Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default Girl Genius - Jägermonster Template?

Has anyone cooked up a Jägermonster (from Girl Genius) template I can crib? I'm looking to have a bunch of Jägers rifted in to help the party in my GURPS Rifts game (it's Rifts; stuff comes through all the time! SCIENCE!).

Doesn't have to be the official template from the probably-never-see-print GG book, but an approximation would be useful.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
Jasonft

Default Re: Girl Genius - Jägermonster Template?

I'm sure it's been done, but the point totals are going to turn scary. Several hundred year old biological construct killing machines are pretty expensive in GURPS terms.

An example: Being able to run at full speed with a horse held overhead by one hand. Admittedly the Jaeger in question was showing off, but still...

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...0#.V0rKp-TIUpk

I always wondered what you would need (other than a Cinematic universe) to pull that off in GURPS.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
I always wondered what you would need (other than a Cinematic universe) to pull that off in GURPS.
You spend an Impulse Point to temporarily ignore the rules.

Honestly every Jägermonster is a bit different, but for the 'horde' level Jäger, give them 16's in their physical stats (minimum), some levels of Hard To Kill*, and a natural weapon, whether that be claws, teeth, horns, or all three.

Presume they have an 18 in at least one combat skill, and probably 14 in Soldier.

A few points of DR (Tough Skin), like say 4, wouldn't be remiss.

* However many you think is necessary to ignore "failure on a crit", personally I allow that if HTK brings the HT roll to or above 18, but some people don't believe you can ever overcome a crit.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
I'm sure it's been done, but the point totals are going to turn scary. Several hundred year old biological construct killing machines are pretty expensive in GURPS terms.
Heh. It's a Rifts game with the party having mixed point totals; one D-Bee party member is 700 points. Jägers would fit in perfectly on Rifts Earth. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft
An example: Being able to run at full speed with a horse held overhead by one hand. Admittedly the Jaeger in question was showing off, but still...

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...0#.V0rKp-TIUpk

Well, a BL suitable to lift the horse and stay under Light Encumbrance would suffice. I could see it being done with Super ST.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Bruno

I'm tempted to give Jägermonsters Unkillable 1 and High Pain Threshold (or even Immune to Pain). Skip the hard-to-kill and go straight for the jugular, so to speak. There may also be Slow Regeneration (HP), and Very Fit or some kind of FP regeneration involved, which would fuel Super ST; the Jägerdraught is sort of a tamed version of raw Dyne water, as far as I can tell, and that certainly gives a big "energy" boost.

I don't know that they have lots of DR; 1-2 with Tough Skin, a respectable number of HP, and Unkillable is pretty fierce. Jägers get hurt - they just have fun getting hurt instead of woe and sorrow.

Sharp Teeth seems to be nearly universal; otherwise, they get some kind of random assortment of Claws, Strikers (horns), Fur (perk), Chameleon, or some other mutation. And naturally Unaging or at least a LOT of Extended Lifespan. The RIFTS setting is one where I'd expect random aging attacks/traps/whatever, so aging traits should be made relatively useful.

in Girl Genius-verse they don't have Unnatural Features or Supernatural features - everyone recognizes a Jäger unless they're in disguise (and even then...). So in GG, they probably even have a Social Stigma: Freak (or Social Regard: Feared, depending on the status of the Heterodynes).

Outside of the GG-verse, being modified humans they probably have a few levels of Unnatural Features (Skin Color, "Pointyness"...)

It's an interesting question if they have Unusual Metabolism. They only go to Mama Gitka to get repaired, or to the Heterodynes. They don't have Regrowth, that's for sure.

And it's been clearly established that at least one Jäger isn't Sterile.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Phantasm

First draft of a Jäger:
Code:
Generic Jägermonster
ST 20/110    HP 20  Speed 7.25
DX 14      Will 15   Move 7
IQ 10       Per 12
HT 15        FP 15     DR 2 (Tough Skin)

Punch (16): 2d+1 cr (or 2d+3 w/ blunt claws, or 2d+1 cut w/ sharp claws)
Kick (14): 2d+2 cr (or 2d+4 w/ blunt claws, or 2d+2 cut w/ sharp claws)
Bite (16): 2d+1 cut

Advantages: Discriminatory Smell High Pain Threshold; Regeneration (Slow; 
    2HP/12 hrs); Sharp Teeth; Unaging; Unkillable 1; Very Fit
Perks: Racial Gifts (Claws and/or Horns).
Disadvantages: Impulsiveness (9); On the Edge (6); Overconfidence (12); Sense 
    of Duty (Heterodynes)
Quirks: Cheerfully Violent; Really Nice Hat!; Wonky Accent
Skills: Brawling-16; choice of weapon at 18+; Soldier-12;
Thoughts?

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-29-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added Discriminatory Smell
Old 05-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
YMMV, I had always assumed that Oggie(?) became a family man before he took the Jagerdraught. Rereading the relevant parts there isn't any direct evidence either way, but being as he seems to be the only Jager with decendents despite the regard they are held in in Mechanicsburg I would be tempted to stick with my interpretation.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
No, it's clearly established that Oggie has descendants. That doesn't mean what you think it means, necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
YMMV, I had always assumed that Oggie(?) became a family man before he took the Jagerdraught. Rereading the relevant parts there isn't any direct evidence either way, but being as he seems to be the only Jager with decendents despite the regard they are held in in Mechanicsburg I would be tempted to stick with my interpretation.
This has always been my thoughts. He had family before become a Jäger, which begs the question, how bad were things that he'd leave his family to become Jäger? He clearly loves them.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Jasonft

You forgot enhanced senses on the template. Tracking Scent or whatever it is called at a minimum. Every last Jaeger has the ability to differentiate scent trails even if they don't know, or pretend they don't know, what they are tracking. Darn near impossible to sneak up on or sneak past these guys without a cinematic advantage.

This may only have been the Terrible Trio (noted as unusual for Jaegers), but clearly also the Generals can identify by scent.

It should be noted there is some difference between the Jaegers in the comic and the Jaegers in the books. In the books it is very strongly hinted the the Jaegers are all pretending to be stupid and clownish so that people downplay the danger of House Heterodyne. This helps keep any hidden heirs safe...
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
It should be noted there is some difference between the Jaegers in the comic and the Jaegers in the books.
The books change a number of things... not necessarily for the better.

Tags
girl genius