Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] Switchable spells

In Swedish DoD, a wizard could switch out his spell selection provided he had access to a grimoire with the appropriate spells. So, how to do that in Sorcery?

I think a Modular Ability (Super-Memorization; Physical +100%; Sorcery Abilities Only -20%; Preparation Required, 1 hour, -50%) [6.5 + 3.9 per point of abilities] would be the best way. So for 1 slot up to 4 points (minimum for Sorcerous Empowerment 1) you would pay 22.1 or 23 points. Obviously you'd need a lot of points to make this work, but the flexibility would be nice.

I wonder if there's a point cost to the fact that this is the only way you can get Sorcery Alternate Abilities, i.e. all your Sorcery spells must be Modular Abilities. What advantage should be modified?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: [Sorcery] Switchable spells

I have been building a fairly similar system for wizardry, but when thinking about what modular ability to use I hit the fact that super memorization never quite fit in with the modular ability building rules in powers.

It is costed as being two of costly, slow, and subject to external interference.

1 second/point is not really slow, though I guess it is slow compared to instant, materials are reusable so it is not costly in the long run. Compare it to computer brain that is priced as only having one of the three, but basically does the same.

After a while of scratching my head I finally gave up and went with 5 points/level and then slapped on the limitations to that instead of trying to bake the limitations in the cost/point value.

I used 10 minutes immediate preparation needed in my version(-45%) along with a gadget and that sorcery spells only that I also priced at -20% and few other modifiers. After all modifiers I ended up with 1.75 points/point in the slot and called it good enough.

At 1.75 points/point it is basically equivalent in cost to 4.75 spells for a sorcerer, I felt that the 10 minute switch time balances well with that number of spells.

Your 3.9 points/point is equivalent to a sorcerer knowing 15.5 spells. So in your example the sorcerer is in most cases much better off as the other mage needs to prepare for 1 hour before being able to switch again and the sorcerer can do that in seconds, the 15 spells giving likely enough utility.

Tags
modular abilities, sorcery