Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #121
Adversary

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Does Killer Croc have any enhanced senses? I think he has dialogue in the Arkham Asylum video game about having Batman's scent and therefor being able to track him. Also, he lives mostly in the sewers when free, as you say, and being of non-human appearance probably moves around on the surface at night if at all. Seems like he would have some night vision, or possibly infravision (which some snakes have if I am not mistaken).

He also seems like a good candidate for Nictating Membrane, Scales (perk--doesn't add much but fits), and perhaps Limited Camouflage (swamp). Also, I can't find it right now but there's an ability called Iron Stomach or somesuch. If he's living in the sewers living mostly off things like raw rat and human, he might need something like that to stay healthy.

Ooh, and at St 25 Dex 12, Power Grappling would be handy.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #122
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Does Killer Croc have any enhanced senses? I think he has dialogue in the Arkham Asylum video game about having Batman's scent and therefor being able to track him. Also, he lives mostly in the sewers when free, as you say, and being of non-human appearance probably moves around on the surface at night if at all. Seems like he would have some night vision, or possibly infravision (which some snakes have if I am not mistaken).

He also seems like a good candidate for Nictating Membrane, Scales (perk--doesn't add much but fits), and perhaps Limited Camouflage (swamp). Also, I can't find it right now but there's an ability called Iron Stomach or somesuch. If he's living in the sewers living mostly off things like raw rat and human, he might need something like that to stay healthy.

Ooh, and at St 25 Dex 12, Power Grappling would be handy.
Good suggestions, after perusing Wikipedia for information on crocodile senses, night vision and discriminatory smell both seem appropriate.

Iron Stomach is a limitation on Doesn't Eat, and yes, it's a pretty good fit for Croc.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #123
Otaku

Okay, I'm going to start with what looks like a nitpick turning into a tangent, but bear with me, I'm going somewhere with it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Villain: Killer Croc
Waylon Jones was born with a rare medical condition that causes him to regress towards an earlier evolutionary state.
Gotta be honest; I was never a fan of this origin and thought it had been abandoned in favor of him just being a straight up metahuman. *double checks* Okay so they decided to combine the two; I'd just drop the "rare medical condition". What can I say; growing up a fan of Dinoriders and later Beast Wars I now am forced to accept so many cool characters... probably are horribly inaccurate.

The thing is, that might be going totally against the point of the thread; so what I'm really asking is how forthcoming should we be with suggested changes "just because"? In the above, this may be a total non-issue for you (I doubt there will be any surprise changes to humanity's branch of the evolutionary tree) though there is a hint of "keep it super simple" at the base of things; when being a straight-up metahuman will do, why add in another angle that could really backfire/complicate things. For example, if its a rare disease does that mean a super healing power could "cure" Killer Croc of some or even all of his powers? On the other hand if you consider this essential to the character (I don't, but I'm not exactly the most knowledge of otaku in this area), then such a suggestion at all is asinine, akin to "Hey, why not have Batman's parents have survived?" =P
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #124
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Gotta be honest; I was never a fan of this origin and thought it had been abandoned in favor of him just being a straight up metahuman. *double checks* Okay so they decided to combine the two; I'd just drop the "rare medical condition".
I'd be fine with making him meta-human--but there are two things that distinguish it from the Super (Meta-Gene power source I've written up:
1. It gets worse over time.
2. He can't really have his powers taken away by a Dampening Field or some such.

If I can keep those two things, I have no problem tweaking the origin. But, can I ask why it bothers you particularly? Is it just that Crocodilians aren't really a direct evolutionary ancestor to mammals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
The thing is, that might be going totally against the point of the thread; so what I'm really asking is how forthcoming should we be with suggested changes "just because"?
I'm happy to hear all of your thoughts--I've gotten a lot of help on these characters already from you guys.

I only ask that people don't continue harping on an idea I've made a final decision on and that everyone takes, "nope I'm not doing it that way" as an answer.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #125
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'd be fine with making him meta-human--but there are two things that distinguish it from the Super (Meta-Gene power source I've written up:
1. It gets worse over time.
2. He can't really have his powers taken away by a Dampening Field or some such.

To my non-comic brain, it sounds like he's just a unique form of mutant immune to dampening fields. Especially if his "illness" is genetic.
I can't see even in-setting people caring about the difference.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #126
aesir23

Okay, I've adjusted Croc according to your comments.

