Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #81
Justin_Bedard

Default Re: Dead Airway [OC]

Alright, Rewind time. It wasn't proper to take over your character. DELETION!
But seriously, it wasn't at that level? meh.
Justin_Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #82
the_matrix_walker

I didn't think so...

Also, from a maneuver perspective, you had Butch Attack, then Glenn did a "Change Posture" action, followed by a "Attack:Grapple" then a "Attack:Takedown", then a "Attack:Pin", and finally a "Attack:Punch", seemingly with no response from Butch during those 5 actions.

An NPC deserves that kind of abuse, but not a PC on autopilot, IMHO ;)
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #83
Justin_Bedard

I'm a terrible GM, aren't I... I only thought of three of those actions, and only one was contested...

Then again, it's only my second campaign, and I had another GM with me the other time...
Oh, and since he's back, Glenn's been promoted to Autopilot PC.
Captain Mallory, on the other hand is/will be excessively mortal. BE CAREFUL not to leave him defenseless or surrounded.
Gordy White was mentioned! he's still on NPC settings, but might be picked up if we need another voice in the game (especially if someone gets slaughtered)

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 02-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #84
the_matrix_walker

"Terrible?" Oh no! nono.

You have allot of imagination! You clearly enjoy working on the details of your games and characters. That's the most important part!

Experience is the best teacher. As long as you continue to be flexible and fix the little mistakes (that we all make), it'll will only make you a better GM later.

We're all playing the game though, and this game is advancing much more quickly than a typical play by post. We would do well to slow it down, so that the folks who can only post a couple of times per day (or Kromm forbid, per week) to have more to say about what their character is doing. I think some of the players who are on autopilot 90% of the time are going to drop out, rather than want to read 4 or 5 pages of posts just to get back up to speed... And it certainly wouldn't help me want to stay in the game if I read up to the part where my character's face was crushed in for doing something stupid.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 02-13-2014 at 08:10 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #85
Justin_Bedard

yeah, I know the game's going either insanely fast, or at a rate where someone with a job/family couldn't keep up. One of the pros of being a university student I guess. As for the story, Hell, I used the thing with Glenn leaving to write a 1000 word side-quest! it ended differently, but close to what I had planned/ how the campaign went...

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 02-13-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #86
cynical13

I hate to say it, but my character has now said and done things differently from how I would have played him. I don't have the time to go through 4-5 pages of posts to try and catch up. I also didn't realize this would be a combat heavy game. I was thinking more about the original Night of the Living Dead in which it was less combat and more survival. I really don't feel like I fit the tone or the pacing.

I hope that doesn't sound like sour grapes. I enjoyed the concept and starting things off, but this really isn't what I expected.
cynical13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #87
Justin_Bedard

Your character isn't bad at all! in fact, with a few tweaks to his personality, He's been changed from mild mannered professor to Chemistry mastermind!...

is what I would say if it weren't for the fact that it's your character, not mine to toy... actually it is partly my character to toy with, just not control.

A couple things your character can adopt:
-Throwing them explosive vials! those things pack a HUGE punch!
-Construct your character/ write up side notes. Example: the part where Charles talked to sierra. I had NO idea how to play up Henry. Whenever you did post, it had little emotional parts, making him slightly shallow as a character.
-Rebuild! There's several unexplored parts of the airport still. why not make a bad-ass chemist/gunner that takes over riddle when he dies?
-Secret! If riddle seems too boring/ not combat heavy enough, I will allow for a -10 point secret for skill points in a weapon or better base skills.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #88
Skullcrusher

I love an enthusiastic GM, but it seems you are telling your own story and advancing the game way past the point anyone who hasn't been on for a while and misrepresenting some of the characters. I see gaming as collaborative story telling. You are not a terrible GM. You are just a GM who has more time on his hands than his players. If you just slow down a bit and let everyone catch up and then reduce the amount of posts to a tolerable level I think this could be a enjoyable game. As far as cynical's character, I think he can be a useful character. Just hand out xps for us to improve/modify our characters. I think our characters ahve done enough to deserve some xps.

Alternatively, you could allow everyone to retool their characters slightly to keep up. We do that in my in person group. After the first session we allow for changes to characters in case they are not to our liking.

Don't give up just adapt.

My 2 cents.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #89
Justin_Bedard

I'd be more than happy for everyone to rebuild their characters at the end of this chapter.

On a side note: which do you prefer?
1) Survival chapter: players run around completing a set of goals to stop something horrible from happening.
2) Horror chapter: Everyone dies at the end from violent gory mortality.
3) Action chapter: The heroes arrive, kick ass, and go on their merry way.
4) Surprise chapter: It's all been a dream, your all in a coma, etc.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #90
FrumpyAndy

Hey folks, really sorry for this, but a couple days ago, someone at my work quit. As a result, I'm way busier there, and things have also been getting busier at home, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of the game. I hope you understand that I'd continue if I was able to, but I just no longer have the time.
FrumpyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, horror, pbp, zombies