Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
rrakanychan

Default Flaming Sword

Okey, first post. Always a fun time.. anyhoo.

I got a player who wants to be able to set his sword on fire. I know how to make an Attack that's Burning and Melee. But have no idea how to combine it with his sword. Is it a limit of some sort. Accessibility (only with a successful Melee Attack). I would prefer it to just be able to go on top of any metal sword he may be using, thus not just stacking Attack (Burning/Cutting). Could we make it a minute long thing. The sword is just on fire for a minute once activated and auto applies the damage if the sword hits?

I've been reading and rereading Advantages and enhancements and limitations and stuff, but this one has stumped me.
rrakanychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: Flaming Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrakanychan View Post
Okey, first post. Always a fun time.. anyhoo.

I got a player who wants to be able to set his sword on fire. I know how to make an Attack that's Burning and Melee. But have no idea how to combine it with his sword. Is it a limit of some sort. Accessibility (only with a successful Melee Attack). I would prefer it to just be able to go on top of any metal sword he may be using, thus not just stacking Attack (Burning/Cutting). Could we make it a minute long thing. The sword is just on fire for a minute once activated and auto applies the damage if the sword hits?

I've been reading and rereading Advantages and enhancements and limitations and stuff, but this one has stumped me.

Power Ups: Imbuements is EXACTLY the PDF that you want. Imbuement is a new advantage that works similar to Magery, that allow you to buy skills that modify your weapon.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
rrakanychan

Sadly, that is not a book at my disposal. To be honest, I only have the Basic Set. I was hoping there was a way to do it there...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Mateus

Quote:
Sadly, that is not a book at my disposal. To be honest, I only have the Basic Set. I was hoping there was a way to do it there...
There is BUT you will have a LOT of work to make it functioning. Construct it using the Gagets limitations on page 116-117. That and some of Melee, Burning Damage and Requires Skill rool will probably do the trick as you want. I also think that GURPS Powers have some "sword of heavens" sttated out (but as you say that you dont have it, it does not help you).
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
rrakanychan

Okey. Thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on Imbuement (At least a PDF until I can buy the book.) I have a feeling that'll do what we want better than making a sword with the power in it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Mateus

Quote:
Okey. Thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on Imbuement (At least a PDF until I can buy the book.) I have a feeling that'll do what we want better than making a sword with the power in it.
There is no dead-tree book. Imbuements is a PDF only publication and this only US$4,99: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0128.

Edit: Pyramid #3/13 have new Imbuemets (mainly defensive)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
rrakanychan

Oh.. well. OKey. lol. Then I'll acquire the PDF.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Brandy

I won't dissuade you from buying the pdf. I have it, and there are lots of people who really like the imbuements system.

However, here are some other options:

The question you raised has come up before. In fact, it is part of the FAQ.
It has also come up on the forums. My take is that there is not a perfect way to do it with the rules as written in basic. What is needed (IMO) is a "Weapon Aura" enhancement, that functions like Aura, but only around a weapon. The innate attack would be delivered with a normal attack but would apply separately to defenses and I would consider the weapon to have the benefits of "destructive parry" (this is defined in GURPS Powers, in essence, the weapon damages anything that it parries).

By the way, GURPS Powers is an awesome book if you've got an itch to spend money. :)

I think that a Weapon Aura is worth a little less than Aura as written, but they are very close in utility. Aura affects everyone that you touch or touches you; Weapon Aura only those whose attacks you parry. Aura has no range; Weapon Aura has the range and reach of your weapon.

I would call it Weapon Aura, +60% if applied to a reach 1 or 2 weapon. (A more sophisticated look at this would use different values based on the reach of the weapon, but that's probably not necessary unless you start applying it to a whip or something of the sort.)

The nice benefit of using a modified Aura advantage, is that now with either the Costs FP limitation or Limited Uses you get a full minute per activation, which is what you wanted.

That's a homebrew solution, so maybe not exactly what you wanted, but it is simple and meets the need. I hope that it is helpful.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
There is no dead-tree book. Imbuements is a PDF only publication and this only US$4,99: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0128.

Edit: Pyramid #3/13 have new Imbuemets (mainly defensive)
No, that's Pyramid #3/4: Magic on the battlefield, notablly the Perfect Defense article. Pyramid #1/13: Thaumatology has 3 new Imbuement Skills, and a template for an Imbuement using delver for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. Oh, and it draws heavily from Perfect Defense, so while I like the recognition, I wuld doing everyone a disservice if I didn't send them first to Pyramid #3/4: Magic on the battlefield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I would call it Weapon Aura, +60% if applied to a reach 1 or 2 weapon. (A more sophisticated look at this would use different values based on the reach of the weapon, but that's probably not necessary unless you start applying it to a whip or something of the sort.)

The nice benefit of using a modified Aura advantage, is that now with either the Costs FP limitation or Limited Uses you get a full minute per activation, which is what you wanted.

That's a homebrew solution, so maybe not exactly what you wanted, but it is simple and meets the need. I hope that it is helpful.
There is an official option for this, present at the end of GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, follow-up (Any weapon or unarmed attack). Now, it does not work if they actually touch the weapon instead of being struck by it, but given the hefty price, I would agree that it's a special effect, or at most a +5-+10% modifier,
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Alternatively the character could cast Flaming Weapon or use an weapon enchanted with the spell. Alternate alternatively the character could use almost any of the other magic systems to achieve the same effect (bind a fire spirit into a weapon with the Fetish ritual, use Create-Fire syntactic magic, use a Realm that commands energy or fire, and so on).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbuements, magic items