Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Powers] Use Extra Effort Without a Will Roll

Is there a fair / balanced value to be able to use Extra Effort without a Will roll (alternatively, we can describe it as automatically succeeding at the Will roll)? I mean, you'd still have to spend the FP, so it still comes with a cost.

A player suggested this as a concept for their character - they have been genetically modified so that the normal mental, emotional, and physiological controls that prevent someone from burning themselves out quickly when they need to exert themselves have been removed.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] Use Extra Effort Without a Will Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Is there a fair / balanced value to be able to use Extra Effort without a Will roll (alternatively, we can describe it as automatically succeeding at the Will roll)? I mean, you'd still have to spend the FP, so it still comes with a cost.

A player suggested this as a concept for their character - they have been genetically modified so that the normal mental, emotional, and physiological controls that prevent someone from burning themselves out quickly when they need to exert themselves have been removed.
Immunity to will rolls for Extra Effort? Though you need to say that you couldn't take more penalties than would reduce your will below 3.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 06-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Hmmm. What about adding "Cosmic, no Will roll required for Extra Effort, +100%" added directly to Will? It might even need to be +300% because that's just game-breaking. That plus a ton of FP or ER means you have a character who can effectively double any attribute or ability as often as he can regain FP/ER. Assuming a FP of 10 that means you you could increase [Foo] by 50% every hour. If your FP goes to 15 you could double it every hour. Add in Fit (for mundane extra effort), Breath Control, Recover Energy, and so on and it is even faster...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Make them by Strong will till 16 with accessibility (only extra effort) then make them take the perk(s) "No Nuisance roll (extra effort)"
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Not a way to eliminate the roll, but here are some bits that might interest the player in question:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=42014

Particularly this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:

Quirk: Never Uses Extra Effort.

Plus some Extra ST bought with "Costs Fatigue"
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Quirk: Never Uses Extra Effort.

Plus some Extra ST bought with "Costs Fatigue"
What he said.

If you remove the roll, then all you're really doing is allowing the character to use higher levels of his power by spending FP. So just buy higher levels of the power with Costs Fatigue.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Mr_Sandman

If you payed for a very high Will and Ridiculous Luck (extra-effort only), I would feel perfectly comfortable as a GM not making you go through the bother of Will rolls for extra effort.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
If you payed for a very high Will and Ridiculous Luck (extra-effort only), I would feel perfectly comfortable as a GM not making you go through the bother of Will rolls for extra effort.
I see where you're going, but I think that the luck is overly expensive for what you want and many of the other suggestions on the other thread cost less and work better.

That being said, I would (as GM) feel free to ignore the will roll if the character had high will and this was out of combat.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I see where you're going, but I think that the luck is overly expensive for what you want and many of the other suggestions on the other thread cost less and work better.

That being said, I would (as GM) feel free to ignore the will roll if the character had high will and this was out of combat.
True, I wasn't intending it as point optimization, just another option. The No Nuisance Rolls perk with 16 Will, or extra ST bought with Uses Fatigue are probably better ways to go.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra effort, will rolls