Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
GWJ

Default More detailed Familiarity Rules

Hey, I'm wondering if there are more detailed (than B.169) rules for Familiarity? My 2 main problems with it are:
* I don't know what exact penalties should I give. It's some info in the individual skill descriptions, but I can't find any more-or-less universal modifiers like -x for different ammo type, -y for different lock type etc.
* How to measure practicing time? For shooting for example. 8 hours is MUCH time and hundreds of bullets... In settings where bullets are scarce (postapo for example, like my campaign at the moment) this is major issue

EDIT:
* Any familiarities for melee weapons?

Last edited by GWJ; 10-21-2020 at 11:28 AM.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Indrazor

Default Re: More detailed Familiarity Rules

Why do you think melee weapons should have familiarity penalties?
Indrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
* I don't know what exact penalties should I give. It's some info in the individual skill descriptions, but I can't find any more-or-less universal modifiers like -x for different ammo type, -y for different lock type etc.
There are no such modifiers. GURPS doesn't delve to any greater detail than whole devices, except where specific skills or gear say otherwise.

Quote:
* How to measure practicing time? For shooting for example. 8 hours is MUCH time and hundreds of bullets... In settings where bullets are scarce (postapo for example, like my campaign at the moment) this is major issue
I suggest being generous on this score. Generally, if you go on an eight-hour adventure with your gun as your primary weapon ready to fire most of the time and take a few shots, I'd count that as enough practice. Otherwise, it's just up to the judgment of the GM. "Yeah, I think by now you'd feel comfortable with it."

Quote:
* Any familiarities for melee weapons?
Only those skills marked with "TL" will be affected by familiarity modifiers. "Any skill used to operate equipment."
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
It's considered better to scale them down, so that unfamiliarity penalties are not larger than penalties for defaulting to a different Guns specialty. Kromm has expressed his opinion on this, as has PK.
Quote:
* How to measure practicing time? For shooting for example. 8 hours is MUCH time and hundreds of bullets... In settings where bullets are scarce (postapo for example, like my campaign at the moment) this is major issue.
I don't have any shooting experience, but I have quite a lot of photography experience, and cameras definitely take familiarity penalties. When I get a new camera that I'm going to use a lot, I spend time handling it, getting thoroughly familiar with the controls, the viewfinder and so on, practicing focussing and metering, taking shots without film, and generally familiarising myself with it. The same kind of practice may well be useful with guns.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
I very much doubt that you are expected to spend every second of those eight hours sending bullets downrange. You're going to want to read the manual, practise disassembly, cleaning, and assembly, get used to how it feels to handle, fiddle with things like sights, straps, etc. Even when you're shooting, you probably aren't going to be just firing as quickly as you can. You will want to fire a couple of shots, check the effect on the target, adjust things, see if you can work out why it isn't doing what you expect, and loads of other stuff which doesn't use any bullets.
Exactly how many bullets you will need, I'm not sure. But it isn't going to be many thousands of rounds, as eight hours of non-stop shooting would require.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Ideally, you will aim for three seconds between shots, reloading the clip manually with bullets, and reloading the gun, all without Fast-Draw. A Glock would take 72 seconds to empty the clip, 1 second to firedraw, 36 seconds to fill the clip, and 2 seconds to insert, ~2 minutes per clip. You would probably need to dissemble, clean, and reassemble after three loaded clips, which would probably take 10 minutes, resulting in 54 bullets shot every 16 minutes (plus a 4 minute break) for a total of 20 minutes. This would likely be done over a little more than a month, one 20 minute session a day.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
familiarity, guns