Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #11
Coinage

Default Re: Unknowingly Possessed?

Thanks for everyone's responses.

For the "Mundanity" power I mentioned above, I would use some actual variation of Mundanity from IOU. Here is what I have developed.

-Mundanity Lvl 3 [15]

ENHANCEMENTS
-Cosmic: Does NOT require the Mundane Background disadvantage (p. 22) and get no points for it. [+50% = +15] (B103; PU4, p. 5)
-Cosmic, Godlike [+300% = +45] (PU4, p. 8)

LIMITATIONS
-Divine [-10% = -1.5] (P26)
-Nuisance: “the target can choose to ignore this effect in exchange for suffering 1D6 Corrosive damage.” [-5% = -0.75] (P25)
-Unreliable, Activation Number 5 [-80% = -12] (B116)

The higher the Activation Number for Unreliable (B116), the less the discount.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
RedMattis

Is this an NPC? If so you don't really have to build the ability, you could describe the game mechanics and leave it at that.

If it is for a PC then I wouldn't use the IOU trait Mundanity. Like a lot of 3rd Edition stuff (especially from comedy books!) it isn't really balanced. You could look at Neutralize like some other posters said, but it will get extremely expensive.

Expensive if fair though. The ability basically means your character could follow SWAT-like squad into a huge warehouse full of werewolf and find it full of now fairly helpless and confused men and women stumbling around in fursuits (if they fail to resist his ability).

You're probably looking at something like:

Nigh-Irresistible Mundanity [428 points]
Neutralize (Cosmic: Any Source, +300%; Aura, +80%; Area of Effect 64 yards, +300%; Cosmic: Effects non-source powers*, +50%, Reliable** 5, +25%)

* (Neutralize can't normally affect 'wild' advantages such as someone simply being a Dragon. The ability to f.ex. turn them temporarily into an Elephant in a weird suit is _not_ normally covered by Neutralize. Arguably this should be yet another power...)

** (Without this you can expect about half of your enemies to resist getting depowered. Probably you want twice this if you want it to be reliable.)

Probably you don't want Mundanity to be so expensive though. If all the players are fine with one guy having an always-pressed "NO"-button for anything his demon deems 'not-mundane' you could just hand-wave it. Perhaps in return for everyone else having awesome strange powers while the Mundane player is much more ordinary otherwise. If you go with this option I'd simply Write "Mundanity" on his sheet and have it do whatever you want it to since you're basically skipping the rules for that power anyway. ...which is of course 100% fine! We're playing GURPS to have fun together. The rules are just a framework to lean on when needed. :)
Old 10-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #13
Coinage

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I found your write-up very interesting. I think there was a thread I started earlier called "4th edition Mundanity" (Link here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169722), specifically on comment #19 (Link here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=169722&page=2). There was a similar write-up for a 4th-edition version of Mundanity.

Here is my own version of a 4th edition Mundanity:

Affliction, , “a ranged attack with 1/2D 10, Max 100, Acc 3, RoF 1, Shots N/A, and Recoil 1,” 1 [10 / 1 lvl = 10] (B36)
- Advantage: Shapeshifting, Alternate Form, Racial Template: Mundane Human “only have mundane skills and equipment. Magic spells, cinematic skills, etc. are off-limits.” [“worth no more than your basic template” = 15] (B83)
- Enhancements
-- Absorptive Change, Extra-Heavy [+25% = 3.75] (P75)
-- No Signature, “utterly undetectable by normal means”, [+20% = +4] (B106)
-- Once On, Stays On [+50% = +7.5] (P75)
-- Reduced Time 7, “less than a second” [+140% = +21] (B108)
- Limitations
-- Terminal Condition, “Not being observed by User of Mundanity” [-20% = –2] (B112)
-- Trigger, “Observation by User of Mundanity” [-20% x 1.5 = –3 x 1.5 = –4.5] (B115)
-- Uncontrollable [-30% = –4.5] (B116)
- Afflicted Advantage Total: [40.25 = 41, +10% per point advantage is worth = 410% = +41]
Base Advantage Total: [50.25 = 51]

Enhancements
- Area Effect [+20% = +10.2] (B102)
- Based on Will [+20% = +10.2] (B102)
- Cosmic [+300% = 30] (PU4, p. 8)
- Malediction, Long-Distance Modifiers [+200% = +100.5] (B106)
- Reduced Time 7, “less than a second” [+140% = +71.4] (B108)
- World-Spanning, “your ability also works in your current realm”, “this allows the ability to work through cameras and other forms of indirect observation.” [+100% = 51] (PU4, p. 18)
Enhancement Total: [+273.3]

Limitations
- Accessibility, Superhuman targets only, [-20% = -10.2] (B110)
- Emanation [-20% = -10.2] (B112)
- Nuisance: “the target can choose to ignore this effect in exchange for suffering 1D3 Corrosive damage.” [-5% = -2.5] (P25)
- Sense-Based, Reversed. This ability only affects objects that can be sensed. Once the object is becomes unobservable by any mundane senses, then the ability is over. This can be accomplished by either leaving the area or moving beyond sight (Humans cannot cannot see past the horizon) or by preventing the observer from being able to observe (via knocking out or killing). The ability still works if seen through cameras or other indirect means.” [-40% = -20.4] (P105; PK “Warp - Line of Sight only - #12.” 2011)
Limitations Total: [-43.3]

Sum Total: [281]

In my version, I wanted to give the players or character the choice of suffering damage to ignore. The "D3" works like this:
Roll 1-2, suffer 1 damage. Roll 3-4, suffer 2 damage. Roll 5-6, suffer 3 damage.

Last edited by Coinage; 10-11-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
However, I am not creating a Wendigo. I think that my idea would be better represented as some sort of traditional demon, or Manifestation from Voodoo Wars.
Not saying to take all the parts of the Wendigo, it's just the only non-Pyramid example I know of where it appears to be the case that Possession does not necessitate unconsciousness by the victim (aside from Mind Swap)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Not saying to take all the parts of the Wendigo, it's just the only non-Pyramid example I know of where it appears to be the case that Possession does not necessitate unconsciousness by the victim (aside from Mind Swap)
Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up. So it is in Voodoo: The Shadow War? Then I will check it out.

By the way, do you happen to have the page number?

Last edited by Coinage; 10-14-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #16
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up. So it is in Voodoo: The Shadow War? Then I will check it out.

By the way, do you happen to have the page number?
The Wendigo in question is in GURPS Horror for 4E, on page 72 and a bit on 73.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #17
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
The Wendigo in question is in GURPS Horror for 4E, on page 72 and a bit on 73.
Ah, I see. The Loup-Garou variant of the Wendigo does have possession, wherein the victim receives a Delusion that they are a "Wolf", in the form of a Temporary Disadvantage (B115).

I think what everyone is suggesting is that my own "Demon of Mundanity" idea would be similar, accept the Temporary Disadvantage (B115) would be Delusion ("There is nothing extraordinary of supernatural"). That is a good idea.