Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
Purple Snit

Default Re: [Supers] Marvel Movies Power Level?

If I were to plan a MCU-style campaign, I would say minimum of 500 points for character creation, but I wouldn't enforce a hard ceiling.
Avengers stories have Thor and Black Widow in the same adventure, and it's all in the writing, in giving everyone something to do [Thor isn't a spy with assassin training, Natasha isn't a God...]. The same applies to campaigns. You have to set the campaign ground rules before hand, and require good origin stories from original characters, but it's possible to have 500-pt "normals" and 5,000-pt "Gods" in the same game; I've done it. It's work, but it can be a lot of fun, too. It's not about nerfing the Hulk or Thor; it's about including things for Daredevil and Iron Fist to do as part of the adventure [I]in addition to[I] the cosmic badassery of punching Chitarii leviathans.
There isn't a hard-and-fast "how many points would you give everyone", because you can't build Spidey and Venom, Iron Man and Hawkeye, on the same number of points, they are too different in terms of mortality, abilities, skills, and powers. But you can set a minimum, and make sure the players know what you are trying to do so they work within the cinematic scope of the campaign.
Hopefully this is helpful.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Yeah, when someone suggests that Spider-Man has DX 14, though, I start to smell agenda - and a turn toward a conversation I'm honestly tired of rereading and wasn't really asking about. I respect the stat normalizers, but I wasn't really asking about how to build Spider-Man as a "normal" kid. I'm interested in the reality that's being represented in those movies.
... which entirely missed the point of my post. -> Point value, stat choice, and other things are highly dependent on what switches/rules you are using.

GURPS is a toolkit useful for building all sorts of thing.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the DX being represented in the recent Spider-Man movies is VERY high, i.e. blowing right past the GURPS "stat normalization" style of game altogether. If you really think the Tom Holland Spider-Man has DX 14, well, then, okay....
That's fine if you want to believe that. I didn't see him using a lot of skills, so it's hard to judge exactly what it should be. Nearly every super feat he does would be advantage/power based (i.e. the I don't care if you have a DX50, you can't dodge while blind, fire dozens of accurate shots to structural supports, or leap around town all day).

Quote:
But what I'm really trying to ask here is, if the Marvel MCU movies were a GURPS campaign, how many CPs would you give your players to make heroes? When a new hero or villain shows up in the movies (in the game based as closely as possible on those movies), what would your expectation be of the number of CPs she's built on?
My most recent super hero campaign was around MCU level, had a MCU super hero feel, and was 750 points. Of course, if you lack the context of what that can buy you and what you'll be facing I don't know that it tells you a lot...
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #23
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
KYOS works well for low numbers. For high ST values, the rule starts to fall apart. The numbers for Lifting ST and Striking ST do not scale in the same way. So, you have a Super that is capable of carrying the entire planet Earth on its back, but still does not have enough damage to crush a tank.
Virtually every Super ST implementation requires other stats or rules to be adjusted for consistency. Tank ST/HP should already be adjusted which just leaves the problem of DR. In my case, I've applied DR adjustments to tanks to put them on the same quadratic scale as ST for a 4 color Supers campaign, but I've seen other suggested fixes as well.

In any case, that's better suited to another thread.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #24
Infornific

Since we're talking about the MCU, it's worth recalling the Technical Natasha analysis of a fight scene from Iron Man 2 that considers what she'd need in GURPS terms to do what she does in the movies. It's quite high - 20+ skill with Extra Attacks or even higher skill. Which given her other high skills suggests a scarily high DX. Alternately, something like a high Fist! skill in a campaign with Wildcard points and the assumption she burns wildcard points in her big fight scenes.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You could always make liberal use of Godlike Extra Effort (Powers, p. 161) and give everybody Energy Reserve (Heroic) and high Will. If all supers have, say, Will 20 and ER 100, and most are otherwise mostly normal . . . that costs 350 points or less, yet you'll routinely see BL magnified by up to 50 (that's like multiplying ST by about 7, so ST 10 people perform at ST 70 for a single stunt). Toss in Wildcard Points and/or Destiny Points with which to buy success or trade for more energy at 25 energy/point. Maybe limit uses of such extra effort to whatever the wildcard skills and Destiny actually cover.

That can severely reduce the points needed for certain kinds of supers.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Since we're talking about the MCU, it's worth recalling the Technical Natasha analysis of a fight scene from Iron Man 2 that considers what she'd need in GURPS terms to do what she does in the movies. It's quite high - 20+ skill with Extra Attacks or even higher skill. Which given her other high skills suggests a scarily high DX. Alternately, something like a high Fist! skill in a campaign with Wildcard points and the assumption she burns wildcard points in her big fight scenes.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you! About to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You could always make liberal use of Godlike Extra Effort (Powers, p. 161) and give everybody Energy Reserve (Heroic) and high Will. If all supers have, say, Will 20 and ER 100, and most are otherwise mostly normal . . . that costs 350 points or less, yet you'll routinely see BL magnified by up to 50 (that's like multiplying ST by about 7, so ST 10 people perform at ST 70 for a single stunt). Toss in Wildcard Points and/or Destiny Points with which to buy success or trade for more energy at 25 energy/point. Maybe limit uses of such extra effort to whatever the wildcard skills and Destiny actually cover.

That can severely reduce the points needed for certain kinds of supers.
This is a totally awesome idea. I suppose this could potentially make for a very gritty Supers campaign.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #27
Prince Charon

Something that's pretty appropriate for Super Normals in general, including those in the MCU, is to give them high levels of various luck-related advantages, including Serendipity (depending on the character, Anders's suggestion of 10 levels with Wishing as a justification for other things would fit pretty well) and possibly even IT: Damage Reduction ('You are very lucky you weren't hurt worse!'). This both brings their point-value up closer to the others in the game, and explains how they're still alive.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power level, supers