Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #591
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, I wasn't expecting that much.
Maybe you could set it up to melt in such a way that it blocks the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The High Precision High Voltage Meters.
I'll try to keep an eye out for these while doing my transport rounds. If I see a stationary one, I'll make up an excuse to leave to tell Thibi and try and slip over.

Quote:
[389] 21-03-31 02:17:40 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 3 + 4 + 5 = 12 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #592
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, I wasn't expecting that much. It will be very hard to move that much without being spotted, since I'm guessing repairs will be going on 24-hours per day. Unless he could, say, toss it out an airlock he may be better off finding some other parts to break.
You do have the option of retroactively sabotauging the solder. Also, while repairs will be going on, the solder won't be constantly accessed, just every few hours or so.


Quote:
What's the reaction on the ship to it dropping out of hyperspace?
The object will exit the ship's stability bubble, causing a course deviation. Navigation will detect this and correct the course. The first time it will look like a natural occurrence. Repeated bumps of the exact same size, and especially of the same side of the ship, will make it obvious that someone is dumping things overboard.


the solder will end up somewhere in the depths of interstellar space along your route.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Maybe you could set it up to melt in such a way that it blocks the door.
From the inside or the outside? The outside is easy, but its also kind of obvious. Just get a welding torch and go to town.


I suppose you could disable the fire alarms, pile in a bunch of metallic hydrogen, and then light it on fire. The hydrogen will eventually burn itself out, and you might be able to solder the door shut.

Why do Hua's suggestions keep coming back to fire?

Quote:
I'll try to keep an eye out for these while doing my transport rounds. If I see a stationary one, I'll make up an excuse to leave to tell Thibi and try and slip over.
Most of them are stored in active work areas: the generator floor, both ship drive work floors, and near the big forward lasers. The shield crew keeps their voltmeters in their locker section. Each of those locations has two of the things. So it will take more than just idling spotting them.

The ones for the shields and the star drive Daymar knows the location of. I'll need an observation roll from Hua to find the ones for the forward lasers, maneuver drive, and generators.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #593
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Why do Hua's suggestions keep coming back to fire?
I dunno, seems more like a weird coincidence/maybe influenced by the flour fire being the first thing I did. If this were a longer campaign or something I'd probably want to swap a quirk for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So it will take more than just idling spotting them.

The ones for the shields and the star drive Daymar knows the location of. I'll need an observation roll from Hua to find the ones for the forward lasers, maneuver drive, and generators.
OK, I'll start with whichever would be convenient for my shift. Plan is:
-> Fib to Thibi (split for efficiency, whatever)
-> Stealthy go over to the work area (whichever's convenient)
-> Try to find the voltmeter
-> Maybe try to fry it depending on the situation.

Quote:
[390] 21-03-31 16:53:36 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13 - 1 + 5 + 3 = 9 ... success
[391] 21-03-31 16:53:52 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 - 3 + 2 + 5 = 10 ... success
[392] 21-03-31 16:54:08 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13 - 3 + 4 + 3 = 10 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 PM   #594
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica is up to support both of you.

TGLS: She can help Hua in breaking the nozzles. With her psi power she can mess with electronics easily, and can also damage the solder and the nozzles faster than Hua with her psi.

Gnomes: I am just waiting for the time they agree on taking the Nav-Chief “down”.

Erick/TGLS: Pacifica asked Hua to bring her radios (walkie-talkies), it’s been a while since this request so I wonder if that actually happened during our current time-frame. With the radios, I could tell you if Zibo leaves or not.

Everybody:

I understand action is sort of focused on breaking the hyper-drives, but I believe we have to subvert the target first. Else, things might be too hot and could lead to a bloodbath.

Considering it is about 2 days before the jump, I suggest we take a chance to subvert the chief on day 1, and then another chance on day 2. This increases the probability of success; I am assuming the damage dealt to the hyper drive will show progressively.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #595
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You do have the option of retroactively sabotauging the solder. Also, while repairs will be going on, the solder won't be constantly accessed, just every few hours or so.


The object will exit the ship's stability bubble, causing a course deviation. Navigation will detect this and correct the course. The first time it will look like a natural occurrence. Repeated bumps of the exact same size, and especially of the same side of the ship, will make it obvious that someone is dumping things overboard.


the solder will end up somewhere in the depths of interstellar space along your route.
What would be involved in retoractively sabotaging the solder?

Sorry, my question was about what is the reaction on ship to the ship dropping out of hyperspace?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #596
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
What would be involved in retoractively sabotaging the solder?
I'm letting you do things out of order, within limits. In this instance, destroying the materials needed to fix the problem before you cause the problem. So basically coming up with ways to sabotage the solder.
Quote:
Sorry, my question was about what is the reaction on ship to the ship dropping out of hyperspace?
ahh... that hasn't happened yet. You've induced a wobble in the stabilization field that will force it to drop out of hyperspace, but its still building and becoming a problem: you have to wait 6 to 18 hours after introducing the wobble to see anything happen.



Right now we are playing out a planning meeting PLUS the things that happen as a result of that meeting. We aren't doing anything that will happen after the ship drops out of hyperspace.



When the ship drops out of hyperspace, there will be a fuss, but I'll cover that when it happens.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, I'll start with whichever would be convenient for my shift. Plan is:
-> Fib to Thibi (split for efficiency, whatever)
-> Stealthy go over to the work area (whichever's convenient)
-> Try to find the voltmeter
-> Maybe try to fry it depending on the situation.
Lets say that laser maintenance is the most convenient. The gravity in that area is strange, but you have good reasons to go there. The trick will be convincing people you have a reason to be alone there: its a rather public area. How will you present yourself (even if only in demeanor) that will make them not question why you are alone, and still give you time to look around for where they might keep the voltmeters?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
TGLS: She can help Hua in breaking the nozzles. With her psi power she can mess with electronics easily, and can also damage the solder and the nozzles faster than Hua with her psi.
By which you mean you can melt metal with your hands, I presume.


Quote:
Gnomes: I am just waiting for the time they agree on taking the Nav-Chief “down”.
I think GnomesOfZurich did say he's up for trying to intercept Commander Zybo on his way to lunch. Shall we run that?


Quote:
Erick/TGLS: Pacifica asked Hua to bring her radios (walkie-talkies), it’s been a while since this request so I wonder if that actually happened during our current time-frame. With the radios, I could tell you if Zibo leaves or not.
So radios are only given to officers, for security reasons, and they only have a single radio channel. (Yes, more than one ship has probably been lost to fire because of this).



There is, however, a fairly robust wireless communication system. You can talk to people in adjacent compartments via wireless communication, and some of the more important compartments are wired to each other. Pacifica's work compartment happens to be wired to almost every other major part of the ship: its the control compartment.


The messages sent via the wired communications usually speak to the entire compartment, or feed into a high-clearance terminal.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #597
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The trick will be convincing people you have a reason to be alone there: its a rather public area. How will you present yourself (even if only in demeanor) that will make them not question why you are alone, and still give you time to look around for where they might keep the voltmeters?
Sorry, by stealthily I meant, "Turn invisible and walk around quietly without running into things". Here's a photorefraction roll.

Quote:
[393] 21-04-01 23:37:38 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 1 + 2 = 7 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #598
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Sorry, by stealthily I meant, "Turn invisible and walk around quietly without running into things". Here's a photorefraction roll.

Oh, that kind of stealthy.



After about 10 minutes of looking around, Hua identifies the cabinet the voltmeters are kept in. Its not locked.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #599
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

There is, however, a fairly robust wireless communication system (...) Pacifica's work compartment happens to be wired to almost every other major part of the ship (...).

I think GnomesOfZurich did say he's up for trying to intercept Commander Zybo on his way to lunch. Shall we run that?
When could jump to this part once all players are ready.

Pacifica could use her psi to speak a single word by the time the nav-chief leaves. I think "Pooka-Pooka" will work. This won't expose her and might let Day know it is time for action.

Quote:
By which you mean you can melt metal with your hands, I presume.
Yeah, that's more or less the idea!
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #600
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
After about 10 minutes of looking around, Hua identifies the cabinet the voltmeters are kept in. Its not locked.
Is it too high traffic to just pop the cabinet open and try frying them in less than a minute? Assuming not:

Quote:
[394] 21-04-02 22:10:39 CEST
Confuse
3d6 <= 15 : 1 + 2 + 5 = 8 ... success
[395] 21-04-02 22:11:10 CEST
Elec. Repair at -4
3d6 <= 9 : 1 + 4 + 6 = 11 ... failure
Hm... If it's possible the Voltmeters are broken (but needs to be verified in some way that can't trivially be done), then I'll just roll with it. If not, then I'll try a more obvious approach.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.