He now has discriminatory smell, night vision, and nictitating membrane. His origin story has been slightly altered to indicate an activated meta-gene.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #127
aesir23

Villain: Scarecrow
Alias: Jonathan Crane
Allies and Affiliations: Villains of Gotham City*

Jonathan Crane never knew his father, and his mentally ill mother abandoned him at a young age. Left in the care of his grandmother, a cruel religious fanatic, Crane faced regular abuse.

His abuse didn't stop at his grandmother's doorstep either, due to his spindly frame the other children bullied him mercilessly. And so, having been terrified everyday of his childhood, Jonathan Crane became obsessed with fear.

He studied to become a clinical psychiatrist focusing on fear and phobias, and, thanks to a genius intellect, soon rose to the top of his profession. But it soon became clear to everyone he worked with that Jonathan Crane was more interested in causing fear than treating it, and he was fired from numerous jobs at research hospitals and universities for unethical experiments.

He was underemployed as a staff counselor at Arkham when he began to notice the terror many of the inmates felt towards the costumed crime-fighter, Batman. This led to Crane's epiphany about how he could continue to pursue his passion--in a terrifying costume, with the right gadgets, the whole world would be his laboratory.

Scarecrow makes extensive use of his own invention: The Fear Toxin, a gas which causes anyone who breathes it to suffer from hallucinations about their greatest fear. Scarecrow's own mask includes a built-in gasmask to protect him from this effect.

Scarecrow's experiments have left him with almost no ability to feel fear, except from the one man who truly frightens him: Batman. He craves this sensation and so intentionally seeks out confrontations with the dark knight.

Scarecrow is not physically imposing, and tends to rely on his fear toxin in most confrontations. However, he has created a martial art of his own out of moves taken from White Crane Kung Fu and various dance movements which he calls "Violent Dancing". This style focuses on unpredictability and taking advantage of Crane's lanky frame.

*Note that, because he's motivated primarily by spreading fear and chaos, Scarecrow is more willing than most to team up with other villains.

Quote:
Name: Scarecrow AKA: Jonathan Crane

Attributes [180]
ST 11 [10]
DX 13 [60]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11
Will 15
Per 15
FP 11

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Languages: English (Native) [0]; Latin (Accented) [4].

Advantages [353]
Affliction (Terrifying Hallucinations) (5) (Area Effect (16 yd); Gadget/Breakable: DR 3-5; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed; Hallucinating; Respiratory Agent) [180]
Ally (Goons) (25% of starting points) (9 or less; Group Size (6-10)) [6]
Fearlessness (3) [6]
Flexibility [5]
Gadgeteer [25]
Healer (3) [30]
Signature Gear (Gasmask (Built into Scarecrow Hood)) (1) [1]
Terror ((Fear Toxin)) (Will-5) (Gadget/Breakable: DR 3-5; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed; Link (Powers must be used together); Respiratory Agent) [96]

Perks [3]
Brave [1]
Style Familiarity (Pak Hok) [1]
Style Familiarity (Violent Dancing) [1]

Disadvantages [-135]
Curious (12 or less) [-5]
Enemy (Batman) (More powerful than the PC) (9 or less) [-20]
Enemy (GCPD) (A large group (21-1,000 people)) (9 or less) [-30]
Greed (12 or less) [-15]
Mania (Fear) (12 or less) [-5]
Megalomania [-10]
Nightmares (12 or less) [-5]
Obsession (Understand all aspects of the human fear response) (Long-Term Goal) (12 or less) [-10]
Sadism (Prefers Psychological Pain to Physical Pain) (12 or less) [-15]
Skinny [-5]
Social Stigma (Criminally Insane) (-3) [-15]

Quirks [-5]
Imaginative [-1]
Loves "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". [-1]
Phobia of Batman [-1]
Proud [-1]
Seeks conflict with Batman so he can feel Fear. [-1]

