Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Enhanced Senses] Perfect Senses

Enhanced Senses tells us that you can buy Enhancements to your normal senses. If my calculations are correct, you can buy No Die Roll Required for all your senses for 42 points. What would that do to skill rolls and advantages that seem to rely on senses?

For instance, Discriminatory Smell lets you memorize a smell with an IQ roll. Tracking receives a bonus from the same advantage, so presumably it can rely on smell. Do they also automatically succeed?

My immediate instinct is "no, you get what you pay for". But how do I motivate this from an "in-game" perspective?

Edit: There's also an exploit hidden here - you can get Acute Senses really cheaply by buying Reliable for your senses.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: [Enhanced Senses] Perfect Senses

How do you calculate the cost for No Die Roll Required for all your senses?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
whswhs

I would say that No Die Roll Required applies only to things that you could perceive with a simple Sense roll. You don't gain the ability to make discriminatory hearing or smell rolls (and have them automatically succeed), any more than you gain the ability to Detect anything (automatically); you have to buy the relevant advantage. I would probably require you to apply the modifier to the price of the advantage, too.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Enhanced Senses tells us that you can buy Enhancements to your normal senses. If my calculations are correct, you can buy No Die Roll Required for all your senses for 42 points. What would that do to skill rolls and advantages that seem to rely on senses?
Simply speaking, it means any time you would roll a Sense Roll, you automatically succeed. Basic talks about that being 15pts for Vision as a through exercise, 42 for all senses actually seems more expensive (Vision is considered the best sense without other advantages) and is probably fine. I'd maybe even bring it down to 40pts just for pentaphilia's sake.

Considering how much you can do with Detect for 100pts, what you get out of 42pts this way sounds very cool but probably fine. I could even see this being a (cinematic) mundane trait. To compare, Per18 means you can still fail, but all Per skills also work off of an 18. Someone with Per18 and 2pts in Search gets a huge bonus to help find things intentionally hidden, but someone with NRR on all senses would get a minimum MoS of 0 (as per how NRR works with contests), at least by my interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
For instance, Discriminatory Smell lets you memorize a smell with an IQ roll. Tracking receives a bonus from the same advantage, so presumably it can rely on smell. Do they also automatically succeed?
That's just what happens when you put NRR on Discriminatory Smell, so it sounds like you'd want both to actually have "perfect senses". Combine all that with Photographic Memory and you have someone that can absolutely understand what is physically happening in a situation they are in and able to recount it as is later on.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:28 AM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
How do you calculate the cost for No Die Roll Required for all your senses?
"Normal Senses and Modifiers" page 9.

Tags
enhancements, senses