Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Shostak

Default Wolves, Bears, etc. Multi-hex?

What do you folks think about the appropriate counter size for bears, wolves, and similar beasts? It seems to me that the average adult wolf should be two hexes long, and the adult bear at least two hexes when walking on all four legs (though, admittedly, they tend to fight standing on their hind legs). Should a large standing bear be a three-hexer?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Wolves, Bears, etc. Multi-hex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
...It seems to me that the average adult wolf should be two hexes long...
Hi SHOSTAK, here is what I found on the Dire Wolf (extinct), our biggest TFT wolf: The Dire Wolf stood just over 2 feet tall (between 25 to 30 inches) and weighed on average 110 pounds with a maximum weight of 150 pounds. The length of the Dire Wolf from head to tail was around five to six feet. So that would convert to a rough average of 1.75 meters in length, or averaging 1 1/3 hexes in length; so that's a real tough sell in my book; as it is only over 1 hex by a hair, and closer to one than two - IF my conversion estimates are correct.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-23-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Kirk

I think the way the game works with facing and engagement, etc. the original one hex sizing allows wolves, for example, the mobility they deserve.

Mulit-hex starts to involve how many characters it takes to engage, rotating, shifting onto figures, and on and on, which I think is better left to dragons, giants, and other creatures that get the advantages of being multi-hex as something inherent to their being, which I don't see for a 100 lb. wolf.

Last edited by Kirk; 05-23-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Shostak

Ach! I keep forgetting that TFT hexes are 1 1/3 meters, not 1.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
larsdangly

Given the official size of a hex, the hex-sizes of creatures in the game are about right.

What I would question (and experiment with) if I were in charge of this project is a small but impactful re-imagining of hex size and weapon reach, so that the game of movement and maneuver gets richer. If a hex were closer to 1 yard and a significant number of weapons had reach 2 or 3, then you would change up the game of movement, engagement, reach, etc. If you did that, then it would also be reasonable to make some of the bigger wild animals (like black bears) 2 hexes.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Ach! I keep forgetting that TFT hexes are 1 1/3 meters, not 1.
I thought that might be the case, as that often happens; AND having to convert from feet to meters, then into 1 1/3m hexes - that's why I said "IF my conversions are correct." It's too easy to make an error in these matters SHOSTAK.

Worry not, you are still brilliant, AND artistic ;-)

JK
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I think the way the game works with facing and engagement, etc. the original one hex sizing allows wolves, for example, the mobility the deserve.
Yes, well said KIRK; you hit the nail on the head, again,... again.

JK
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Rick_Smith

Hi Everyone, Shostak.
I left normal sized wolves & bears alone. But I had 3 hex polar bears and kodiaks. Cave bears were 4 hexes. Real life Dire Wolves were just a little bit bigger than real wolves, which I found disappointing. But in my TFT, Dire wolves were 2 hexes and Wargs were 3 and 4 hexes is size.

I think monstrously sized animals are fun.

I sometimes use a pack of regular wolves, but make the leader a 2 hex wolf to emphasize that it was bad ass.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
...Dire Wolves were just a little bit bigger than real wolves, which I found disappointing. But in my TFT, Dire wolves were 2 hexes and Wargs were 3 and 4 hexes is size. I think monstrously sized animals are fun. I sometimes use a pack of regular wolves, but make the leader a 2 hex wolf to emphasize that it was bad ass.
That's the ticket, right there. After all, it is a Fantasy Game; and a little literary license can really hit the mark for flavor, atmosphere, and color.

All the literary greats would agree with RICK, as they have all done this exact thing as well, and for the exact same reasons - without which we would have never had KING KONG

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-23-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Embolden for emphasis
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Everyone, Shostak.
I left normal sized wolves & bears alone. But I had 3 hex polar bears and kodiaks. Cave bears were 4 hexes. Real life Dire Wolves were just a little bit bigger than real wolves, which I found disappointing. But in my TFT, Dire wolves were 2 hexes and Wargs were 3 and 4 hexes is size.

I think monstrously sized animals are fun.

I sometimes use a pack of regular wolves, but make the leader a 2 hex wolf to emphasize that it was bad ass.

Warm regards, Rick.
I did this too. Rick is absolutely right -- it was FUN! And a lot more evocative that strictly going by the book. After all, it IS a fantasy game; not a "reality" game. (Oops, I see Jim beat me to it with that comment. Oh well, great minds, and all that...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, bears, beasts, hexes, wolves