Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [MH] Inhuman Templates: Yōkai

Very nice. I approve of both of these. Gonna be a fun game, me thinks. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #12
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Very nice. I approve of both of these. Gonna be a fun game, me thinks. :-)
Thanks! I hope I can manage to pull it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenLiLorian View Post
I'd love to see your take on Kitsune: We've got an NPC Kitsune in a MH game, and have never quite been able to agree on what her Inhuman lens should look like.
Here's my attempt, please feel free to criticize it:

YOUKO
200 points

You are an enlightened fox with magical powers. Perhaps you're self-made, surpassing your beastly existence through long meditations under the sun and the moon, or you might be an emissary of the Gods imbued with their divine essence. Regardless of your origin, the reputation of your kind precedes you. Some of your predecessors brought the demise of entire dynasties, while others peacefully coexisted with humans and became a sign of good omens. Which of these are you? Maybe you simply hasn't decided yet.
You take the appearance of an attractive human as your native form and has shapeshifting powers allowing you to impersonate other human or take new appearances of your own creation. You can revert into the form of a fox if you so will, but this form might carry marks of your supernatural existence, such as silvery pelt with red markings or multiple tails. You are also capable of using your shapeshifting power to alter the environment around you to create convincing illusions, although this limits you to your native or fox forms.

Attribute Modifiers: IQ+2 [40]; HT+1 [10].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: Will+1 [5]; Per+2 [10]
Advantages: Alternate Form (Fox; Reduced Time 1, +20%) [18]; Animal Empathy [5]; Appearance (Very Handsome/Beautiful) [16]; Discriminatory Smell (Emotion Sense, +50%) [23]; Illusion (Extended, Taste/Smell and Touch, +40%; Independence, +40%; Ranged, +40%; Decreased Range, x1/5, -20%) [10*]; Morph (Cosmetic, -50%; Retains Shape, -20%; Reduced Time 1, +20%) [50*]; Night Vison 3 [3]; Versatile [5]; Voice [10].
Perk: Perfume [1].
Disadvantages: Curious (12) [-5].
Quirk: Practical Joker [-1].
*Alternative Abilities.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Thanks! I hope I can manage to pull it off!
I'm sure you'll do just fine. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Here's mine from my Chronicles of Ceteri campaign (minus the lenses):

Quote:
Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20]; IQ +1 [20].
Secondary Attributes: Will +2 [10].
Advantages: Alternate Form (Fox) [15]; Appearance (Beautiful/Handsome) [12]; Craftiness 1 [5]; Discrimantory Smell [15]; Enhanced Senses 1 [29]; Fox-Fire Wisp 1* [30]; Kitsune Talent 1† [5]; Magery 1 (Extrinsic) [10]; Magery 1 (Intrinsic) [2]; Obscure Emotions 1 (Defensive, +50%; Extended, Mundane Predictions, +20%; No Area Effect, -50%; Stealthy, +100%) [5]; Resistant to Sickness (+3) [5]; Ultrahearing [5]; Unaging [5]; Vibration Sense (Air) [10].
Disadvantages: Chummy [-5]; Code of Honor (Kitsune)‡ [-5]; Curious (12) [-5]; Cynophobia (12) [-5]; Gluttony (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Supernatural Features (Mirrors reflect anthropomorphic fox instead of human) [-5]; Supernatural Features (Shadow is shaped like an anthropomorphic fox instead of a person) [-5]; Trickster (12 or less) [-15].
Perks: Discreet Ritual (Illusion) [1]; Extended Skill 1 (Sleight of Hand defaults to Craftiness) [1]; Honest Face [1]; Ritual Mastery 1 (Illusion) [1].
Perks: Amoral [1]; Frightens Canines [-1].
Features: Affected by Thresholds; Affected by Path of Spirit instead of Path of Body or Path of Mind; Can be detected by sensitive or devout individuals and animals; Natural sorcerer – doesn’t require Ritual Adept. Automatically familiar with Illusion spell.
* Fox-Fire Wisps: Burning Attack 1d (Affect Substantial, Selective, +50%; Area Effect, 1 yard, +25%; Extended Duration, 3x, +20%; Extra Passes 1, +10%; Homing, Dark Vision, +75%; Incendiary, +10%; Increased Range, LOS, +40%; Independent, +70%; Mobile 1, +50%; Overhead, +30%; Persistent, +40%; Selective Area, +20%; Selective Effect, +20%; Takes Recharge, 1d+1 seconds, -10%) [28] + Ignition [1] + Illumination [1].
† Gives a bonus to Artist (Illusion), Detect Lies, Escape, Fast-Talk, Observation, and Sex Appeal. Instead of getting a reaction bonus it gives them a bonus to use all their racial abilities instead.
‡ Code of Honor (Kitsune): Keep your promises, repay favors, stay loyal to your lovers, defer to those who are respectful to you or others.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
Sorenant

Quote:
Here's mine from my Chronicles of Ceteri campaign (minus the lenses):
Nice build!
Interesting combination of advantage and perks under Fox-Fire Wisp. I decided to fold this kind of ability into Illusion, as they are treated as such in older stories.

What's the Enhanced Senses advantage? I also don't recall Extrinsic and Intrinsic Magery, is it from the expanded RPM book or campaign specific?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Nice build!
Interesting combination of advantage and perks under Fox-Fire Wisp. I decided to fold this kind of ability into Illusion, as they are treated as such in older stories.
I wanted mine to do damage. :-)

Quote:
What's the Enhanced Senses advantage?
From my campaign. It's the typical inhuman thing where the monster has crazy good senses.

Quote:
Enhanced Senses [P]
30 points/level
This meta-trait is intended for supernatural creatures with supernaturally acute senses like werewolves or vampires. This gives a +3 bonus to Perception, and an additional +2 bonus for Hearing, Smell, Taste, or Vision rolls. Additionally, the character ignores -3 in darkness penalties, and can zoom in on particular sights or sounds. Though this comes at a price, attacks that used sense-based vectors last longer and the character may become lost in his senses on failed Sense rolls. Up to three levels can be taken.

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Perception+3 [15].
Advantages: Acute Hearing 2 [4]; Acute Sense of Taste and Smell 2 [4]; Acute Vision 2 [4]; Enhanced Tracking 1 (Multi Lock-ons, +20%) [7]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Parabolic Hearing 1 [4]. If taken additional times, each level adds two levels of Acute Senses and Night Vision and one level each of Enhanced Tracking, Parabolic Hearing, and Perception.
Disadvantages: Susceptible (Sense-Based Attacks ₯1.5) [-10*].
Quirks: Sensory-Flare [-1†].

* Any attacks that rely on your senses to affect you (e.g., a flash-bang grenade) have 1.5 times the normal duration.
† When the character fails by 5+ or critically fails a Perception or Sense-based roll, he must make a Will roll with a penalty equal to half his margin of failure. Success means nothing happens, failure results in the character being Dazed for (1d + Margin of Failure) seconds. Critical failure turns this into minutes instead.

Quote:
I also don't recall Extrinsic and Intrinsic Magery, is it from the expanded RPM book or campaign specific?
Extrinsic Magery is a flavor of RPM I made for the campaign. It uses Effect Shaping as its base and mucks with Greater Effects by having them inflict FP penalties instead of multiplying energy. Intrinsic magic is essentially inborn or racial magic with the Magical modifier but also includes stuff like imbuements, chi skills, etc.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
Sorenant

Quote:
I wanted mine to do damage. :-)
And a pretty mean one, I see!
I probably should have asked in my last reply, but I have a few questions regarding its construction: What's the "Affect Substantial, Selective" enhancement? Are Innate Attacks meant for Insubstantial targets by default in your campaign? Also, shouldn't Mobile 1 cost +40% instead of +50%?

Quote:
From my campaign. It's the typical inhuman thing where the monster has crazy good senses.
Why multiple Acute (Senses) instead of Perception? To avoid affecting Per-based skills?
Interesting to see Parabolic Hearing in the meta-trait because I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I were never quite able to "get" the advantage. I looked up old thread but none has been very convincing. I've considered reducing its cost to [3] and allow one to double the bonus by taking Aim maneuver, like Telescopic Vision, but for now I'm just ignoring it as always. Do you have any houserule for it?

Quote:
Extrinsic Magery is a flavor of RPM I made for the campaign. It uses Effect Shaping as its base and mucks with Greater Effects by having them inflict FP penalties instead of multiplying energy. Intrinsic magic is essentially inborn or racial magic with the Magical modifier but also includes stuff like imbuements, chi skills, etc.
Nice idea. I tend to only use Power based magic but if I ever decide to include others I might integrate it like this.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
And a pretty mean one, I see!
I probably should have asked in my last reply, but I have a few questions regarding its construction: What's the "Affect Substantial, Selective" enhancement?
Let's them affect insubstantial targets regardless of what plane they are on at the time..

Quote:
Are Innate Attacks meant for Insubstantial targets by default in your campaign?
Just quirk of the Kitsune I built is all.

Quote:
Also, shouldn't Mobile 1 cost +40% instead of +50%?
Yeah, that's a mistake.

Quote:
Why multiple Acute (Senses) instead of Perception? To avoid affecting Per-based skills?
Yup.

Quote:
Interesting to see Parabolic Hearing in the meta-trait because I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I were never quite able to "get" the advantage. I looked up old thread but none has been very convincing. I've considered reducing its cost to [3] and allow one to double the bonus by taking Aim maneuver, like Telescopic Vision, but for now I'm just ignoring it as always. Do you have any houserule for it?
Naw, it's basically a bonus to Hearing and lets you phase out other sounds. Kromm wrote something on it but I can't seem to find it.

Quote:
Nice idea. I tend to only use Power based magic but if I ever decide to include others I might integrate it like this.
:-)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #19
Sorenant

Quote:
Let's them affect insubstantial targets regardless of what plane they are on at the time..
Just quirk of the Kitsune I built is all.
Yeah, that's a mistake.
Yup.
Naw, it's basically a bonus to Hearing and lets you phase out other sounds. Kromm wrote something on it but I can't seem to find it.
:-)
Thanks for the clarification, I'll see if I can find Kromm's post about Parabolic Hearing.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I'll see if I can find Kromm's post about Parabolic Hearing.
It's not on the forums because it was a question I asked over email! Here's the exchange:

Quote:
> One of my players pointed out that mechanically these basically do the
> same thing when using the hearing chart. What am I missing?
> What's the difference between Acute Hearing and Parabolic Hearing
> mechanically speaking?

Parabolic Hearing has an effect that's *mentioned* but not *quantified* in the BASIC SET: "filter out background noise." The "Hearing" rules on p. B358 do note, "The GM may make this roll easier or harder, depending
on . . . surrounding noises," but that's extremely vague.

Fortunately, GURPS HIGH-TECH, p. 158 rates the penalty for this: -5 to -10. I wouldn't wipe out the *entire* background noise penalty for any level of Parabolic Hearing (that would front-load Parabolic Hearing 1 to a silly degree), but I'd ignore -2 per level of Parabolic Hearing.
Examples:

Acute Hearing 2 [4]: +2 to Hearing rolls, background noise as
usual. So without background noise, the roll would be Per+2, while
with moderate background noise (e.g., street sounds or a TV in the
room) inflicting -5, the roll would be Per-3.

Parabolic Hearing 1 [4]: *Effective* +1 to Hearing rolls,
background noise gives -2 less. So without background noise, the
roll would be Per+1, while with moderate background noise
inflicting -5, the roll would be Per-2.

Acute Hearing 6 [12]: +6 to Hearing rolls, background noise as
usual. So without background noise, the roll would be Per+6, while
with brutal background noise (e.g., rock concert or battlefield)
inflicting -10, the roll would be Per-4.

Parabolic Hearing 3 [12]: *Effective* +3 to Hearing rolls,
background noise gives -6 less. So without background noise, the
roll would be Per+3, while with brutal background noise inflicting
-10, the roll would be Per-1.

In effect, for the same points you can have +2N to all Hearing, or +N to Hearing in calm conditions but +3N to Hearing in noisy ones.

Which is better? Depends on what you want to do.

There's a reason why PIs use parabolic mics and not regular mics with amplifiers, and why WWII sound detectors used big parabolic horns, not standard mics with tube amps: You can ignore a lot of interference. Get Parabolic Hearing if you plan to spy on people at the opera or in the street, or hope to notice sneaky enemies on battlefields.

But if what you want to do is, say, open safes by ear or eavesdrop on whispered conversations in silent settings, Acute Hearing is better.

Become a Patron!

Tags
monster hunters, racial template