Skills [110]
Acrobatics DX/H - DX+1 14 [8]
Acting IQ/A - IQ-1 14 [1]
Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ-3 12 [1]
Body Language (Human) Per/A - Per+1 16 [4]
Chemistry/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-1 14 [2]
Connoisseur (Dance) IQ/A - IQ-1 14 [1]
Connoisseur (Literature) IQ/A - IQ-1 14 [1]
Dancing DX/A - DX+1 14 [4]
Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+2 17 [3]
includes: +3 from 'Healer'
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Medical) IQ/A - IQ-1 14 [1]
Feint (Karate) Tech/H - 18 [4]
Intimidation Will/A - Will+3 18 [12]
Karate DX/H - DX+2 15 [12]
Knife DX/E - DX+1 14 [2]
Knot-Tying DX/E - DX+1 14 [2]
Leadership IQ/A - IQ-1 14 [1]
Pharmacy/TL8 (Synthetic) IQ/H - IQ+3 18 [4]
Philosophy (Buddhism) IQ/H - IQ-2 13 [1]
Physician/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [1]
Physiology/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+2 17 [2]
Poisons/TL8 IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [8]
Psychology (Optional Specialty: Fears and Phobias) IQ/A - IQ+5 20 [8]
Research/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+1 16 [4]
Spinning Punch (Karate) Tech/H - 15 [3]
Stealth DX/A - DX+1 14 [4]
Surgery/TL8 (Human) IQ/VH - IQ+1 16 [2]
Sweep (Karate) Tech/H - 14 [3]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ-2 13 [1]
Throwing DX/A - DX+1 14 [4]
Traps/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+1 16 [4]
Wrestling DX/A - DX+0 13 [2]

Stats [180] Ads [354] Disads [-135] Quirks [-5] Skills [110] = Total [506]
Quote:
New Martial Arts Style:
Violent Dancing

This is the unique martial art Jonathan Crane invented. It emphasizes erratic, unpredictable movements. To date, he hasn't taught this martial art to anyone, but if he did, it would have the stats below:

Skills: Acrobatics, Dancing, Karate, Wrestling
Techniques: Feint (Karate), Spinning Punch (Karate), Sweep (Karate)
Perks: Style Adaptation (Pak Hok), Technique Adaptation (Feint)

Last edited by aesir23; 02-16-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #128
aesir23

Villain: Mr. Freeze
Alias: Victor Fries

Victor Fries was already the world's leading scientist in the fields of cryonics and cryogenics when his wife Nora came down with a terminal illness.

Knowing he would need significant resources to save his wife, Fries quit his job at a top university and took a job with a major corporation, Gothcorp. With access to a state of the art lab and a massive research budget, Fries was able to make great strides in mere months. However, Nora continued to decline--far too fast for any cure to be perfected.

Desperate to save her life, Fries used company equipment to put Nora into cryonic stasis so that she could be revived when there's a cure. When his Employer, Ferris Boyle, discovered this, he immediately fired Fries for misappropriation of company resources and attempted to shut down the machine that was keeping the Nora frozen. In the ensuing fight, Fries was submersed in a vat of cryogenic chemicals, activating his meta-gene.

Somehow, he survived and escaped, taking Nora with him. But he was changed forever, both physically and mentally. Mr. Freeze was born. He can only survive at sub-freezing temperatures, and no longer experiences the range of emotions he once did.

Nevertheless, he's still obsessed with saving Nora, whom he thinks can redeem him no matter what evil he commits in her name.

He wears a suit of powered armor that keeps his temperature at below freezing at all times and he uses a specially designed freeze ray. He will do anything to avenge himself on Gothcorp and to save his beloved Nora.

Whenever Mr. Freeze is in Arkham, Bruce Wayne keeps Nora Fries preserved at his own expense as an act of compassion.

Quote:
Name: Mr. Freeze AKA: Victor Fries

Attributes [260]
ST 26 [60] (ST includes +10 from 'Extra ST (Power Armor)')
DX 12 [40]
IQ 16 [120]
HT 14 [40]

HP 26
Will 16
Per 16
FP 14

Basic Lift 135
Damage 2d+2/5d

Basic Speed 6.5
Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages: English (Native) [0]; German (Accented) [4]; Greek (Accented) [4]; Latin (Accented) [4].

Advantages [393]
Ally (Goons in Parkas) (25% of starting points) (12 or less; Group Size (6-10); Minion) [18]
Gadgeteer [25]
Natural Scientist (2) [20]

Freeze Gun
Binding (Freeze Gun) (25) (Engulfing; Gadget/Breakable: DR 6-15; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST; Jet; Link (Fatigue Attack) (Powers must be used together); Persistent; Suffocating; Superscience; Underwater) [118]
Fatigue Attack (Freeze Gun) (1) (Cyclic (10 second interval) (5 cycles); Freezing Hazard; Escaping from Binding ends Cycles.; Gadget/Breakable: DR 6-15; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST; Jet; Link (Binding) (Powers must be used together); Persistent; Symptom: Disadvantage (Fragile (Brittle) at 2/3 HP.) (+15)) [31]

Power Armor
Damage Resistance (16) (Can't Wear Armor; Gadget/Breakable: DR 16-25; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size 0 or more; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed) [16]
Doesn't Breathe (Gadget/Breakable: DR 16-25; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size 0 or more; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed; Oxygen Storage (x300)) [9]
Extra ST (Power Armor) (10) (Affects ST; Gadget/Breakable: DR 16-25; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size 0 or more; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed) [55]
Sealed (Power Armor) (Gadget/Breakable: DR 16-25; Gadget/Breakable: Object is complex machine; Gadget/Breakable: Size 0 or more; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed) [9]

Unique Physiology:
Resistant (Metabolic Hazards) (Very Common) (Immunity) [30]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Resistant (Metabolic Hazards) (Very Common) (Immunity) [30]
Temperature Tolerance (Comfort Zone is between +32 and -163 degrees) (10) [10]
Unaging [15]
Unfazeable [15]

Disadvantages [-127]
Enemy (Batman) (More powerful than the PC) (9 or less) [-20]
Enemy (Law Enforcement) (medium-sized group, some formidable or super-human) (9 or less) [-30]
Killjoy [-15]
Low Empathy [-20]
Obsession (Find a cure for his wife and avenge himself on those responsible for her condition) (Long-Term Goal) (12 or less) [-10]
Sadism (12 or less) [-15]
Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]
Weakness (Temperatures Above Freezing) (1d per 5 minutes) (Mitigator: vulnerable (Powered Armor); Very Common) [-12]

Quirks [-1]
Prefers to steal diamonds over other forms of wealth [-1]

Skills [78]
Armoury/TL8 (Battlesuits) IQ/A - IQ-1 15 [1]
Armoury/TL8 (superscience beam weapons) IQ/A - IQ-1 15 [1]
Battlesuit/TL8 DX/A - DX+2 14 [8]
Bioengineering/TL8 (Cloning) IQ/H - IQ-2 14 [1]
Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ+1 17 [4]
includes: +2 from 'Natural Scientist'
Brawling DX/E - DX+2 14 [4]
Chemistry/TL8 IQ/H - IQ+2 18 [4]
Computer Programming/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 14 [1]
Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+0 16 [4]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Scientific) IQ/A - IQ-1 15 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Scientific) IQ/A - IQ-1 15 [1]
Engineer/TL8 (Cryonics) IQ/H - IQ-2 14 [1]
Expert Skill (Cryonics) IQ/H - IQ+4 20 [20]
Guns/TL8 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+0 12 [1]
Guns/TL8 (Submachine Gun) DX/E - DX+0 12 [1]
Innate Attack (Freeze Gun) DX/E - DX+2 14 [4]
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ+0 16 [1]
Pharmacy/TL8 (Synthetic) IQ/H - IQ-2 14 [1]
Physician/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+0 16 [4]
Physics/TL8 IQ/VH - IQ-1 15 [1]
Physiology/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ+2 18 [4]
Weird Science IQ/VH - IQ-2 14 [2]
Wrestling DX/A - DX+2 14 [8]

Stats [260] Ads [393] Disads [-127] Quirks [-1] Skills [78] = Total [603]
Old 03-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #129
aesir23

I think that's the last of the Gotham-Based Batman Villains I'm going to make for a while. I'm looking forward to moving on to Ra's Al Ghul, his daughter Talia, and the rest of the notable members of the League of Assassins. After that I'll return to building heroes for a while.

However, if anyone has a request for a particular Bat-Villain they'd like to see, let me know. Maybe you can pique my interest.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #130
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Villain: Mr. Freeze
Alias: Victor Fries
A minor note, but on Batman:TAS Mr Freeze is voiced by the wonderful Michael Ansara and should be given Voice to reflect this.

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen