Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
Steen

Default [MA: TG] Preventing Movement with Telekinesis

Just a quick question: in Martial Arts: Technical Grappling, the usual rules of preventing a character from performing a Move maneuver are turned into a matter of weighing him down and exceeding his 10xBL. How does this work in regards to Telekinesis? The telekinetic energy does not have a weight in itself (I assume?), and I also assume that the weight of the wielder of the Telekinesis does not count either. With the rules in TG, how would a small person wielding Telekinesis stop a foe without downright pinning him?

Thank you!
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [MA: TG] Preventing Movement with Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen View Post
Just a quick question: in Martial Arts: Technical Grappling, the usual rules of preventing a character from performing a Move maneuver are turned into a matter of weighing him down and exceeding his 10xBL. How does this work in regards to Telekinesis? The telekinetic energy does not have a weight in itself (I assume?), and I also assume that the weight of the wielder of the Telekinesis does not count either. With the rules in TG, how would a small person wielding Telekinesis stop a foe without downright pinning him?

Thank you!
Apply enough control points (I believe each level of TK is a level of ST) to lower DX and ST to the point where they can't move. This works for both TK and regular grappling.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Varyon

An Enhancement for TK to give it mass when grappling equal to something like 8xBL (using the TK's BL, of course) might be called for, so that you can slow a foe down rather than outright stopping them. Offhand, maybe +20%? Alternatively, having movement speed scale with DX as accumulated CP reduces it might be worthwhile. For example, a character with DX 10 and Move 5 would be reduced to Move 4 when DX is reduced to 8 from CP, Move 3 when reduced to 6, and so forth, so the character doesn't go from (clumsily) running around at full speed to being completely unable to move once they get hit with the last CP, and instead there's a gradual reduction in speed.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Apply enough control points (I believe each level of TK is a level of ST) to lower DX and ST to the point where they can't move. This works for both TK and regular grappling.
TG19:
Technical Grappling removes the concept of the pinned
state, but you can still immobilize a foe by reducing his effective
ST and DX.
Can't you usually still attempt attacks at DX 0 if you're particularly skilled or using Telegraphic Attacks for +4, so long as your effective skill is at least 3?

I know you're supposed to be immobile (or dead, if reduced to it by aging) if a DX 0 creature under normal rules, but I don't know whether or not temporary penalties work the same.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:11 AM   #5
aesir23

Douglas Cole has already told you how to do this with TG, but I'll add that if this is something you want your telekinetic to be able to do regularly, I'd recommend simply buying Binding as an Alternate Ability to your TK.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
TG19:
Technical Grappling removes the concept of the pinned
state, but you can still immobilize a foe by reducing his effective
ST and DX.
Can't you usually still attempt attacks at DX 0 if you're particularly skilled or using Telegraphic Attacks for +4, so long as your effective skill is at least 3?

I know you're supposed to be immobile (or dead, if reduced to it by aging) if a DX 0 creature under normal rules, but I don't know whether or not temporary penalties work the same.
I’ve got a fever. And the cure. Is more Control Points!!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
smurf
Banned

GURPS BL chart

Code:
ST	BLx1	BLx2	BLx3	BLx6	BLx10
2	1	2	3	6	10
3	2	5	7	14	23
4	4	8	12	24	40
5	6	13	19	38	63
6	9	18	27	54	90
7	12	25	37	74	123
8	16	32	48	96	160
9	20	41	61	122	203
10	25	50	75	150	250
11	30	61	91	182	303
12	36	72	108	216	360
13	42	85	127	254	423
14	49	98	147	294	490
15	56	113	169	338	563
16	64	128	192	384	640
17	72	145	217	434	723
18	81	162	243	486	810
19	90	181	271	542	903
20	100	200	300	600	1000
I tried to highlight the point TK can deal with small humanoids around 160lb including stuff but the reality may but it up as high as 220lbs.

Overhead Lifting (see B15-16)

One handed lifts
x1 requires one second concentration to lift.
x2 requires two seconds of concentration to lift

Two handed lifts
x8 requires four seconds of concentration to lift

Conversely you could apply the TK pressure as encumbrance to the target adding to its encumbered rate.

Slowing the rate of advance by .2, .4, .6, and .8 respectively.

Of course you could, if you have the TKST, just pick the target up and smack it against a few walls, or use the throwing rules on B355 and Extra Effort on 357.

BL divided by Object's weight (in lbs) = the Weight Ratio that gives a Distance Modifier to be multiplied by ST to find the range of the throw.

Depending on the TKST there will come a point you can just pick the target up.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I’ve got a fever. And the cure. Is more Control Points!!
Give me enough Control Points and a place to stand, and I can Judo Throw the Earth.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
CeeDub

Is there an actual need to pin your opponent down? If I had TK, I'd lift my opponent up. Without leverage against the ground or the intangible force that's holding him up, he's helpless.

To expand on aesir23's advice, I would buy Binding as an AA with Engulfing and Unbreakable. Technical Grappling p.28 addresses both TK and Binding.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Is there an actual need to pin your opponent down? If I had TK, I'd lift my opponent up. Without leverage against the ground or the intangible force that's holding him up, he's helpless.
My go-to here has been the default from DX to the Free Fall skill: -5 to DX/skills, which imparts -3 to defenses (half skill, round up). No penalty to target the person thus suspended. A ST penalty due to lack of leverage and equal-opposite reaction effect might be appropriate. -1 or even -2 per die, or just "half damage for melee" would all be easy.

Tags
technical grappling, telekinesis