Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: table make why does random hit location hitting left side more likely?

Actually, a better change to what I said; Roll twice and take the average, rounding towards 10. Sadly, it still takes two rolls to do, but it makes torso hits much more likely and the extremes much less likely.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #32
RyanW

Default Re: table make why does random hit location hitting left side more likely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Actually, a better change to what I said; Roll twice and take the average, rounding towards 10. Sadly, it still takes two rolls to do, but it makes torso hits much more likely and the extremes much less likely.
That pretty closely approximates 3d4+3. Other than the fact that 3d4+3 completely eliminates head, neck, and feet (instead of just reducing them to sub-1%).
Old 04-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #33
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That pretty closely approximates 3d4+3. Other than the fact that 3d4+3 completely eliminates head, neck, and feet (instead of just reducing them to sub-1%).
That's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't recommend non d6 dice generally. Of course, since I use things like roll20 and computation when roleplaying, I wouldn't have an issue with changing hit location into actual % chance.

However, I do enjoy the idea of how it removes certain locations, at least for melee attacks. I can completely see requiring targeting (or at least a critical hit) to do things like punch feet or the more 'dodgy' head.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #34
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Quote:
Another option to renormalize the table is to roll 3d+xd and then remove the min/max dice from the roll. E.g. roll 4d and remove the highest die will skew the results towards higher numbers while roll 5d and removing the min and max die will skew the results towards the center. Keeps the d6 while not completely eliminating any specific results and not requiring two rolls or extra math - it's easier to remove a die then count the rest than to average two die rolls together.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #35
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Another option to renormalize the table is to roll 3d+xd and then remove the min/max dice from the roll. E.g. roll 4d and remove the highest die will skew the results towards higher numbers while roll 5d and removing the min and max die will skew the results towards the center. Keeps the d6 while not completely eliminating any specific results and not requiring two rolls or extra math - it's easier to remove a die then count the rest than to average two die rolls together.
5d-minmax seems a bit unintuitive to explain but really easy to do in play and absolutely does help push it into the center.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #36
RyanW

Quote:
5d-minmax seems a bit unintuitive to explain but really easy to do in play and absolutely does help push it into the center.
When I was trying to find a good model, 5d6:drop highest and lowest was one I tried. It has a very small effect.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #37
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
When I was trying to find a good model, 5d6:drop highest and lowest was one I tried. It has a very small effect.
I ran the numbers after I posted this and, you're right, it is a very minor shift. 7d: drop two highest and two lowest has a more substantial effect, but begins to be more complex since you're rolling a lot more dice at that point.

4d or 5d dropping either highest or lowest has a very noticeable effect of shifting the results up or down, as desired; it's just not the desired result in this discussion.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #38
kirbwarrior

One thought someone came up with a few years ago is you can't choose to use the random hit location table. Either you are aiming somewhere (assumed torso for -0) or you're in a situation where you can't choose and thus use random hit location. Not sure how realistic it is, but it does avoid things like randomly punching feet.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #39
Anthony

Quote:
One thought someone came up with a few years ago is you can't choose to use the random hit location table. Either you are aiming somewhere (assumed torso for -0) or you're in a situation where you can't choose and thus use random hit location. Not sure how realistic it is, but it does avoid things like randomly punching feet.
In reality, there's a tendency to attack an opponent where they leave an opening, and that is reasonably implemented as random or semi-random hit location.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #40
Boge

It's kind of a good thing too as most of our characters are probably right handed as are most of us in real life. This means you're less likely to get your main hand or arm crippled. I also like the comments about you being right handed and more likely hitting your opponents left side.

Now...what do we do about my friend who always plays a left handed character?...hmmm...maybe I'll mention this to our GM and we'll just flip sides for him.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hit location table, left arm, left leg, right arm, right leg