Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #31
wellspring

Default Re: [Spaceships] Hull size of Falcon...

It seems to me that since the space inside is pressurized and accessible from the crew section, that the cargo space is actually steerage cargo (5 tons per cabin sacrificed).

Since reconfiguring between types of habitat modules is easier than switching to another type of module entirely, this seems consistent with the EU lore that YT-series ships are easy to reconfigure.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #32
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
It seems to me that since the space inside is pressurized and accessible from the crew section, that the cargo space is actually steerage cargo (5 tons per cabin sacrificed).
The listing for steerage cargo specifies that it is pressurized, which certainly seems a case of exceptio probat regulam, but Cargo Hold systems are later implied to be pressurized and accessible to the rest of the ship as well:
"If the spacecraft hull is breached or a cargo bay door is opened, the entire spacecraft is affected." - SS p42.
If that is the case, what exactly you get from steerage cargo, aside from the vaguely defined "climate control" and the ability to carry "livestock and delicate goods," suggesting life support capacity. Do note that, if Cargo Hold is not pressurized, "delicate goods" means "virtually anything except ceramics and things very carefully designed to survive vacuum".
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If that is the case, what exactly you get from steerage cargo, aside from the vaguely defined "climate control" and the ability to carry "livestock and delicate goods," suggesting life support capacity. ".
Plumbing might be what you get extra in steerage cargo. Water ingoing and waste outgoing. Not much reason to have these in regular cargo.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #34
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Plumbing might be what you get extra in steerage cargo. Water ingoing and waste outgoing. Not much reason to have these in regular cargo.
Makes sense. I'd expect a big cargo hold to have facilities, as well, but it would be quickly overwhelmed if crammed full of people or livestock. Think about how bad it would get if a bunch of refugees were housed long-term in a warehouse designed to handle a half dozen employees for eight hours a day.

The "delicate goods" note might just mean that the steerage cargo can be assumed to be small lockers and such, and once a cargo space gets big enough for forklifts and shipping containers, a bottle of vintage cognac should be stored a little more carefully.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #35
Tinman

I would expect a standard cargo module to be a big empty space. The cargo it would carry would be preloaded containers, pallets of goods or large items (like cars & farm machinery). The steerage cargo space having extra life support / living facilities &/or smaller spaces for "delicate" cargos not to be "bounced around" in transit.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #36
Fred Brackin

I just got access to Disney+ for Christmas and have been watching 1 episode per day of The Mandalorian. I was trying to hold out for watching all the current eps before I got into "Gurps:The Mandalorian" but then this old thread with a lot of stuff about ship sizes pops up.

I've been looking at the Mandalorian's ship and we get to see enough of it close up that I suspect there's a full-size mock up.

From thsoe looks I'd estimate it as being the size of medium-largish helicopter and not quite as large as a CH-47

"Chinook"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#Specifications_(CH-47F)

Maybe 80% of that size. It's definitely smaller than a RW Space Shuttle (100 tons).

Anyway, the CH-47 has a maximum take-off weight of 25 tons which puts it in Spaceships SM+5.

I did a rough design for the Mandalorian's ship and it comes in okay at SM+5. You can't have a regular Habitat module but you could have one in as an oversized system and there is at least a toilet and I'm sure you could ahng a couple of hammocks somewhere.

The reat was quite simple. It appears to be a pretty simple vehicle. 3-6 armors (Light Alloy because it sure looks like aluminum to me), a Control room, a Medium battery of weapons, a power plant, 2 reactionless thrusters plus 2 FTL(Hyperdrives) for neatness and you've got room left over for cargo and possible multiple layers of not very good armor.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #37
acrosome

This isn't going to be very helpful, but the BEST answer to this question is likely "whatever size you want it to be." Because SW is such an incredibly over-the-top cinematic setting that trying to shoehorn anything about it into defined measurements is just an exercise in futility.

It isn't often that I give that answer to such questions, but in a case like this I feel that it is appropriate, because of the setting. Plot is far more important than what hull size the Falcon can be shoehorned into, for this one. And if you want four seats in the cockpit, ok, there are four seats in the cockpit.

I absolutely love playing around with Spaceships, but that's my answer on this one.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #38
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
This isn't going to be very helpful, .
Absolutely unhelpful.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #39
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Absolutely unhelpful.
Well, I did call it.

But I actually was trying to help. In short, my advice is to stop obsessing about it, because there is no remotely correct answer. And whether the ship that Han tools around in is SM+7 or SM+8 doesn't matter. Pick one. (Or work out how to do SM+7.5, since the most popular data seem to support that.) Move on. Especially since everyone is going to produce conflicting information to support their own opinion, since there is so much uncoordinated fanon out there.

OTOH, if I were modeling the Discovery I'd have to get into the weeds a bit. Possibly even for the 2300AD ships, or the Sulaco. But not the Millenium Falcon. That's like arguing about how to model Gandalf's staff.

Actually the BEST advice I could give would be not to try and convert SW perfectly. Instead, develop a setting inspired by it, with GURPS mechanisms and designed to your liking, rather than trying to shoehorn stuff in that doesn't work well. Like the Psi-Wars setting, which is excellent for what it is (I'm just not a fan of space fantasy, including SW). But I do understand why people want to convert their favorite settings.

Last edited by acrosome; 12-31-2020 at 09:07 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #40
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Well, I called it. I am profoundly uninterested in whether the ship that Han tools around in is SM+7 or SM+8, because it doesn't matter. Pick one. Move on. ].
Excellent advice. You should take it and let other people discuss the matter if it interests them.

Tags
spaceships, star wars