Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
archypetro

Default MArtial arts styles

I've taken to attempting some development of 'own-world' martial styles but i'mn curious about a few things. Please forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere (which i suppose some of it has, and i've just not found it via search or reading)

1) Would a marital style (assuming a cinematic world) be able to grant access to certain skills/techniques/innate attacks etc?

For example Lets suggest a style taught a system that delived and emphasised perfectly connecting blows (to pressure points) in order to overcome an opponent, Pressure points would indeed be on the skill list
but would it be possible to circumvent the normal TBaM pre-requisite?
I mean if that's the whole point of the skill.. then does it make a lot of sense for the lower students to be unable to do this until they're Masters?
(it may be a poor example, but that's the general feeling)

2) In a similar fashion would it be feasible to grant 'extraordinary' powers to
practitioners of a sylte?

For example, say a person was studying 'flaming dragon fist' which emphasised using the idea and concept of dragons and their fire based attacks to grant some chi-based supernatural power...

So.. in the 'option skills/abilities' part of the martial art, you could get something like Innate Attack 1D Burning (Melee, etc etc) - for a fire imbued punch, once they become sufficiently skilled at that style.

3) Following on from the above questions. How would you model a 'lightning fist style'? Which aims to be able to punch excessively per second (real life masters can punch 10x/second) in a very cinematic fashion without costing hundreds of character points?

The idea i had was this:

a perk could potentially allow you to drop -1 from one attack of rapid strike. But you only can access it if you've studied this style.

E.g.

CharacterA is trained in this style
and he has 2 levels of 'lightning fist perk(karate)' he opts to do a rapid strike so that his attacks are as follows.

-6/-6
he decides, however, to put his training to good use and use his perks to drop it to
-4/-6 (or -5/-5, or some other combination)...

Is this too overpowered (Given that TBaM cost 30)? Can someone suggest an alternative? I considered saying 'innate attack, melee-bound, high rate of fire' as an alterantive to this.

Thanks
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote