Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #201
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'll readily admit I'm not terribly familiar with the character, but the description of having extremely strong legs imply Super Jump and an increased carrying capacity may be appropriate.
Super Jump seems a bit redundant with having a good level of Enhanced Move. With a Basic Move+Enhanced Move of 78, he has a high jump of around 40' and a long jump of around 150'. That seems good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For the latter, something like Lifting ST (No Fine Manipulators -40%) [1.8]/level could work, to whatever level you feel is appropriate (matching his leg Striking ST would be +20, for [36], and would give BL 192 for purposes of things like encumbrance and literally lifting things with his legs, but not for picking things up with his arms). I'd suggest renaming the Limitation to Legs Only to avoid confusion.
It's a fair idea, and I think it might have crossed my mind, but the issue is, pricing is difficult. Calling it effectively No Fine Manipulators might work. I'll think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
The Quicksliver I knew was a speedster and not known for his kicking. However, that Quicksilver isn't supposed to be this Quicksilver, and I realize that. It reminds me more of RWBY's Mercury... who is probably a Quicksilver Expy, making me wonder if Quicksilver either used to be or now is all about dem kicks. XD
Well, based on the Marvel Wikia, as well as a copy of the strength level page from one of the handbooks I got my hands on, he does have strong legs, with him having a leg press of 1000-2000 lb depending on the time of writing. I wasn't sure how to represent that, as I mentioned, and since Striking ST is almost definitionally fast ST, it made sense to me. With this version lacking both the instant acceleration and super-durability of the comics and movie versions, kicking seemed like a good method of fighting to train in.

Quote:
Okay, okay, getting to combat for Quicksilver, during this era, he... wasn't use for direct combat a lot. His powers was for fast rescues, or circumventing the need for combat in the first place. When he did need to attack, it was usually with punches, or maybe even a tackle. Kicking somewhat defeated the purpose, because he needed his legs to run.
Well, I figure punching and kicking will require the same amount of slowing down, and as mentioned, slams are a bad idea when you're a speedster with no special durability.

Quote:
Though, if you can get it for a reasonable price, that really is a good issue of X-Factor to read. I almost have the issue number memorized (thought it was #77), because that is how influential it was for my comic book reading in general. Peter David and Joe Quesada in 1993. :D
I'll keep it in mind if I plan to do a deep-dive for this project.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #202
naloth

Quote:
I am not against this version having key differences, and so far, I like what I am seeing. :) I'll mention the Quicksilver I think I knew, just in case there is anything relevant to the nerfed Quicksilver. This was from his X-Factor run (pardon the pun). I strongly encourage reading X-Factor Vol. 1 #87. Titled "X-Aminations", we get to sit in on Doc Sampson interviewing the team at the time, including Quicksilver. It won't do much to explain Quicksilver's powers, but it was a great look into Quicksilver's state of mind. At least, at the time.
As I recall, the storyline where he's aging in proportion to his speed use turned out to be part of a villain plot that was uncovered a few issues later.

As for comments: Speedsters really benefit from "Speed Talent" as it adds to all sorts of things and also raises the move and attack cap. It's well worth dumping 20 points into it.

I'd second the notion that Quicksilver is a utility rather than combat character. He don't really kick others, but he does carry others quite a bit and it doesn't see to slow him. To carry others without a major loss of speed (looks like he loses 40% just carrying Wanda) he'll need ST or Lifting ST (only while moving?). I'd probably go for just upping ST (Mutant* -10%; Only while running -20%) since it helps him have decent punches while running.

For zipping around, I've borrowed "Ghostly Move" from Horror, replacing the "unseen" with a power modifier, though that doesn't really fit with what you're going for.

DX14 also seems a bit high. He's just not that good at things. I'd probably go for a 12 and adjust his base speed to compensate.

Last edited by naloth; 03-02-2021 at 11:23 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #203
Otaku

Naloth, thank you. I'm fond of Quicksilver, but definitely not an expert. Your post corrected some errors I made, but otherwise explained what I meant better than I did. XD

Like a lot of characters with this much history (and multiple on-screen counterparts), Quicksilver gets confusing fast (pun intended). I had to suck it up and go look at his powers (and glance through his history) on Wikipedia. After all, he's gone from being a mutant to a de-powered mutant to an Inhuman to an experiment by the High Evolutionary over the last 20-ish years. He wasn't as ridiculous as the Flash was with speed powers... until, eventually, he was. >.>

awesomenessofme1, if you want Quicksilver to attack through kicking, go ahead. Just remember that, even with his super speed, there is a difference in what he can do while "running" on one leg and kicking, versus running on both legs and punching. ;) However, if Quicksilver's powers are going to be - in part - due to his legs, so they're significantly stronger, then it makes sense to kick! Or, of course, if you just want it to work that way. :)

That doesn't seem to be how comic book Quicksilver works, though. He's faster than others in terms of his overall biology, to the point he's faster mentally as well. From what I remember and just read, he's probably well above average for a human even when his powers are not working. Meaning, he probably does have around that high of a DX score, HT score, Basic Speed, etc. Something else I noticed is that, besides healing faster from injury, Quicksilver has "something" about him that means he can handle the friction, vibrations, and even a lot of the impacts caused from moving at high speed.

Check out Wikipedia for a general idea of what the comic book version of Quicksilver can currently do, then start the "nerfing" from there. If you already did that, pardon me for not catching on! >_<
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 03-02-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #204
Phantasm

Ah, yes, Peter David was genius with Pietro explaining his frustration - Pietro Maximoff Syndrome, or PMS.

Permit me to explain in a rough paraphrase. Imagine being at a supermarket without self-checkout, there are four lines open, and they are all moving slow. You have a handful of items, and get into the shortest line. The person two folks ahead of you has two overloaded carts, and the guy in front of you also has an overloaded cart. It'll take forever. And every other line is like that.

And now imagine that everyone in your life is moving at exactly that slow speed. What takes everyone else a subjective ten seconds can stretch into what feels like hours to you.

To quote Pietro: "You'd have PMS, too."

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #205
Phantasm

Overall, I'm not so sure about this Pietro's lack of ATR or Extra Attack. I understand why you kept the speed to running, reflexes, and ETS, but at the least I'd give a few levels of Extra Attack, probably with Multi-Strike, so he can hit in combat more than once per turn.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:45 PM   #206
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Wolverine
Acute Hearing 2 [4]
I'd just roll up all his enhanced senses in Per.

Quote:
DR5 (Alternative Limitations (Limited (Crushing), Skull Only), -30%; Tough Skin, -40%) [5]
I'm guessing this the metal added to his skull. Tough Skin makes sense (blunt trauma). I wouldn't have limited it to crushing, though, since it usually protects vs sword hits (cutting) and bullets (piercing).

Quote:
Natural Weapon (Impaling; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Extra Reach 1, +30%; Increased Damage +3, +90%; Resilient 2, +20%; Switchable, +10%) [24]
Switchable should be Hidden +20%. I'd go ahead and make it Resilient +40% so he never has to worry about breakage, period. I
How about:
- Destructive Parry?
- Swing - cut?

Quote:
Regeneration (Regular; Mutant, -10%) [23]
Seems weak considering this is his signature survival ability.

I'd also consider adding IT (Unstoppable) since Wolvie's trademark is fighting injured.

Quote:
Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]
Wolverine seems to get more than his share of the girls. I'd suggest he positive appearance (to ladies at least) and possibly a point or two of charisma.

Quote:
Bad Temper (12) [-10]
I've traditionally given him berserk instead.

You might also considering adding a few languages and a nod to his time in Japan if he's been there in this setting.

I noticed I missed a few pages of this thread...
Old 03-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #207
awesomenessofme1

I'm going to be honest, it's been a while, so my memory may not be 100% there, but I'll do my best to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'd just roll up all his enhanced senses in Per.
I believe I was trying to differentiate things. All of his senses are good (Per 14), his hearing is even better (16 because of Acute Senses), and his taste/smell are incredible (18 because of Discriminatory Smell).

Quote:
II'm guessing this the metal added to his skull. Tough Skin makes sense (blunt trauma). I wouldn't have limited it to crushing, though, since it usually protects vs sword hits (cutting) and bullets (piercing).
He doesn't have metal, just very dense and strong bones. I took the guidelines for representing that from some book. Bio-Tech, maybe? So he has DR 5, which protects against any damage for skull hits, but only crushing damage anywhere else.

Quote:
ISwitchable should be Hidden +20%. I'd go ahead and make it Resilient +40% so he never has to worry about breakage, period. I
How about:
- Destructive Parry?
- Swing - cut?
Again, not metal, just bone claws. As for Switchable, it's a minor thing, but I feel like it makes sense for him to need to take one second for it.

Quote:
ISeems weak considering this is his signature survival ability.
From what I understand, this has varied a lot depending on source, so I erred on the side of minimalism. It still allows him to recover from anything short of death in a matter of days.

Quote:
II'd also consider adding IT (Unstoppable) since Wolvie's trademark is fighting injured.
That's a fair point. If I ever come back to this, it's something I'll keep in mind.

Quote:
IWolverine seems to get more than his share of the girls. I'd suggest he positive appearance (to ladies at least) and possibly a point or two of charisma.
Charisma, maybe. I'd be more inclined to give him some variant of Classic Features (Brooding Loner) than actually increasing his Appearance, though.

Quote:
II've traditionally given him berserk instead.
I don't know about "instead", but I'm pretty sure I did consider it at some point and decided against it. I could maybe reconsider.

Quote:
IYou might also considering adding a few languages and a nod to his time in Japan if he's been there in this setting.
I tried to keep his backstory vague, and I'm not super-familiar with that side of the character, so I left it out, but that certainly could be an addition.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #208
naloth

As an aside, I missed how you intend for Mutant to differ from Super. It looks like they are roughly the same modifier for arbitrarily different groups.

I'm also guessing this is more like the movie Scarlet Witch than the comic version?

Quote:
Scarlet Witch
Affliction (Will-4; Accurate 3, +15%; Based on Will, +20%; Cosmic (Ignores DR), +300%; Disadvantage (Cursed), +75%; Increased Range (LOS), +40%; Mutant, -10%) [98]
Cursed wouldn't be that meaningful over the course of a few minutes, certainly not over a few seconds in combat. Sure, it would make the target for any already bad random event, but it won't make targets fail checks that would normally be successful.

For a better Hex power, I'd use:
Hexing (Visualization: Cursing +100%; No non-instant use 0%*; Reduced Time 7 +140%; Reliable +10 +50%; Mutant -10%) [38]. Allows her to penalize an opponent's action as described in Powers. Make an IQ check. The opponent suffers a penalty based on MoS/3 (round down). Higher IQ or Talent make this more effective, but right now it would usually apply a ([22-10]/3) -4 to one opponent's roll.

*Reliable is a bit cheesy on a 10 point ability, but it's only counting 1/3 of it's effectiveness.

Alternatively, you could use a hypothetical Control (air? luck?) as well.

Quote:
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
As a point of interest, I try to assign values based on how other characters react rather than how they are drawn. Marvel women tend to be beauties, but Scarlet Witch hasn't really ever got hit on that much. Perhaps Attractive, but I'd just drop it entirely.

Quote:
Mind Control (Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Extended Duration x10, +30%; One and Done, -10%; Puppet, -40%; Sense-Based (Vision and Hearing), -25%; Mutant, -10%) [33]
Terror (-2 to Fright Checks; Increased Range (LOS) ¹, +70%; Presence (Active), +20%; Accessibility (Only vs sapient targets), -10%; Mutant, -10%) [85]
I'm not adverse to any of these, but they seem a bit odd considering her usual power set.

Quote:
Twin Telepathy² [16]
Perhaps Special Rapport instead?
Old 03-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #209
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
As an aside, I missed how you intend for Mutant to differ from Super. It looks like they are roughly the same modifier for arbitrarily different groups.
Well, yes. And obviously, the specific countermeasures will differ, at least insofar as they'll only work against one of them.

Quote:
I'm also guessing this is more like the movie Scarlet Witch than the comic version?
Yep. I included a few aspects of the comic version that I knew of, but I'm not really into comics.

Quote:
Cursed wouldn't be that meaningful over the course of a few minutes, certainly not over a few seconds in combat. Sure, it would make the target for any already bad random event, but it won't make targets fail checks that would normally be successful.
I'd have to look at the discussion I had when first making it, but I believe I ended up deciding that "it's guaranteed to cause one bad thing to happen relatively quick, but then it disappears immediately" ended up netting to +0%. I definitely discussed this at some point.

Quote:
For a better Hex power, I'd use:
Hexing (Visualization: Cursing +100%; No non-instant use 0%*; Reduced Time 7 +140%; Reliable +10 +50%; Mutant -10%) [38]. Allows her to penalize an opponent's action as described in Powers. Make an IQ check. The opponent suffers a penalty based on MoS/3 (round down). Higher IQ or Talent make this more effective, but right now it would usually apply a ([22-10]/3) -4 to one opponent's roll.

*Reliable is a bit cheesy on a 10 point ability, but it's only counting 1/3 of it's effectiveness.

Alternatively, you could use a hypothetical Control (air? luck?) as well.
I'll consider this if I ever come back to this.

Quote:
As a point of interest, I try to assign values based on how other characters react rather than how they are drawn. Marvel women tend to be beauties, but Scarlet Witch hasn't really ever got hit on that much. Perhaps Attractive, but I'd just drop it entirely.
Another thing I'd need to look into since it's been a while, but iirc, I used the "heroes tend to be more attractive" judgment rather than "everyone is drawn/cast more attractive, so adjust for that".

Quote:
I'm not adverse to any of these, but they seem a bit odd considering her usual power set.
Well, I based it largely on the MCU version, and it seems like she definitely has both of those. The Terror is based on the nightmares she used in Age of Ultron, and the Mind Control has appeared in a few places.

Quote:
Perhaps Special Rapport instead?
Special Rapport is included. It's Special Rapport+Mindlink (One Person)+Telesend (One Person Only).
Old 03-30-2022, 06:29 AM   #210
naloth

Quote:
I'm going to be honest, it's been a while, so my memory may not be 100% there, but I'll do my best to respond.
No worries. I just saw this thread the other day and opted for some threadomancy.

Quote:
I believe I was trying to differentiate things. All of his senses are good (Per 14), his hearing is even better (16 because of Acute Senses), and his taste/smell are incredible (18 because of Discriminatory Smell).
Ok, though normally his sight is at least as remarkable as his hearing. I'd have given him a few levels of night vision instead (to counter penalties).

Quote:
He doesn't have metal, just very dense and strong bones. I took the guidelines for representing that from some book. Bio-Tech, maybe? So he has DR 5, which protects against any damage for skull hits, but only crushing damage anywhere else.
Ah, I didn't understand that as it was written.

I'd do the nearly indestructible bones version. If nothing else, it justifies buying IT:Unbreakable Bones for a lot cheaper than you get can Regrowth.

Quote:
From what I understand, this has varied a lot depending on source, so I erred on the side of minimalism. It still allows him to recover from anything short of death in a matter of days.
Sure, that would take about a week (~6 days), but I'd be more concerned that he'll probably need days of recovery between every fight. This certainly isn't a version that would go head to head with the Hulk or any other scrapper.

Quote:
Charisma, maybe. I'd be more inclined to give him some variant of Classic Features (Brooding Loner) than actually increasing his Appearance, though.
Perhaps he has a super high version of the Sex Appeal skill.

Quote:
I tried to keep his backstory vague, and I'm not super-familiar with that side of the character, so I left it out, but that certainly could be an addition.
Sure. Usually he's old enough to have traveled the world a bit, picked up languages, made friends, made even more enemies, and developed a few odd skills.

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers