Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mix and Match 2021 (66 Combos)

combination 49: Keys of Olympus
49) Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

The Gate to Olympus requires a key to enter, lest the Gods be perpetually petitioned for merely pedestrian purposes. But the key has been stolen, and the means of regaining it are perilous indeed.

A Cursed Temple in the Land of Apes holds a powerful artifact that can track the key to olympus. But to reach the land of apes, one must pass through the orc lands and their watchtower near that gate, then find an ape to guide you to the temple. Once you have the artifact, you should travel to the frozen seas, past the dragon that takes toll on that gate, and find the ship where the key was sunk. The tracker will guide you. Then, with the key, you may open the gate, and present yourselves as worthy to stand before the Gods

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #82
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 50a: A Dark Relic
50) Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons and Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists

The PC's are asked to retrieve an relic of power lost aboard a ship. They are given a mystic compass that will point the way... but only when the needle is floated in human blood. They find the wrecked ship, and with it, its crew reanimated as hostile undead intent on dragging the characters down to a water grave with them. When they finally get the talisman, they will find it carved with skulls and other emblems of death... what exactly is this item for?

Combination 50b: Me and My Army
50) Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons and Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists

With titles come lands, and with lands, come jealous neighbors. raise your troops and finish what they started. You will be in the front lines, of course, especially when assaulting a certain watchtower..

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 51: Penance at the Monastery

51) Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold

The Codex de Molay details a curse laid upon the templar's treasure, dooming those who seek to destroy the templars. Over a year and a day, the victim will waste away and die. The Journal also contains a prescribed cure for the curse: those who seek penitence may pilgrimage to an old monestary in the foothills of the alps, make a generous contribution, and spend the evening in prayer. That night, the pilgrim will receive a dream, in which a quest granting redemption will be made known to them. Examples:

• Recover a holy relic from a lost ship, wrecked upon a desolate coast. The dream will give cues as to the location of the ship.
  • Slay a dragon. Yes, they still exist, hostile and truely evil, creatures of the devil waiting to wreck misery upon the earth. The dream gives landmarks giving hints as to where in the frozen north this demon can be found...
  • Cleanse a Ruined Cathedral where the devil has been invoked.

Of course, the Baphomet probably know about the monestary, and even though they let it stand, they keep a close eye on those visiting it...

Last edited by ericthered; 10-28-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #84
Christopher R. Rice

Very cool.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #85
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 52a: Element-Shapers of the Grissom Cluster
52) Space Atlas: Grissom and How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins

Deep inside the Grissom skystone mines is a secret: an ancient device that can transmute rock into skystone at a distance, raising rocks out of the poisonous mirk of the below into the habitable regions. At least, that's what Grissom's sages say it does. They're trying to find out more, and they don't want anyone coming close to it.

That's easier said than done, as many people are born with extrodinary control over the elements. Stormshapers and Flamemasters, Lightweavers and Shapechangers, all must be kept from the secret. And it takes a shaper to catch a shaper, or so the saying goes. The PC's are among these Element-shapers, and they may work for Grissom, or against it, but either way, they hold the fate of the cluster in their hands!

We return to the wild blue, as in combinations 16, 26, and 40. The combination of powers, low tech, and space opera sensibilities make it a useful setting to work with. At the end I should sum up the setting as a whole.

Combination 52b: The Galactic Knights and the Star Candle

The Psionic Galactic Knights wander the galaxy, fulfilling their oath to preserve and ensure peace and justice. Across the galaxy, deadly technologies of mass destruction and oppression must be resisted and destroyed, lest the galaxy fall into darkness.

In a remote corner of the galaxy, the knights uncover a planetary regime endevoring to uncover an alien artifact with sufficient power to ignite a gas giant into a star. The knights must investigate the intentions of this effort: will this engine light up the galaxy in a wave of prosperity and light, or will it usher in a reign of destruction and fire?

Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #86
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
[B]C
The Psionic Galactic Knights wander the galaxy,

In a remote corner of the galaxy, the knights uncover a planetary regime endevoring to uncover an alien artifact with sufficient power to ignite a gas giant into a star. The knights must investigate the intentions of this effort: will this engine light up the galaxy in a wave of prosperity and light, or will it usher in a reign of destruction and fire?
Um......Science Warning! Persons doing a Psionic Galactic Knights campaign may not be using any science but if they are this approach will not produce a stable star no way, no how.

If it's thought that "Surely, More Power will fix that!" be aware that the Power needs to eb a pseudo-gravitic compression of the mass and that it needs to be very powerful indeed and ongoing. If you turn the compression off there will be nothing feeding fuel to the fusing core and it will go out.

If you only want to blow stuff up heating the core of a gas giant to star-like temperatures might produce a large (but short-lived) explosion.

If no Science! is needed or wanted just ignore this post.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #87
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Um......Science Warning! Persons doing a Psionic Galactic Knights campaign may not be using any science but if they are this approach will not produce a stable star no way, no how.

If no Science! is needed or wanted just ignore this post.

This is all quite true. The ignition of a gas giant into a star is the core premise of Grissom, if you read the PDF. I work with what I'm given.

Though for "Psionic Galactic Knights" .... I'm inclined to give the science a pass. Some of the other Grissom settings may want to be aware of this though.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #88
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 52a: Element-Shapers of the Grissom Cluster

Deep inside the Grissom skystone mines is a secret: an ancient device that can transmute rock into skystone at a distance, raising rocks out of the poisonous mirk of the below into the habitable regions. At least, that's what Grissom's sages say it does. They're trying to find out more, and they don't want anyone coming close to it.

That's easier said than done, as many people are born with extrodinary control over the elements. Stormshapers and Flamemasters, Lightweavers and Shapechangers, all must be kept from the secret. And it takes a shaper to catch a shaper, or so the saying goes. The PC's are among these Element-shapers, and they may work for Grissom, or against it, but either way, they hold the fate of the cluster in their hands!

We return to the wild blue, as in combinations 16, 26, and 40. The combination of powers, low tech, and space opera sensibilities make it a useful setting to work with. At the end I should sum up the setting as a whole.

Combination 52b: The Galactic Knights and the Star Candle

The Psionic Galactic Knights wander the galaxy, fulfilling their oath to preserve and ensure peace and justice. Across the galaxy, deadly technologies of mass destruction and oppression must be resisted and destroyed, lest the galaxy fall into darkness.

Ok. These are both awesome. The skystone bit is creative as hell.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #89
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 53: The Venus Chamber
53) Space Atlas: Grissom and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield

Grissom's secret is the size of an entire moon, or even the size of a small star, but the biggest clues and treausures of the engine happen at a very few dig sites where machinary and alien control stations have been dug down to. One of these is the Venus chamber, secreted under a BuAstro military spacecraft yard. These craft are mostly retired, but are kept in case of research and kept away from nieghbors who might want the unqiue Grissom-derived technology. That the tech isn't that desireable only works towards the true goal of hiding a dig site into the moon. Under the spaceport is a thriving research facility working hard to uncover the secrets of the moon.

So if your players ever earn a look at the controls of grissom's moon (or what BuAstro thinks are the controls), you have a map for the dig site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Ok. These are both awesome. The skystone bit is creative as hell.
Thanks! Though I must admit I'm pulling on the work of others. The Wild Blue has been an oddly useful setting here, and as floating islands are a favorite subject of mine, I've kept an eye on how different versions work.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #90
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 54: The Grissom Laberinth
54) Space Atlas: Grissom and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

While the ignited star is the first clue Grissom's researchers are unraveling, the thread winds across the cosmos, to unknown moons connected by a network of mysterious gates. The researchers hope that they will be able to figure out who these mysterious builders are before the larger galaxy becomes aware of the find. The stations often have automated defenses, and clearing them out can be quite troublesome, if quite rewarding. There is also a bizarre tendency towards aggressive wildlife living inside of the complexes. This must be part of the puzzle, somehow...