Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 AM   #31
Tywyll

Default Re: How to live forever in TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes Regeneration is not known by the Wizards' Guild in my games, and if someone does have that power, it's going to take something much more significant (starting with finding them) than some fatigue and patience while the limb regrows.

The Wizards' Guild as written does not generally take advantage of their monopoly by charging more than their guild rates. The Legacy edition Regeneration spell just costs some fatigue, so the standard cost would be trivial (about $50, a third the list price of a 1-point healing potion . . . ) unless they break standard WG policy to gouge limbless people on prices.

Again, the players who like having easy cheap limb regrowth available can enjoy that, but I'd rather have permanent crippling injuries be a part of my game worlds.
Yeah, I was reading the costs for buying a spell and its effectively trivial now to replace limbs ($30 for the str cost, plus about $4 for the main wizard and $2 for about 3 apprentices to fuel it...so around $40). That still puts it outside the realm of the vast majority of people (who live at subsistence levels and have 0 disposable income), but even a little extra wealth could afford a limb or disease repair.

It is actually an interesting ramification on the fantasy world. Hero Physickers would well pause to consider learning that one spell to top off their abilities.

Its your game, so obviously do what you want, but it does make Cidri very different from your bog standard fantasy world.

(Granted, I'm not a fan of the Wizard Guild concept and I think the prices for things are ridiculous, but the actual spell itself isn't too bad. It's impossible for a single character to cast it without lots of stored mana and/or power stones and it puts the recipient into a coma for a week....though a month might have been better, but still, not too bad).

Regardless of one's feelings on the matter, it does frame the discussion vis-à-vis shapechange and regrowing limbs as it is 4 point lower spell.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
... but the actual spell itself isn't too bad. It's impossible for a single character to cast it without lots of stored mana and/or power stones ...
The single caster limit doesn't seem liable to usually be a major obstacle to me unless the setting makes that hard. That is, one wizard can do it if they have two or three assistants who know the IQ 9 Aid spell (who don't need to be wizards).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:29 AM   #33
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The single caster limit doesn't seem liable to usually be a major obstacle to me unless the setting makes that hard. That is, one wizard can do it if they have two or three assistants who know the IQ 9 Aid spell (who don't need to be wizards).
I've yet to see an apprentice in play. Granted, that might be that, like hirelings in OSR games, players need to see them in play to understand their benefits.

Granted with a spell like this you can hire one for casting it.

Regardless, what I was getting at was that the spell has hurdles that a player has to jump through to use it. It isn't something you use in the middle of an adventure, for example. While I might change the rest period to a month, it feels sufficiently limited (its not auto-regen or anything).
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote