Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-09-2023, 05:40 AM   #1
shazz

Default Reflex sight + magnifier

Suppose you use this combo containing a red dot sight and 4x magnifier.
1. What do you get? Both +1 skill and +2 acc? Something else?
2. What do you get if you try aiming for 0 or 1 seconds without the magnifier flipped aside?
shazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:12 AM   #2
Juca

Default Re: Reflex sight + magnifier

Having used one of these in real life I'm inclined to think that it would give you +1 to skill OR +2 to acc, not both as, when using it with the magnification on you lose a little of your "background awareness" that using a non-magnified reflex sight gives you.
Maybe it is just me, but I can't use this "sights combo" that well with both eyes open.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #3
Varyon

I'd say the weapon functions simply as having a 4x scope when the magnifier is in play; the point of the red dot sight is that you can flip the magnifier to hang off to the side (note the hinge) without having to use the iron sights. In GURP terms, you can use a Ready to switch between the weapon having a Reflex Sight (+1 to Guns) and a x4 scope (+2 Acc, must Aim for at least 2 seconds; note you can also use the scope to get up to a +4 to Vision, provided you are focusing on a specific target). A lenient GM might let a skilled shooter flip the magnifier in-line as part of an Aim maneuver, although I'd probably just have that be covered by the Lightning Fingers Perk instead.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:59 AM   #4
shazz

Thanks. One last question: when using the red dot with the magnifier, do you ger red-dot darkness negation of -3, optics darkness negation of -1 or something else?
shazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazz View Post
Thanks. One last question: when using the red dot with the magnifier, do you ger red-dot darkness negation of -3, optics darkness negation of -1 or something else?
My guess would be it eliminates up to -3 in darkness penalties, although I'm honestly not sure how realistic that is for collimating/reflex sights to start with - sure, improved ability to see your aimpoint helps, but it doesn't seem like it would make targets any easier to see (that is, it seems like the same up to -1 as improved visibility sights should be in play for collimating/reflex).
Old 04-09-2023, 12:49 PM   #6
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
My guess would be it eliminates up to -3 in darkness penalties, although I'm honestly not sure how realistic that is for collimating/reflex sights to start with - sure, improved ability to see your aimpoint helps, but it doesn't seem like it would make targets any easier to see (that is, it seems like the same up to -1 as improved visibility sights should be in play for collimating/reflex).
It's a pretty big deal. Getting proper sight picture in the dark is hard. So even if I see my target, I may not have my sights aligned. That's bad, and i'm not gonna hit where i'm "aiming".
Old 04-09-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
It's a pretty big deal. Getting proper sight picture in the dark is hard. So even if I see my target, I may not have my sights aligned. That's bad, and i'm not gonna hit where i'm "aiming".
Sure, but shouldn't Improved Visibility Sights (some of which HT notes use tritium to glow in the dark) cover that? Those only negate -1 in darkness penalties.