to ask for cold hard vital statistics/demographics.

Also, I seem to recall that Birthright's system only gave you an arbitrary high limit of three regent actions per turn, no more. Realm Management seems to allow you more flexibility, with increasing penalties for the extras.

I'm still reading it through though.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #56
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
This isn't a bad idea, but there's also the issue of one tiny nation using Threaten on a great power while one or more of its friends take more concrete actions against the great power on the same turn容specially if the tiny nation's leader has a high Intimidate skill for some reason. Narratively, I don't see anything wrong with that trick working once to represent a feint or distraction, but you'd think the bigger power would wise up eventually.

And like I said, I don't mind small nations being able to sometimes punch above their weight class in international diplomacy. Lots of international organizations use a "one member state, one vote" rule that ignores differences in population, GDP, etc. And single member of a group of loosely-allied nations can engage on saber-rattling on its own in a way that a province of a big nation can't. It's just that as-written Threaten seems to go overboard in that direction.
Mmm. Maybe. I still like the version we got. It is the best of both worlds I think. Let me think on it some.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #57
Philomath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'm sure the author would love to know what boxes it doesn't tick for helpful ideas for a possible future supplement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Always interested in stuff where I may have missed something obvious or something that can go into a later book.
Just things which are already known (e.g., Boardroom & Curia compatibility pre-assembled, etc.) Keep in mind that no creative work can ever be 100%. Hitting 70% -- 80% of an individual's preferences is no mean feat (more so if it's most individuals). Hitting 90% is noteworthy.

If I should come up with something Mr. Rice can use I'll throw them at him and see what sticks. After all, I don't have time to write them for publication so the least I can do is pass them along for consideration to those that do.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #58
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I can't find an equivalent clause to city stats page 12 where drawing more than 4% revenue came with the risk of permanently damaging your monthly income. Was that dropped from realm management, or did I miss something?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #59
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I can't find an equivalent clause to city stats page 12 where drawing more than 4% revenue came with the risk of permanently damaging your monthly income. Was that dropped from realm management, or did I miss something?
From a logical stand point such spending doesn't effect Realms in the same way it effects cities.

Modern governments spend far in excess of their revenue to keep things moving along. As long as they don't go print happy with their fiat money everything is good. Heck, England is still repaying the debt it racked up in the 1700s!

The last time the US was debt free was in the 1840s. Debt spending was one of the tools used to fight the Great Depression and WWII for many nations.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #60
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
From a logical stand point such spending doesn't effect Realms in the same way it effects cities.

Modern governments spend far in excess of their revenue to keep things moving along. As long as they don't go print happy with their fiat money everything is good. Heck, England is still repaying the debt it racked up in the 1700s!

The last time the US was debt free was in the 1840s. Debt spending was one of the tools used to fight the Great Depression and WWII for many nations.
The viability of that depends rather a lot on the monetary and financial systems involved, at a minimum. I'm pretty sure Realm Management also covers settings where fiat currency is unlikely to be accepted and moneylenders aren't always eager to acquire sovereign debt. (Some modern 'realms' may experience similar conditions too - poorer countries can have very different relations with creditors than the US or UK.)

Tags
realm management